1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Anchorage, AK Run - The Next Big Ride?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'd aim for 500, but that's just a goal. Conditions will dictate a lot. I'd hope for 400, but there will likely be days of less. Thoughts?
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

What i was thinking. 4-500 miles with flexibility as we agree. Sounds like we are on same page so far.
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. Red Rider

I wouldn't mind doing for 1,000+ in a day again, but that would likely have to be down in the USA lower 48. Towards AK, we will be riding during some of the longest days of sunshine, though, especially once we're north of Calgary, so it may be reasonable to roll longer then 500 on some days. Really will be up to us then, and to where we may or may not be able to stop overnight. I wouldn't be surprised if we decided to make a 7 or 8oo mile day or two, if we get anxious & greedy:greedy:. I find that usually happens on return legs, for me at least. Like you say, flexibility and discussion. I've led folks on dangerous missions before, but this don't have to be one. Back then, too, we'd always have open, frank discussions on how to proceed - and though both of you two say it's my ride, I'd think it best if we kept it flexible. If ya want me to make all the decisions, I will, but it won't be in a vacuum. The goal is an epic, enjoyable and safe journey - Alaska's just a bonus. I'm feeling better about this trip every day, and wish I could bump it to this coming summer, but that just don't look good.

FYI, I'll likely bring a 1-man tent and sleeping bag, but I darn sure don't want to have to use 'em!

Semper Gumby!
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Bring a really good rain suit, not some cheapo stuff.

It rains quite a bit in AK, we took a cruise up from Vancouver in August
    rained every day up to the top of the run, and even then it was just plain cold
    and dreary, we had clear skys on the way out of Vancouver and then back after
    leaving Ketchikan

Make notes of gas food, lodging and wal-mart options for supplies...

I think your daily miles will be set by the availability of fuel.
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. Red Rider

I'm sure BI has a few thousand miles of rain-riding, as do I. JB? I have anti-fog stuff, too - a real life preserver. I'll bring extra, as it never lasts as long as they say it will. Put it on the windscreen, too. I'm more concerned with moose and bear than weather....a biker friend of mine was riding his Harley trike in Idaho and got mauled bad by an angry (or horny?) moose, put him in the hospital for weeks, and screwed up his trike, bad. I may even pack a full face helmet - probably should, but I ain't a fan of 'em.
  6. badinfluence63

If you are being gracious enough to make this a group think deal I am for that. I got some experience to glean from over here. I tend to error on the side of caution.

I'll opt for touring pants instead of chaps as they come water proof. Won't have to worry about changing into rain gear. As well wear touring jacket with water proof liner.

I too will bring a small 2 person tent and bed roll. Don't want to use either but nice to have in case.

The mileage. Like all things and like you said and I agree...we can talk about. But I am flexible as this is your ride.

I been trying to get to AK since 2012. I could always get the time but wife couldn't. So I got routes,contacts on the Alcan and a good understanding of hard pack wet slippery permanent frost roads. Also mosquitos bad.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. badinfluence63

Quit your damn sniveling ( and I mean that in a good spirited joking manner) ....I got 2825 miles just to get to RR's house from my house. At 400 miles a day that's still 7 days even before heading to AK. And I want another 2 days once I get to RR's town to chillax before the next 3000 miles. Churchill Cty, NV is my 1/2 way point. We could coordinate meeting up in Des Moines Johnny biker if you want? Then we could ride together from there to RR's house? Its 1254 miles from my house to des Moines. That's 2-3 days depending. I don't know where in Minnesota you live to help calculate not waiting around in Des Moines too long. If your interested we can exchange phone numbers as we get closer to heading out.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Des Moines is a short ride away for me, less than 400 miles. Easy Ride.
  9. Red Rider

You two don't have to come here first, but you are welcome to. JB has been here before, and is planning on being here this coming year. If you wanted to meet at the USA/CAN border it would be a shorter start for y'all, probably cut a couple thousand miles off your trip; or Butte, MT, and save about 1,560 miles. One or all could come to my place on return leg, if ya still wanted. I know that JB only has so much time off, as opposed to us retired slackers!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  10. Red Rider

Just found out it looks like I'm making a run to San Antonio again at the end of this coming April, 2020. Just saying here in case anyone else who is thinking about making the 2021 AK run wanted to meet up to see if I'm worth riding with.

And BI, as to the touring outfit, I'll have to take a serious look at that. Convenience & weight/bulk in packing matter. Though I do love the leathers...makes me feel more like a steel horse cowboy; therefore,- younger!
  11. badinfluence63

Lets meet in Des Moines johnny B. What do yoy think. Sounds like a one day ride for you. I'l say it'll take me three to be safe. So if i leave say hypothetically on a monday you should leave on Tuesday or Wednesday?

Between then and now we can decide if we want to medt RR at his house or hook up somewhere else. And don't forget passports. Sooner than later.
    Red Rider likes this.
  12. badinfluence63

RR...and if me and Johnny B meet in des moines we could meet you in Helena,MT?

Churchill county,NV to Helena = 750 miles.

Des Moines to Helena= 1171 miles.

Just noticed you wrote Butte,MT. Thats good too.

Des moines to Butte = 1163miles

Churchill county,NV to Butte= 8-900 miles.
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. badinfluence63

image.jpeg
    I like chaps too but suck in the rain. With water proof touring gear you don't look or feel cool but it is space and time effective. Don't have to pack extra rain gear or stop to change. And i normally pack one pair of jeans to change into when at hotel or whatever.

Most hotels have two beds and a pull out couch. Thats in the USA anyway.

Also my wife is a long time emergency room nurse. So we'll have good quality medical on board. Murphys law...if you have it you won't need it.
    Red Rider likes this.
  14. Red Rider

I'll look into touring gear. Not a slave to fashion.

I do think it would work better for y'all for me to meet you guys up north in Montana, rather than meet here. Helena would work, 850 miles for me, two days at most. You could decide whether ya wanted to make the trip down here on the way back, or just want to head home, one or all of you. I do think the route north won't be the same as the route south, just so's ya know, but that is a 60% guess at this point. So many factors come into play. I'm open to all suggestions. Don't push through tornadoes to make a rendezvous, though, you're more likely to hit that stuff than I, heading to Montana. I can wait for you there, if need be.

Your wife coming along, BI? If we have to share a room due to space available, give her a head's up that may occur (not by my choice, but possible, as lodging can be problematic in the more remote towns).
  15. JohnnyBiker

BI, that's maybe a 6 hour ride for me. If I have to be somewhere, I don't stop to smell the roses. :D:D
    badinfluence63 and Red Rider like this.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Red, personally I like the idea of all of us starting the trip together and your place has been elected as the starting point of the trip. The more time we ride together, the better in my opinion.

I will be able to swing three weeks off from work for sure so there is no issue with time really. As of now I am not sure if Hot Rider will be along or not. I may just leave her at home.
    badinfluence63 and Red Rider like this.
  17. badinfluence63

Touring gear isn't as much a fashion deal s much as it is a practical application for what you're wearing it for. Like I said you don't look or feel cool but the reward is its practical. Difference maker in inclement weather too. Rain always finds a way to get in, here and there, but at least its not as bad.

I'd imagine when its time to head home we all gonna be home sick, lol and want to get home sooner than later. I am open to what everyone wants to do. If Johnny B wants to meet in Des Moines and then we head to RR country that's fine too.

I'm thinking we'd be sharing hotel as able, to save money? Usually most hotels have 2 beds and sofa sleeper and we can rotate who sleeps on sleeper sofa, lol. I'm use to traveling and sharing a room to save costs. Necessary evil for poor people. And with 3 people chipping in we can steer towards the better holiday inn's and Ramada's when able? I try to stay away from flea bag hotels in general.
    Red Rider likes this.
  18. badinfluence63

Sounds like we're looking at me and Johnny B meeting up in Des Moines, than riding to RR country and then we all leaving together. However if not, no worries Johnny B if you prefer not to meet up in Des Moines. Probably gonna split up when heading home at some point or not? Worry about that when the time comes.

Des Moines to Churchill Cty, NV =14-1500 miles. 3 days?

I'll be retired so if everything is good at home I'll be in no hurry to go home. I may go to RR's then go visit friends in San Diego?

I would like to at least have a full day to chillax once having gotten to RR country only as it will have taken me 6-7 days to have gotten there. I might get to Des Moines a day early to do that too.

When we rode to San Diego I did it comfortably on 3 weeks but almost got fowled up because if something caught our attention we'd deviate or chillax for a day or so. Was only able to spend 2-3 days in San Diego and had 6 days to get home but did it in 5 1/2. I kept a log of gas fills, miles between gas fills and when and where we stopped. Its a nice read still to this day to relive the rides.

When I was planning my AK run I factored in 5 weeks and 9500+ miles. I am as far east as one can get short of Caribou ME.

I'll be starting off with fresh rubber, brake pads, battery, oiler/filter etc...I figure we're all gonna need at least 1-2 oil/filter changes?

I'm hoping while not a casual romp in the park its not an iron butt either?
    Red Rider likes this.
  19. Red Rider

As we draw closer to the trip date (figure begin late June 2021? Max sunlight is 21 June) I'm sure things will firm up, and no sense in sweating details much yet. As I'll likely be on the least comfortable bike (not by much, but your baggers have slightly better seat ergonomics) I don't think I'll be riding you guys into the pavement.

You'd be welcome here for at least 3 days...general invited visitors rule.

I'll leave your rendezvous decisions to you, whether here or elsewhere. I will say that if the goal is to get to Alaska & back and I had limited time, I'd start heading that way first and plan any optional trips on the return leg. Ultimately, though, it is your own trip, so do what you want.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

RR I think that makes sense, even though I have no horse in the race, meeting somewhere on the way up closer to the border is a pretty good sounding plan...