1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A Son and a Father

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Mar 31, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have thought about. Probably the Sportster first. Hot Rider may object though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I dunno haven't you hot rodded the sportster?

Not a good bike to put a first timer on, can't think size, have to think power as well.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Put him on the wife's bike first..not the hot rode Sporster. Ease him in a little at a time.
  4. JohnnyBiker

You guys haven't listened. The Suzuki is his his for the summer.

5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, were supposed to listen, you ought to know we all can't remember sheet :confused:
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

you ain't payin attention to what you said first...
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Yesterday my dad had stopped by so we could get today's agenda figured out. Of course the subject of bikes came up. A small road block that we came across is the insurance. Well, let's just say that it was kind of a headache. What we both agreed upon is that I will "sell" him the Suzuki, hang on to the check until he is done with it. Returning the check. I like this rout because then he is riding under his policy and he takes all the risk. He agrees. No matter if you are family or not, things get dicey when injury and money are concerned.

After we got that out of the way, he sat on the bike and his eyes lit up when he discovered how light it is. He even tried on my helmet. Now that was awesome. Looked liked a goose stepper with no question! Lmfao! He even asked about riding glasses. This one is going to be tuff.

8. JohnnyBiker

Today my dad stopped over and we got things squared away for the riding season. We ordered his helmet, started to look for a leather coat and decent boots. It looks like he set to start riding, and I am looking forward to sharing what it is I know about riding with him.:)

9. JohnnyBiker

Well, dad and I got the title transferred over to him. It sounds like we are going to go for a ride tomorrow. I am so looking forward this it is unreal.:)

10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Ride Safe and have fun
  11. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Go safe, and remind him to watch out for loose debris on the edges of the road. Spring riding seems worst for this as the snow melts and the salt/sand crap piles up in the corners and in the pavement cracks. I'm sure you know, but it might be refresher training for him.
  12. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Have a nice ride.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Today my dad and I were able to get out and ride. It was kind of cold but we went ahead and rode. At first we avoided traffic as he wanted to get used to controls. Good idea. I noticed that he was struggling a little so I decided to take him to a parking lot away from all traffic so he could relax. As he was riding in the parking lot, periodically I would give a few suggestions on what he could do differently as far as his braking, gas and clutch use. He took the suggestions well and quickly improved. Finally after a little bit, I asked if he wanted to go out of town and he was all for it. We actually did a lot of out of town riding and I was pretty impressed with how well he did right away, especially considering the wind. (The Suzuki is pretty lite).

Of c I use there things that he needs to work on such as braking and other small intricacies of the Suzuki, but for his first ride, he did really well. :cool:

14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you did the right thing hitting the parking lot , & giving him a chance to get use to the bike
  15. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

When the weather gets warmer, it'll be easier for him. It's no fun riding in the cold.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Yeah it surely helped that is for sure. As far as him making his turns he did really well off the bat. One other observation was that he favors that front brake a little too much. He will get it.

17. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Favouring the front isn't a terrible thing unless you're in gravel or some other snotty thing and you're ham handed with it. The vast majority of riders getting on a bike don't use the front brake enough, if at all so your dad is well up on the learning curve.
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

that's about how I show My Daughter how to ride , here in the yard (2 acres) then out on the street ,I even rode on back with her , she had all ready bought the sporty so she was bound & determined to ride
  19. JohnnyBiker

Now that I have had some time to ride with my dad, I do think that it will be awesome riding with him. Him and I have clocked about 700 moles together and with each mile he is becoming more and more seasoned. Although at first I was concerned about him and his ability, I have been pleasantly reminded of his determination.

I am purposely bringing him to a bunch of dealerships (Harley of course) so he can see what is available. He is leaning towards a Heritage and a specific one as well. It is a 2011 blue in color. When he looks at that bike, I just know that he will buy it if it is still there.

Next weekend while I am sitting in the chair getting new ink, he will be doing his endorsement class. He is pretty pumped that is fore sure. And you know what, so am I.

20. JohnnyBiker

Tomorrow my dad will be going to test for his endorsement. He stopped by the house yesterday and set up Saturday to go shopping! What will he get? I feel like a kid in the candy store. :)