1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Another Firearm Question

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Feb 13, 2015.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If I was Johnny. As much as he likes the name of the Colt New Agent.
    I would call a gun store tomorrow when they open.
    And as soon as I get off of work. I would walk into the store and Buy one.
    Then he can take it and load it and go shoot it.
    He can stick it on his side and not take it off all day.
    Then he can take it out and shoot it again and wear it another day.
    if he deceides he don't like it. He can take it to a Gun show and trade it in on something else.
    Don't think there is a Pistol made. Even it it cost 25,000 that will make johnny happy till he has the fever broke for the colt.

And nothing is gonna answer his question till he buys one.

So I would take the money and buy one tomorrow.

And if you don't go buy one tomorrow, I would walk into the Harley Dealer and find a new Harley Davidson that you like and buy it instead.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  2. cardboard

Know somebody else tonite that bought a Kimber. Sold their colt pistol.
    They can't believe how accurate the Kimber pistol is.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I looked up the two pistols and the reviews and pics show the Colt new agent. First the new agent does not have sights just a groove down the barrel. I would stick with thep Defender if it had to be a Colt. Reviews on the Defender were better.

Colt New Agent

image.jpg
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Beautiful firearm! I seem to gravitate to the New Agent for some reason. Cleaner look maybe is why. I just like 1911 style pistols.
  5. cardboard

How you gonna put something like True Glow TFO night sights on it ?
    That is what I have on my XDm 3.8 compact 45.
    Gonna put them on muy XDs 3.3 45.
    Buddy bought the sight tool to do it.

Read an article last nite. Kimber says until you have shot 500 rounds threw their pistol. They will not talk to you about a problem with it.
    Guess its so tight, they want that many rounds fired threw it for it to break in and mate.

Know Springfield said at least 300 rounds.
  6. FLHTbiker

Well one thing for sure the New Agent is a point and shoot style pistol. Everything I've read is most agree the Defender is a better choice.

image.jpg image.jpg

However the Sig Ultra Compact is a far better precisely manufactured pistol and wouldn't trade mine for either one of those. Wait until you have to have any work done to it at Colt. Their service sucks, I had one experience with them and took months and months to get my colt back. Maddog had the same thing happen when he sent his 1911 in because it kept jamming. Still does on most ammo.

The Sig Ultra Compact operates like a piece of fine made machinery which is how all should operate.

image.jpg
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Nobody carries sig? LOL right. Maybe nobody in your group,
    that's fine, people carry what they like.

Jump over to Sigforum and stick that out there, close to 75,000 members will disagree with you worldwide, lots of LEO prefer the sig 229/226 to the glocks.

Glock gets a lot of contracts because they give away guns and offer
    high trade dollars to get the agency to buy. Sig's new polymer P320 is making good inroads on Glocks territory, it's a better trigger, and the gun can be modified with factory parts to fit any shooters hand, or a sub compact 45 for a detective, a full size 9mm for a regular LEO on patrol. All it takes is a grip housing change.

Johnny if you like the colt new agent that's good, I find it a bit heavy for a daily carry, and it's why I use the LCR or Sig P938, and on bike trips the P320 or Glock 29.

I have a Sig C3 1911 carry that is in the same price point, weight and size as the Kimber and Colt, it is thin, easy to conceal and carry, but Like I said you have to be one that likes cocked and locked, and unlike a shield, the safety is of higher importance on a 1911 style SAO pistol because it's hammer fired and you have the hammer in the cocked position. If you are not going to carry it in condition 1, then mark it off your list.

[​IMG]

Having to rack the slide to load a round and Kock (lol if you spell it with a c it's blocked out) the 1911 in an emergency could be the action that gets you killed, it takes time, practice and opens up a movement/action that adds a variable to
    be able to fire your self defense weapon.

JMO, a striker fired pistol with a round chambered is safe
    no safety needed, go DAO like the P250, or Striker like the P320
    just pull from the holster and fire. Simple, easy, less to pack away
    in response action memory.

BTW another full metal carry option is my P200 SAO in 45,
    has a shorter barrel, but a full size grip, which I like so you can
    get a full purchase on the gun.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  8. FLHTbiker

Well I'm going for a ride in a few minutes with Maddog and I'm carrying my 9mm Shield loaded with the safety on. It's a striker fired pistol but when I have to reach in my leather gun vest pocket on my vest I don't want to accidently pull the trigger so the safety stays on. I have practiced pull it with the safety on and can pull it releasing the safety and ready to fire very fast. I do practice with a unloaded gun.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I"m not against safety that shield is completely different animal as striker fired, like a glock it's not going to drop a hammer and go boom because the safety is off without pulling the trigger.

1911's and SAO hammer fired guns are completely different animals, if you are going to carry one, rack a round, leave the hammer back and pop on the safety. Condition 1.

Just saying if you are not comfortable with that, then DAO or striker or DA/SA
  10. FLHTbiker

The Shield has a very good trigger pull and much like a 1911 does so a safety is a very good idea. There is no long or semi long trigger pull like on many double action pistols.
  11. cardboard

Did Johnny Take his Butt out and buy the colt pistol today ?
  12. cardboard

Buddy of mine tried to buy a XD Mod 2 that come out today.
    Everybody sold all of them.
    So I know he didn't get one of those.
  13. FLHTbiker

:eek: :eek: :eek: Only Johnny knows
  14. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

I have not shot the Colt, but I own a XDM 40 cal and a S&W M&P 9c and the S&W shoots better for me.
  15. cardboard

A 9mm is gonna shoot better than a 40. The velocity of the 40 with the weight of the bullet is not quiet as accurate.
  16. cardboard

17. FLHTbiker

I had the XDM 40 cal and bought the S&W 40C and it shot way better than the XDM 40 so sold it and that's when I picked up the Sig Ultra Compact in 45. Shoots better than the XDM did also.
    image.jpg
  18. James Wagner

James Wagner Member

I have a Glock 19, Ruger SRC9, Walter P99CAS,and Beretta Nano with laser,I carry them all But "LOVE MY NANO" best you can beat the size and price and has a short trigger pull . Don't like guns that have to long of a trigger pulls ......
  19. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I am calling BULLSHIT that the XDS or any other gun is better than the New Agent based on weight. The New Agent weighs 23 oz. unloaded and the XDS weighs 21.5 oz. unloaded. If you are using the same ammo in both guns at the same time, there is no way that a person will feel the difference of 1.5 oz. So in that cases, it is just a matter of preference of either a polymer gun or steel. A matter of DA or a combination of DA/SA or just plain ol' SA.

I was looking at a Sig video and they were saying that it is ok to carry kocked and locked. Yes, you will have to train with that but isn't that part of responsible gun ownership anyway?
  20. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

Sure you can carry kocked and locked. I like a striker fired but I guess I am old school and like a safety like my 9c for carry. I have trained since I was 10 years old to pull up the gun clicking off the safety whether I am deer hunting, bird hunting or any practice shooting. And my father tought me check every firearm to see if it is loaded and safety on until you identify what you want to destroy. I will check a gun at a gun shop even after they have checked it to be empty and handed it to me.