1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Accelerator jet is clogged, can it be removed?

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by 99DWG, Feb 5, 2018.

1. 99DWG

99DWG New Member

Im in the process of rebuilding a carb for a 99 Dyna Wide Glide. The bike sat for 5 years in a shed and the carb was in bad shape. Ive cleaned it good, let it soak in carb cleaner for 8 hours and tried carb cleaner in the can and compressed air. I cannot get air to come out through the accelerator jet. I did get some black liquid to come out of it one time but that was it. Im thinking at this point i just need to remove it and clean it. Whats the best way to do this without tearing up the jet or the float bowl. Also, do i need to do anything special to reinstall it? Thanks
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Here are the instructions for removing that nozzle. Just be careful since there is a tiny needle plunger underneath it, and some had a spring or ball.

https://cv-performance.com/accelerator-pump-nozzle-installation

The instructions are to replace with a low profile nozzle but you could probably reuse your old one if you are careful with it.
  3. 99DWG

99DWG New Member

Thanks for the reply. I removed the jet with a drill per the instructions. It was difficult to get it tight enough to really grasp it so i chewed the outside of the jet up some but the top part of the jet was un harmed. Once removed, i found my issue. Inside was a piece that looked exactly like the plunger for the float bowl but smaller and with no rubber. This piece had thick yellow varnish on it and had molded itself to the inside under the accelerator jet. I was eventually able to get it freed by using carb cleaner and an air compressor. I let the plunger sit in carb cleaner for about an hour and this removed most of the varnish. I reinstalled the plunger and reinstalled the jet (i had to use the drill to grasp it again and just pushed it back in). After all this, its working as it should and it now flowing air through it when using the air compressor. The jet is still nice and tight. Thanks for all the help
    Red Rider likes this.