1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Access to EZ Just while installed on Softail custom

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by Skidpalace, May 22, 2014.

1. Skidpalace

Skidpalace Member

Hi,
    So I installed the tuner kit a while ago and I am trying to figure out how everyone is getting access to the EZjust screw for adjustment.
    I just now realized that only some bikes have the cross over pipe like I have on the softail. This pipe prevents easy access to the screw rendering it largely useless. I think I need to remove the air cleaner and housing to get access to the screw. when the bike is cold, I can just barely get my fingers through from the primary side enough to nudge the screw a bit at a time.
    How are people adjusting their tunes with crossover tubes? Please tell me there is an easy way I haven't though of yet.
    Thanks.
  2. Skidpalace

Skidpalace Member

Sorry this is a '97 with the 1340 EVO and stock air filter housing (with K&N) and stock headers/heat shields.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Thats a bit of a issue, I would turn the screw in, while it's cold to bottom, back it out 2.5 turns and start the engine, if it seems to idle well and runs good leave it there.

Or use it as a good excuse to pick up a set of aftermarket headers and slip ons without the crossover LOL
  4. Skidpalace

Skidpalace Member

Ha ha. I hear ya. Although from what I've read, the crossover helps balance the reversion in straight pipes, similar to the h-pipe in performance cars. I have the baffles from the stock tapered mufflers removed, so I think (pure guess) that with the perforated ID of the open stock mufflers and the crossover, I still have a bit of back pressure to help with the midrange power.
    It idles fine now at what I think is about 2-1/2 turns out. My problem is tuning for now as I can't get to the mixture screw to turn it in until stumble. I will start another thread in the tuning kit forum for help dialing in the correct jets/mixture (plugs are loaded with carbon and I fouled a set of iridiums).
    [​IMG]
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately the only way around some of those cross overs is to remove the air cleaner, just be careful that your face isn't right in front of the carb when you crack the throttle for testing, as sometimes an uncovered carb can pop or backfire. In the past I would hold an old air cleaner against the carb (without the airbox) to apply pressure against the carb while tuning. This prevents the carb from popping off the manifold or allowing any vacuum leaks during tuning.

While the EZ-Just may be difficult to reach, it is still easier than balancing a screwdriver up into that little hole as with the original mixture screw.

Regarding carbon, make sure you are not getting oil blow back coming through the air cleaner breather bolts into the carburetor. This is common with some Evo models and will quickly foul the plugs. I would recommend a jetting in the range of 45/180 for your set up, and a EZ-Just setting around 2 to 2-3/4 out. Just make sure the EZ-Just is fully seated (screwed in) before starting. Below is what the EZ-Just looks like when seated, little to no threads showing.

[​IMG]
  6. Skidpalace

Skidpalace Member

Thanks Ken,
    I had a feeling I was a little too ambitious with the jets. I went with the 185/46.
    I think I will pull the carb again and jet down to your suggested sizes.
    That will give me a chance to replace the screw sleeve that I couldn't identify earlier.
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Get a pair of mechanix gloves