1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Anchorage, AK Run - The Next Big Ride?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'm in the very early stage of planning a ride to Anchorage, Alaska from here in Nevada. If anyone has made this run from the States, I'd be happy to hear any lessons learned or get any tips you might have. I've done lots of long rides, as many here should know, but it'll all be new roads once I cross into Canada (though I've road through southern Ontario and Quebec before). I'm most interested in the trek from Calgary onward: road conditions, gas stops, accommodations. Route right now is to go through northern Utah, cross Montana on I-15, to Calgary on Hwy 2, then take Hwy 43 to AK from Edmonton.

I'm planning on a solo run, but if anyone wants to join, that's cool, too. Summer of 2021 is likely my target launch window - assuming Life doesn't get in the way - or Death, for that matter! I'm thinking 7 days up, 7 days back - but I'll likely plan on no more than 3 weeks total as a max duration.

So that's that. Roughly 7,800 miles round trip. Awaiting input...........
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

RR...i'd like to join you on that. I got routes,contacts on the alcan. 4 gallons in spare gas cans. 2 one gallon saddle bag plastic gas tanks and one 2 gallon aluminum container. An idea of how to go mapped out. And i will be retired in 2021. It would be a total 9500 + miles for me.

2021 gives me time to save money. I Already got the gear...heated vest, small two man tent,portable air compressor,tire patch kit etc...
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Trip of a lifetime, be sure to schedule when you can ride, and look for tourists, tons of motorhomes go up that way. Also if you are riding you need to know the gun laws if you carry, Canada has prohibitions, I think there is a way you can transport certain firearms through to AK, but you have to go through some steps.

I have a friend that rode from Orlando up the Haul road and back on his Yamaha Raider, he's crazy, tore up a wheel, broke parts and it was a newer bike at the time, so if you go up that route, you really can do it on a Hd but you'd be better on a dual trail type bike with lotsa gas cans...

follow this guys journey to Alaska it's a great thread

https://www.v-twinforum.com/threads/to-alaska-on-a-motorcycle.537712/
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. Red Rider

Hey, BI, that would be awesome! Even cooler, since we've already met on my last epic ride, and I know you can hack it. It seems ya got the gear ya need, though it sounds like a lot of gear- have you fit it all on your bike? I'm hoping to avoid the primitive stuff, but will be prepared. Semper Gumby!

For the spectators out there, I've road out and met a number of fellow Bike Talk riders, and a couple have road my way, too. Best thing about this forum is the folks I've met over the years.

HRK, thanks for the link. I hadn't thought of looking for such things on the 'net, what a huge resource. Join me & BI? I wish JohnnyBiker could make it, but the time is probably too much - eh, JB? That reminds me, guess I have to start using "eh?" and "no worries" a lot more, at least for a big leg of the trip.

Like I said, early stages, but my wife is thinking to fly up to AK to meet me/us in Anchorage for the few days we'd be there. Something to think about, BI.
  5. hotroadking

Love to make the ride, things would have to line up, lots going on here this year and next...

Hope that link helps, there are several motorcycle alaska tips out there I've read over the years.

If I find them I'll post.
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. Red Rider

I read that entire link, and it was well worth it. The only downer is I feel right now that I almost have too much info - takes a little of the edge off the adventure, maybe. I'm sure I'll get over that!

I wasn't planning on going to the Arctic as he did, but who knows? Anyone know if there are all-terrain tires for FLH Harleys? Haven't really looked yet, but I do know my Heritage Classic handles a whole lot better on dirt roads than my Road King, so I'm far less intimidated by bad roads.

I welcome all who'd wish to join, but after reading that thread I'd have to add the condition that if we stopped at a remote locale with only one room left, we gotta share. So bring ear plugs. I don't warm to the whole Road Captain-type pack ride, so if that is what ya want that ain't what I'll be doing. We can work out the details in the next year and a half, such as they are - or may be.
  7. hotroadking

My idea of a group ride is me.... and maybe one or two others

Outside of that it's a pack and I"m past that need....

You need to plan it out if you're going up the Alcan, if not it shouldn't
    be as difficult a trip as the one I attached, but he gives you an idea of the weather,
    gas, etc you'll face.

It's also wise to check what you can and can't bring from USA to Canada

It should be an epic trip, if you can make time to go to the glaciers
    even if a day or so on a ship out it's worth the trip.

With AK you never know what weather is going to show up so bring
    cold and wet clothes, and I'd suggest heated grips and a heated seat
    or gerbing heated gloves and vest with plug in rheostat so you can modulate the amount of heat to your needs.

Absolutely have a good cell phone with good service and maybe even
    just a plain GPS, we ran into areas without cell service, it's a big area
    with very few people so cell can be spotty.

Probably be a good idea to load up a spare gas can or two in the bags, Phil has some motorcycle custom made cans that won't leak and are designed for bikes.

Stash of water and dry foods like beef jerkey, peanuts power bars etc.

Roll of butt wipes, if you are not leaf friendly...

Bear spray is a must if you are camping.

Always ride with someone that runs/walks slower than you, that way
    if a bear comes after you, all you have to do is outrun your buddy...
    Red Rider likes this.
  8. badinfluence63

RR...I see you wrote 43 to AK from Edmonton. However it looks like 43 eventually turns into 2 and into Dawson Creek,BC. Are we going Alcan?

Any reason not chosing Alcan to Fairbanks? If i go i go where you go. You trip,your lead your destination. Just seems a shame to go that far and not take legendary Alcan.

Also mosquitos horrible.

I defer to you as charge rider in this run. Support services here.

If possible i would like to get to your town a couple days before we leave as it'll take me 4-5 days and 2000 miles just to get to your town. And i'd like a couple 2-3 days to reload and refresh. If thats okay?

Also wife going too.
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. badinfluence63

As far as when we get to your area...wife may want to fly rest of the way too? Although she loves riding. Lots of time to discuss options

And passports.
  10. badinfluence63

Remember I have 2 big saddle bags, a tour pac and a bag strapped on the tour pack luggage rack. I have space.
    Red Rider likes this.
  11. badinfluence63

Red Rider likes this.
  12. Red Rider

Don't have time right now to fully respond, but suffice to say I'm prepared for any weather that gets thrown my way (love my heated grips - get 'em if ya plan on riding below 60 degrees and you'll be happy ya did). As for the route, that can change but the most important point is we don't have to go the same way in that we return on. In fact, I rarely do that on my journeys....can't think of a single time I did, actually.
  13. badinfluence63

Like I mentioned, since I am tagging along your trip, how ever it falls that's how we'll go.
  14. Red Rider

Budget plan for $6K expenses. Anything less will be a win.
  15. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It is a possibility that I be able to make this trip. I would have to start managing my vacation time. I was thinking about taking the entire month of August 2020 off, but if I do that then it will be really close if I could swing that trip. That is a lot of miles for me. I looked it up, from Nevada to Alaska is about 3300. Times that by 2, but the you figure in the close to 2,000 for me to get to your place, times that by 2. Hmmmm, now you have me curious...;)
    Red Rider likes this.
  16. Red Rider

Would be cool if you could make it. As for miles, well, that is just a number. Still a long way out, but that also makes it easier to plan for (in saving $ up and vacation time). I honestly don't know as of this moment that I can pull it off, but I believe I can and want to. My ride to Maine was easy enough, but that was then. With my new machine, I think it'll be fine - just really a matter of committing mentally to doing it. Probably why I posted it, to push myself more to actually making it happen. You'd be riding with two 60+ year old vets, so you should be able to keep up! Especially if you're on a 114 Road King. Be an awesome ride, might as well do it. We could meet in Montana on the way out, plenty of time to work that stuff out.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  17. JohnnyBiker

I am still planning on picking the new bike up here after the first of the year. Not sure if Hot Rider will be able to make that one, we'll see I guess. I had told her that I wanted to take a trip without her, kind of the "coming of age" trip at the age of 40+ o_O I will be following this thread and of course I will talk to you over the phone before that. Yeah I'm not worried about the miles either.:cool:
    Red Rider likes this.
  18. Red Rider

As to going to Fairbanks, that would be a decision made once I hit Anchorage...or somewhere along the way. It wasn't my initial goal, as too, I'm not set on hitting the Arctic Circle. But I can be convinced - once we've been rolling for a few days. I have almost unlimited time and some money (and a ton of credit, and steady income with no real debt). I don't commit to hard routes, as that takes all the fun out of wandering. Just a destination, which is Anchorage first....then Semper Gumby!
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Yep, I will just tag along. I will defer to you and BI as far as the rout that is taken. HMMMM....
  20. badinfluence63

Big question...what's the expected mileage per day?