1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Advice choosing exhaust system

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by midwestcowboy, Oct 6, 2017.

1. midwestcowboy

midwestcowboy Member

Hello to All;
    I read the outstanding exhaust article. It really made complicated physics easy to understand.. Thanks. I'm doing a scratch EVO era chopper build using a S&S V96 engine with matched carb. The bind I'm in is selecting the right pipes. Performance is paramount, with looks running second . Keeping in mind the "style" of that era, what would be my best options? Please be specific as to part numbers etc. Thanks.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

There are so many options in pipes that your parameters are hard to meet. Do you want pipes for high-torque street riding or for mid or high range performance for the long rides at freeway speeds (which have climbed to 85 out West now)? Well, given it is a chopper I'd guess the former over the latter, and again there are so many choices. All I'll say is get your pipes from a reputable, established manufacturer, like SuperTrapp/Kerker, Rhinehart, or any other in that category. You can quickly research the pipes online that look like what you want, just don't go too cheap. "Ya gets what ya's pay for", but you can overpay, too. Wish I could tell you exactly what to get, but you have to make the choice that balances performance, style, sound and power in the range you want. It is your ride.
    Good luck!