1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Advice/Opinions on a forward control set up.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Wheresthecorporal, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Wheresthecorporal

Wheresthecorporal Member

Evening,
    In the next few weeks I'll be picking up my Yamaha VXS-650, and like most first motorcycle owners I have great dreams as to what my new baby is going to transform into over time.
    But I confess I am quite an amateur in all things motorcycle and I'm prepared for a rather steep learning curve.
    My first question is in relation to forward controls, I was recommended by a friend to invest in a set (Being 6' 1")
    I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice on forward controls, I hear from some riders that they reduce control but offer some relief on long rides, does anybody have any brands and models they can recommend for the XVS650? Will forward controls interfere with my plans for highway bars & floor plates?

Thanks in advanced

Fox
  2. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Welcome to the forum. If you are REALLY lucky to be able to sit on some one's bike like yours and say , this is just right there will be some trial and error= spare parts in the garage (lol) Loved the foreward controls on my 94 wide/glide. If you like a nice long 200+ day cruising then a good seat and leg room are a top priority IMO . Short hop place to place no matter then.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Changes riding position, doesn't necessarily cause you to reduce riding ability but instead of being crouched up with knees under you, the ride should be more relaxing.

What about highway pegs on an engine guard to stretch out on longer rides leaving the stock controls in place.
  4. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.Bike shows are great for ideas make sure you know what you need foward controls can be expensive.Maybe a seat might help Good luck
  5. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I found that on non touring bikes the more different foot combinations you have the longer you can ride.
  6. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Glad I took a look at this thread again.I'm going to put skid bar on my wish list.