1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Anchorage, AK Run - The Next Big Ride?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Nov 6, 2019.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I know you made your case Johnny B and i'll have all the time i need. HRK makes a good point though. Perhaps we meet in Des Moines then go to Butte, MT?

If your determined to launch from RR's home 20 I'm down. Like I say I have all the time in the world.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I like to put miles on so the more that I put on, the happier I am. Where we meet is a long ways away yet so I am just putting in a few ideas.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Red, I am not scared to ride in the rain. I guess I haven't kept track of how many miles I have ridden in the rain but it is a lot. I will be prepared for any weather we may run into. I now wear a full face helmet when needed and of course I will have it along. I have nice luggage, extended bags for extra fuel if we feel the need a rain suit, gloves, blah blah blah.
  4. JohnnyBiker

Red, you remember Sleepy don't you? Well, he lives in Calgary. I am friends with him on Facebook. Do you mind if I ask him if he is interested in joining? I have got to know him well.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Sure, no problem. I don't really have a say in who does or doesn't come along - other than it would be cool if others do - as the road is free. If I don't want to ride with someone, I'll just go faster or slower. Only thing I'll say is I don't want this to be anything more than an informal run.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  6. badinfluence63

Sounds good to me.
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. Red Rider

It is like this: if you ride with me, I'll look out for ya within reason, so if ya have a breakdown or flat I'll do what I can to make sure your taken care of before bailing on ya. If you need to stop every hundred miles or less, you'll likely be making the trip on your own. I know BI & JB, so I owe them extra consideration, but every one needs to be self-sufficient so we can enjoy the freedom of the ride. There's no freedom if we have to continually stop for one person's whims. I routinely ride over 400 miles a day or longer on these kind of trips, and though some days will be less, some may be more - the road will dictate some of that. If your hung over or otherwise a nuisance, you'll likely ride alone. I'm not heartless, but am focused on making the ride. I think we'll have a good time the more we ride and keep things loose. And don't mess with moose!

Make sense? Still a year and a half away: we have to live that long...so be cool and ride free, and safe!
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

RR I get that, we used to have bigger groups, 10, 12 people, it got to be too much, you'd end up with a mile stretch between first and last bike, some slow, some riding like they are in a CAFE race,

Now I prefer no more than 3, maybe 4 in a group, outside of that it gets complicated and prefer that those are 3 or 4 that are not issues, we use CB to comm between bikes, even the newer bikes guys got they added the CB, it just makes it a lot easier to manage the ride issues, piss, gas, food, ass pain.....

Hand signals and stuff still work, but comm is nice, y'all could consider a set of the BT headsets, that way you can listen to the GPS/Tunes and talk if you need in case someone in the back has an issue...
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. Red Rider

So, with BI's recommendation, I'm looking at touring clothes, or at least touring pants for my weeks-long journeys on the road. Is there anything I should look for or avoid? Anyone have any specific recommendations?
  10. badinfluence63

Red Rider likes this.
  11. badinfluence63

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Red Rider likes this.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Red, not trying to bring the hole U.S. with. I just figured that if are going through Calgary, we could at least stop by and visit him.
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. badinfluence63

Jackets been on lay away fot a couple months. Almost paid off. Need to put armor in shoukders,elbow and back before i pick it up. Water proof and lots of pockets.
    image.jpeg
    Red Rider likes this.
  14. badinfluence63

image.jpeg My tent for Alaska and my knife.

Red Rider2 and Red Rider like this.
  15. hotroadking

16. badinfluence63

When in went to HD shop to put money down on coat I got this free pin.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Red Rider2 and Red Rider like this.
  17. Red Rider

Gotta check Canada regs for weapons/tools. Doubt it is very lenient, but if not carried on your person, its probably fine.

Picked up Hotwired heated vest & pants. Been riding in high 30f's/low 40f's, and, while I survived, I didn't thrive. Warm is good. Got my stuff from a local(ish) Cycle Gear store - they have a real good military discount. The gear itself is easy to use, though the pants are just a bit bulkier than I'd originally thought. Almost pulled the trigger on riding pants, but have another place to look, first.
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  18. hotroadking

You'll need to declare it, fill out some forms and pay a fee, under no circumstances deny you have one or try to hide it, if they find it you'll spend your vacation in Jail, court, lawyers etc.

Heres how it works, and I believe you can do some of this in advance.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=695
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  19. Red Rider2

Red Rider2 New Member

So now the real question is if this trip can still happen. A year out, now.
  20. badinfluence63

We'll have to wait and see RR.
    Red Rider2 likes this.