1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Andrew cam question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tknight1, Jul 5, 2010.

1. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

2009 Road King with stage 1 kit, Arlene ness big sucker and V&H dresser duals w/classic slip ons. I am not a top end rider but would like to get off the line quicker and have more passing ablility when riding two up. What is the differences btween the Andrew tw-54 and tw 26 cams?

Tom K
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I am not sure, but the manufacturer should have a tech department that you could call to get this information.
  3. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

I sent Andrews an e-mail asking for info, but i am sure the members here have opinions from practical trials.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Looking at the specs on Andrews web page the 54 doesn't look like it would be a bolt in as the 26 would. It appears a compression bump would be needed to give the low end manners you want and valve clearances would have to be checked. Intake closing point is an indicator of when the cam starts to build torque,the earlier it closes the lower the rpm range is when it comes on. IMO the 26 would be a better choice for a bottom end torque cam and a good 2 up bolt in with passing power at highway speeds. I think it would react similar in your 96" to the tw 21 I have in my 88" cop king...good off the line and is in its sweet spot at highway speed, a twist of the wick and it pulls real good, both are (TW21&26)excellent real world bolt in touring cams in stock bikes with Stage one
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have the 26. it is a low end cam. comes in 1800 or so and tops out around 5000. good for two up, towing.....
  6. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

Thanks greatly for the imput. I was told by my indie shop the Woods 54 was a bolt on and I would be able to use it if I ever moved up to a big bore kit. Anybody know if this is correct? How do the Andrews above compare to the Woods 6-6?

Tom K.
  7. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

you can call the tech guys @ Andrews and they will help you out ! There in IL and are very helpful ! Been using there tranny parts and cams for a long time!
  8. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

I sent Andrews an e-mail 4 days ago as their website requested. Still no reply. Maybe due to the Holiday. I will be patient for a while longer. That is why I turned to the practical experts on this site? Where are you Hotroadking?
  9. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

I'm in the Denver area now....Used to be from IL /Wi. ! So up @ over 5000ft elv. we lose a good amount of power up here!

I would say go with the TW 31 CAM from Andrews. maybe the TW 37 ...That cam really wakes up the power that your motor already has in it! Great bottom end power and awesome mid-range power when you snap the throttle to pass! The 26 is a bit to vanilla for what you want out of your motor and with what you have already done I think it's a better match!

Its a bolt it deal We have installed this series cam in a bunch of bikes, all with great results! The cams that were installed have been Gear Drive set-ups:cool: and the guys all loved them! The 31 grind comes in both chain:puke: and gear versions!:cool:

I'm a Gear drive fan never likes the chain junk Harley came up with !

But the 31 chain version VS. Gear is the same grind .510 lift vs. .473 Stocklift....& 62 HP Stock and we have seen over 80 HP:eek: when tuned right! Call the guys @ Andrews and ask them which one 31 or 37 for your bike and modifacations!

Andrews # 847-759-0190 same time zone as U !
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The 54 is a bolt in cam on a 2009, your valve springs can handle up to about .570 lift compared to the older twin cams that couldn't take that kind of lift with stock springs.

With a 96 CUI bike the 54 is going to be more of a mid range power cam, 2800 and up RPM and without any other work but a filter and pipes you'll be limited on top end power but that's not the objective anyway with an HD. Lots of people run the 54 and are very happy.

JMO the 26 is too small for a 96 CUI.

Woods 6-6 will produce a good amount of increase, if you are looking for lower RPM torque, add the woods +4 degree advance gear, then you'll get on the cam quicker.

Gear drive is pretty much gone as an option for 08 and up HD's.

They changed the way they make the cranks and the run out is too excessive to run gears, odds are you measure run out and you won't be in spec, ever on any newer TC.

Plus the expense of the gears doubles the cost of putting in cams.

The newer cam plate setup (06 and up) have none of the old tension system it's been redesigned and works extremely well, cam changes are a snap compared to the older TC's.

The 37 is a better cam than the 26, but you can go to the 54 without issues.

JMO Woods 6-6 and +4, no gear drive, or, put in the 54.

Next you need to discuss how you're going to tune it.. Stock ECM and sensors will not allow it to run properly, you'll burn it up.

JMO - TTS - MasterTune EFI Programming Software

Software based ECM management and you can tune it yourself driving the bike around easiest way, least cost for tuning...

BTW the stock HD crank on the newer bikes won't handle big numbers without a good potential to dump the bottom end. If you decide to go for big numbers you'll have to pull the crank, do the Timkin Bearing modification, and probably have the crank pin welded.

Mild builds are good and you should be fine.
  11. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

Andrews got back to me and said they have a new cam for 07-10 Touring twin cams. It is called the 48H and they recommended this cam over all of the other Andrews cams mentioned above. It uses a roller chain cam drive and has a .548 lift. It is new design for 2010 with broad tip cams for baggers with stock motors: max torque at low and mid rpms. The cam specs can be found on page 4A of their 2010 catalog. Andrews included a map of the HP 90.05 & TQ 106.53 for a 2010 Street glide with D&D fat cats. They included the following note "Crankshaft sprocket +4 degrees for more torque or -4 degrees for less compression pressure." This last parts sounds like what HRK said for the Woods 6-6. Do I have to be the guinie pig or has somebody else installed this one?

What do you think HRK? What this means to me is I have a lot to learn and this site has been invaluable.
  12. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

HRK,

I forgot to add, what ever cam I decide to go with I would go to my Indie shop and have the boys put the bike on the dyno-jet using direct link. They just down load the numbers from the dyno into the key and then plug the key into the ecm.

Tom K.
  13. hotroadking

Tom I've run the +4 on a 95 inch with woods Tw-6H 590 lift, turned it into a monster as it was a high compression engine to begin with.

The +- 4 works well and I had forgot about the 48H, however I had heard it was "coming out" not many have seen or done much with it yet.

The 48H, or 54H will work well Andrews is a good company, as will the woods.

You can view woods information at Wood Performance Carburetors - High Performance Harley Carbs and Cams...

There is also another option, SNS has a new 551 cam that is bolt in, and will get you the same benefits. I like SNS, and run their 640 in my 124.

With the 48H you will be the New kid on the block but that's not all bad...
    they have tested it out well...
  14. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

What does a "stage two" consist of? What would HD do to the bike and what is an average cost? Is there a site I can visit that desribes the modifications in detail?

Tom K.
  15. hotroadking

16. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got the TW6 Woods cam in my FLHT, the cam performs very well.

I would call Bob Woods and tell him what you are after and see what he suggest. he will probaly pick the phone up.

06-10cams

Got a buddy that went with the new TW7 cam and he said it was a super cam.
    I had thought about trying it.

Bought a Woods 408-44 Cam after a suggestion from Scott with Hillside cycles for my bike, and wound up puttin it in my buddys stock 96cu motor.
    It was a very fast RPM turnin bike. My buddy thanked me for puttin it in his bike.
    He loved it.
  17. hotroadking

All good cams, best matched by compression, pipes and headwork
    the 408-44 is a good cam.

I just put in an SNS 585CE easy start cam, comes with built in compression releases
    and it works great, it's a bit of a higher RPM cam 3000 and up, and hits
    harder when you get to that RPM...

Stock heads and intake, just a pro pipe, 106 and 585's, ran a buddy with a 103 with woods tw6h, true duals, ported heads and HPI intake and smoked him.. Pissed him off. LOL

Another good cam is SNS's new 551 for a 96 inch bike, lower end tq cam, or the 583 which is a broader band cam....