1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Amsoil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Sep 18, 2011.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I'll say! And nice pic too, BTW! I'm curious how all that paint came off your bike frame. Did they say how once they fixed it?
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

They had the bike for like 3 months. I was climbing the wall with nothin to ride.
    They had to work the HD rep, and it took some time. They got some special paint or product from HD up north. and found a automotive paint shop and gave instructions on how to use it. Don't have a clue how the paint come off. MY guess is the frame wasn't preped right before they did the epoxey.
    But HD finally stood up and fixed it. Man was I close to the end of my 2 yr warranty.
    And on the tranny, I was runnin Amsoil 75-140 SVO oil. I was told by more than one dealer. Not to run amsoil and not to run gear oil in it.
    So I quit running Amsoil in any part of the motor.
    Notised with Amsoil in the engine it made the engine make more noise too.
    I changed the Motor, primary and tranny every 3000 miles.
    I was a Amsoil dealer and got it direct. As well the Amsoil high micron oil filter.

Could see right there that if'n I got another bike I was gonna git a extended warranty period. Weather I used it or not.
    Between the paint on the frame and the tranny and a couple other things, the warranty was greatly needed.

So you know you absolutely got to have the best oil that money can buy at all cost . And you got two degrees in Oil engineering. Put in yer bike what you like.
    But I've had a hard time with somethings. And I'm gun shy.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

They told you not to use Gear Oil in a Tranny(Gearbox)???? What DID they say to use??:confused:
  4. cardboard

20w-50 Vtwin oil.
    So I'm runnin 20w50 Harley Oil

In some bikes Like my wifes sportster they want you to run Forumla Plus.
    So when I changed the oil I put Formula plus in the primary, tranny, and I think they said to run 20-50 in the engine so That's what I put in it.
    I had a 6 yr warranty on the 09 Nightster when I bought it.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would not use engine oil in my tranny. Even the dealership hear says no, don't recommend that. Harley sells a gear oil for a reason. But each to there own.

By the way CB, you guys cooling down at all. We got a bunch of rain yesterday and last night. :)
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

20-50 in the engine is good...engine oil in a gearbox is bad advice IMO...but ya done good putting in the Formula+ in the tranny because it is a gear oil....Do you remember the Sport trans fluid for Sporties,it was a 75-90 gear oil with additives for wet clutch operation....HD stopped with that label and came out with Formula+...basically the same thing,but then said it's good for Big twin Primaries and trannies too,which it is....
    Do those Dealers know what kind of oil the Formula+ is?? I doubt it....
  7. cardboard

20-50 Screaming Eagle Oil all 3 holes on my bike.
    6 dealerships told me the same thing.

I've ran Amsoil SVO 75-140 and had problems. When I used it I was told it was some of the best Oil to use.
  8. FLHTbiker

I have never used Amsoil, but use Red line in the Tranny for many years on all the bikes I've owned. Never had a issue with it. Dealer hear used to say the same thing until they were having problems and now they don't recommend it.
  9. cardboard

Go to your dealer and see what he says for you to run in yer bike.

Formula Plus was designed by HD for the primary and trannys of certain bikes.

harley Formula Plus - Bob Is The Oil Guy
  10. cardboard

Nobody here carries Redline, you got to order it. I'm not going to order it.
    I will wait till Chucktx orders it and go borrow some from him.
  11. FLHTbiker

Interesting as all the Indy and HD dealers here carry it. Hey, Chuck you hear that, better order up a bunch. :D
  12. cardboard

The Indy dealers here Carry a Variaty of oils. Amsoil, Drag Specialites oil, and Harley Oil

Shhhhhhhhhhh

Yer gonna wake ChuckTx up man. Talk real quiet.

Chucktx quit runnin Synthetic oil as best I can remember.
    His bike is all Dusty and has Cob Webs on and eat at SteamBoat Bills and he wouldn't go.
    http://steamboatbills.com/menu/index.htm

He's gittin kinda OLD.................:roflmao:
  13. FLHTbiker

Old, Chuck needs to get together with JB and work out together then there would be an older looking Schwarzenegger and a short looking Schwarzenegger. :roflmao::roflmao: Man am I in trouble now :roflmao:
  14. cardboard

Chucktx is like a Old Bull, you ain't got no idea what is on his mind or if he's gonna charge or go lay down......:gah:

But don't grab ahold of him....
    You can't hang on.....:rolleyes:

But I ain't gonna be the one to find out.
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Me I read my service manual then used that flavor oil in that hole , it's all Amsoil