1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Adopted a soldier

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

You have no idea how much I hate it.

I'm trying to decide if I should start looking for a job down in the Denver - Loveland areas. They don't plow the parking lot in employee housing. It's snowed about 4 feet since I've lived here, and they haven't plowed it once. There are currently about 20 parking spots for 60 apartments because of the snow. I can't go to town after work or I won't get a parking space. So the only time I can get my mail or do any grocery shopping is before work. I have to rush home after work and can't leave. Like I told someone else, I might as well be married. ;) I like the job OK, but I'm not incredibly happy living here. I can't even go to Denver on the weekends because the interstate is always closed for avalanche abatement work. I feel trapped.

Sorry. Don't want to dump, but the mail issue is a real thorn in my side. :rant:
  2. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Update for Troops care packages

Abby,

Hope you don't mind me calling you Abby as opposed to Hot01. I contacted my buddy at New River USMC Air Base home of the Osprey MV-22 currently under deployment in Iraq and this is what I was told to do:

Get in touch with these guys: ( I have already left a message at the USO office to get someone to contact me)

Home page | USO after initial contact and discussions, we should have a much better idea of how to make sure that a package the we all can contribute to, gets delivered to the guys and gals out there.

Having said that, the USO has local offices throughout the US, they are in CO, TX, NJ, NY. So my suggestion is as follows:

1. Lets see how many people are willing to donate items for the troops, just so we can have an idea of how big a package this is going to be.

2. Since we have offices in NJ, TX and CO or any other location, whomever volunteers can then deliver the package to the local USO office for delivery.

3. If we only had a flag or a banner with the website's logo, I am sure we can send this along as well, and this website would be very popular with the guys in the sand box!!

4. We should run a poll to gauge people's interest in donating items for the troops

5. Make a decision as to who will deliver the package

Just a few thoughts, so please issue any other ideas/comments and we'll go from there.

Regards,
    German
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Abby there are a couple of management levels at PO's and they do try and get things done on time, unfortunately you can get a couple of old timers on short time that make things difficult.

My SIL was a top manager in WV for a post office, she said that there are specific rules on when the mail should be put out, picked up, etc and if your route or PO isn't doing the job then you should complain, get to the top person or next to top person at the PO take them aside and explain nicely the problems you're having.

Also if that doesn't work go online to USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) and file a complaint, those get logged and the manager at the PO station doesn't want to get them it's a problem for them paperwork and reputation wise. Many of the PO workers are good. I'd imagine the weather there from time to time really does fubar delivery items.

Hang in there, big moves like that are tough, I've moved from one side of the country and back several times, different cities etc, takes time to find friends and things to do, especially in the snow season, unless you ski lol

Once the spring hits CO will be very nice and you'll be out riding in the real mountains of the USA!
  4. SK

SK New Member

I know the PO in Carbondale, CO sucks big time. My friend recently mailed a letter within town and it took 8 days, and that happens all the time. She sends me stuff to Las Vegas and it takes forever.

I gather Abby is getting a real dose of living in the middle of the Rockies in winter. You're gonna really like it when spring melts the snow. I hope you ski, as that's why I want to move there. Otherwise..it's a chore living in those snowy conditions. Is there a UPS store nearby? They have mail boxes with regular street addresses so you can receive packages that can't be delivered to a PO Box.
  5. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

all teasing aside your not in ny any more people are not as much in a hurry out here, po included you are now living in the rockie mountains it snows there heck it snows here, I have 7-8 foot drifts, 50 mph winds and 0-10 degree temps, and colo. seems to be tropical comparitivly, move down to the front range you most definatly will find a job, and you will be right next to the rockies, your choice. ever think that they could use your knowledge at a harley dealer or indy just thought I would throw that out there. any way hang tough spring is on it's way. I should be in your area this spring/summer for thought.
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

There's definitely a culture clash going on! New Hampshire is pretty rural. At least where I was. I figured I was just moving from one rural spot to another. Heck, we even have a huge outlet mall here. I thought I was moving into the big time. :roflmao:

Rural NH is still New England, which is still compact and crowded and stuffy, even in way out places. I was stunned by the lack of professionalism in the workplace, and you (kind of) know me. I've been a biker chick for 30 years. Who would ever have thought that I could be so uptight?

I'll get the hang of it. Of course it would be nice if the movies that Blockbuster mailed out on the 2nd would ever get here. :gah: Honestly, it's only an hour to Denver. Where could this stuff be?

Back to troops stuff. I do have this guy that I "adopted", so I'll probably keep up with him and the stuff he wants and needs. If I don't hear back from him, I'll check out the options that gutierg listed.