1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.
  1. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

One of the many benifits of being a HOG member is discounts on many things - On the con side (at least in my area) it is run by the HD dealers not the riders.
    AMA is also a good org. - they run a strong lobby in DC - but always have their hand out for money - lobbyists in DC get paid for what they do with your money. - They also are very strong in racing (think NASCAR for bikes) and are the convening auth. for rules and regs. for most of the races and offroad events.
    ABATE is one of the best - but you only get out of it by what you put into it. in some states they are a force to reckoned with and are very active in support of Charities. - All ABATES are state chapters with a connection to DC. - Most of the rest follow along these lines to one degree or another so your best bet is attend a few of the different gartherings and find one that suits your life style.:)
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sarge7 you also only get out of HOG what you put into it. Our chapter is owned by the dealer but he pretty much is hands off. Pays for our chapter membership (just belong to National) and he also pays for a few thousand bucks in door prises at our chapter Poker Run, buys the Poker Run pins for us. Pays for the meeting hall where we meet every month. He also gave 7 of us 350.00 each to go to the HOG training classes in Reno. Most chapter officers have to pay out of their own pocket to attend.
    Maybe that's why our chapter stays as large as it is every year.:D

I think we have it pretty good :D
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

This is the one I was looking at, They have some good ideas about M?C laws & going to DC is a must for all of us to defend or we will all be wareing full leathers & helmets years round , the coir part of this is what I'am checking into ,I ride for myself & what I have belongs to me not any club
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

cowboy,
    I know texas has a COIR unit, probably several, Texas is where the US Defenders was started and from what I understand they have done a lot for motoryclelist rights in Texas. It doesn't cost any thing to belong. It's about our rights as American's.

I get a little fired up when talking about our rights, Please do check it out.
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

This is the type of group that I am looking for. I like to be autonomous, but still stand for the rights of all riders. Thanks for the information I will look at this information closely. I briefly scanned the site and I did not see a chapter for Minnesota. HMMMMM, that could change. :)
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

There is also the Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF), which is a motorcyclists rights organization on the national level, like the AMA, but it's more for "our kind." They work very closely with the ABATE organizations, so it's almost like a national ABATE.

HOG is good for some things, but it is not a motorcyclist rights organization, so it depends what you're looking for.

In Colorado, ABATE also runs the largest training organization in the state, which is who I work for. I think they're outstanding for training. I almost wish I'd never gotten involved in the motorcyclist rights part though. They do well, but there are a lot of things that aren't done well that makes it really hard for me to be overly enthusiastic about it. I used to be the District Rep, but now I'm the Treasurer for my district, and I'll probably get out of that as soon as I can. I like the people in the district, but I feel that the state office comes up with ideas and then pushes things through the Board of Directors without proper planning or consideration. I should say that I like the people in the state office too, but after being left picking up the pieces on some things, I've soured on the whole thing.

That being said, they've done a great job working with CDOT. There was actually a report that went out on motorcycle fatalities and not once were helmets mentioned. It was about avoiding crashes altogether, i.e. training (or lack thereof) and alcohol use. So that's a really good thing.

I think money has gotten really tight thanks to the economy, and they are scrambling to find ways to raise funds, and it isn't pretty.
  7. FLHTbiker

I belong to HOG because its a good social outlet for the wife and I plus a lot of riding. We have a lot of fun and have meant some great friends there. They do a lot of riding and that is also what we like. Made some great riding friends in our HOG chapter and have spent many days and or hours on the road with them.
    As for the political stuff, used to do all that stuff years ago and just got burned out. Now we just have fun riding and socializing with good friends.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup............but i get to socialize with cardboard.....................:witsend:
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

You have our heartfelt condolences! - But there's always hope.:roflmao:
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

get to have to???:D
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I agree, and riding is why I own a bike. But that is also why I like the US Defenders, they don't ask for money just a little time writing letters, or sending emails. It has made a difference here and I know it has in Texas to.
  12. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

JB - check out HD.com on the main page they have a run down of what you stand to gain by joining and a locater to help you find a chapter in your area or ju8st just ride on down to your local HD dealer and ask.:)
  13. FLHTbiker

Virtually every HD store has a HOG chapter. Some better than others so you need to check out all the local ones and see which is the best fit for you.
  14. JohnnyBiker

Considering that I bought a bike from a dealer, I was given a year of National HOG membership with the purchase. I thought about it pretty hard and I have decided that I am going to join a local chapter of HOG. I did decide that I am going to join the Chapter of Wild Prairie Harley Davidson..

I am really excited for all of the new things that are about to come my way. I am so glad that I decided to pull the trigger on this bike now instead of later, gives me something to look forward to in a big way for the upcoming season. :D
  15. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

I'm a member of the National Hog Chapter, just doesn't fit my schedule to join a local chapter and the closest one is 70 miles away. I like the national magazine and benefits and have used the fly and ride.:cool:
  16. JohnnyBiker

Fly and Ride??
  17. FLHTbiker

Good for you if its like our chapter your going to meet up with a host of new friends and have a great time. There are always going to be some that you may not like but most of the people in our chapter are great. :D
  18. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

Discounted rates when you fly somewhere certain dealerships they pick you up at the airport take you to your rental bike and away you go, after the trip they drop you back at the airport to fly home.:cool:
  19. JohnnyBiker

I am ready for it that is for sure.

Hey Ultra, that is pretty cool too. I think that I would like the discounted insurance as well, but not sure that will that significant of savings for me though..
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Been an AMA member for 22 years. I like the fact that they are lobbying for motorcyclists rights on and off road.