1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

AMA and 15% Ethanol

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Feb 28, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

about once a summer I go to our local airport and I do just this. I do not reduce it though. I fill up my bikes and go hot dogging. :cool:
  2. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Righteous!! Not sure on what I am going to run in my ole 1965 650 T120R but this is the mixture I am thinking about though. Gotta get the ole girl up and running and see how she is. She was supposedly rebuilt 3 years ago but has been sitting. Will know soon. :D
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Its about 58 miles to a airport for me. How much money do you think I'd save.
  4. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Well I never said it was for everybody. :cheers:
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Man please you really need to move out west. We got plenty of Greenies here and there are several places here that sell alcohol free gas. Yea, it cost more but sure makes the motor gun better. Airport gas Jonny hmmm, sounds interesting.
  6. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Av Gas is great for the more vintage bikes. Not sure about the new bikes with all of the EFI and other Electronic junk.
  7. JohnnyBiker

I don't run it consistently enough to notice any ill effects from the av gas. I know that I had to run it for a little while when I first had my Sportster done. Now I just do it to clean valves off, if it even does that I have no idea..... Not in one tank full anyways...
  8. cardboard

Av gas is highly refined diesel fuel
    That's what jets run on
  9. JohnnyBiker

really high octane!!!
  10. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Av Gas IE: light air plane fuel not JP is just pure Gas, just as before they used to add lead to the fuel. It has a higher octane rating which is quite nice in the burn rate. Aviation Fuel for light planes and JP for Jet Liners are different animals.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Av gas is about 107-110 octane if I am not mistaken. right around there anyways..
  12. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Yup and if you reduce it down as I described above you can get it to about 97 octane which is not so hot. You do not want it too hot if you are going to run it all the time and the MPG and power curve from the presentation I read is awesome.

Something every body can study on their own online.
  13. lucky

lucky Active Member

If you dont run E10 in aircraft what does that tell you. All we have in Maine is E10. Must be nice to be a corn farmer!
  14. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Just do a search on Marine Engines and E15. Some shocking presentations there. :(
  15. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

AV fuel is gasoline, JP fuel is kerosene. Can be rated as JP-4(Airforce),or JP-5(Navy,Higher flashpoint,for safety on carriers). Gasoline in a jet...KABOOOM!!
  16. cardboard

I've been workin on Marine engines for 4 yrs with a dude that has been from Marine schools.
    Just quit him this month. I posted a product that you should run in all ethanol fuel.
    Its startron.

All the problem is the EPA, Obama and Blended fuel.
    And if we keep going in the direction we are going we are gonna have even bigger problems.
    We are to where we have fuel now that fuel can't be stored.
    And we don't know the side effects from breathing ethanol fumes from vehicles.
  17. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Agree on the last part of your statement. They cannot pump the the new E15 through the old nationwide fuel line underground systems due to it's corrosion factors. Scary stuff.
  18. cardboard

19. 1965T120R

1965T120R Active Member

Scary stuff.
  20. cardboard

Some folks want to blame the Auto industry when they have problems with their auto Etcl
    Its not the auto industries or marine industrys fault.
    Its the folks that have their head stuck up somewhere where they can't see thinkin they are saving the world. When they are actually destroying it and using more natural resources.
    The problems are The fuel that the EPA is pushing us to use. That fuel is Ethanol fuel.

Obama has spend 90 Billion dollars pushing the EPA to mandate us farter in this direction
    They don't know or care what they are doing

THE EFFECTS OF E-10 ETHANOL FUEL IS REEKING HAVOC ON THE SMALL ENGINE INDUSTRY - YouTube