1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Another Sarter Problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by SkyKing, Aug 7, 2004.

1. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

I have a 100ci Rev Tech with the 5 speed Rev Tech Trans and Spike starter. Sometimes when the engine is hot and I try to start it, a terrible grinding noise eminates from the primary (the starter pinion is not engaging the ring gear). With a bump or 2 of the starter I can get it to engage. I first thought it was a grounding problem. I tightened up grounds and checked them for good contact. The batt ground was a little loose, so I thought that was the problem. The problem got better (It doesn't do the griding thing very often now), but it still occurs on a hot day after riding hard for a couple of hours then taking a break and trying to restart. Frustrating.
  2. goliath

goliath New Member

had the same problem. Too much compression. Get a couple of manual compression releases. They do the trick. Burned out one starter before I tried it.
  3. trooper2481

trooper2481 New Member

Goliath,
    I posted a request for info on where I can buy a set of 12mm compression releases for one of my 100" Rev-Tech motors. It's drilled, but plugged.Can you help ??? trooper2481
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you checked HD's SE Compression releases?

Have you checked with CD here at DP they may have them.
  5. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

On the compression release recommendation : So, you think the initial starting draws down the battery so much that there is not enough juice left to throw out the pinion gear? Because, when it does engage it turns the engine over with no problem (not slow or sluggish).
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a hot restart problem, normally you'll get a kick back or what sounds like grinding because the motor fires before the ignition.

Start it without twisting the throttle at all the pistons are hot and light off the mixture before the spark hits and it's a problem

Only solution is compression releases which give the gases a place to go and not put pressure back on the motor.

You could have starter issues, it could be the begining of a problem as well.
  7. CD

CD Guest

I had this really long, nice reply and lost it. :mad: :( :eek:

There are releases available DS09500002 10mm x 1mm order 2ea.

Check the starter cables cheap stock cables are junk use Terry. Make sure the battery is fully charged, in good shape and the charging system is keeping it up. You would not believe how many bad starters turned out to be bad charging systems killing the batteries.
    What gear ratio is on the starter? Early is 9 / 66 94 and later is 10 / 102. If the ring gear is chewed up, use a retro fit kit from Rivera to swap it back to 9 / 66.
    Here is a link to help explain. https://www.directparts.com/static/articles/motorcycle_gears.htm

Make sure the ignition is delaying at least 2-3 revolutions before creating spark! If it is not, instant kick back is the result.
    Check the cranking compression when cold and hot there should not be a big difference.

Early Revtech's came with releases late models do not as they changed the cam to reduce cranking compression.
  8. goliath

goliath New Member

comp releases

Any custom chrome dealer can get them for you.
  9. trooper2481

trooper2481 New Member

Compression releases

The only compression releases available from CCI Dealers are 10mm which require drilling heads. The standard for Rev-Tech is 12mm and I've been told they're discontinued. I bought a set on Ebay from Vulcan, but they were $150. Stainless steel, but $150 is a little steep. Hopefully they will cure the problem. Those with a new 1.5kw starter. Another one. trooper2481
  10. sybadon

sybadon New Member

same thing happened to me..

this sounds like my problem verbatim...except..that god=awful grinding was the only thing i could get my rev 100ci to do..so i brought it in the shop..i figured it was a starter problem/ starter clutch..or somehting...but i got a call the next day..and they said they would have to pull the engine and send it back to revtech because something was seriously wrong and they weren't exactly sure what is was...but something wasn't spinning ro something was jammed in there...and there were some metal flakes in there from the primary...they told me my bike is under warranty...and that they were sure revtech would send me a new one....im still waiting to here what revtech sez about this...i better be covered....this all just started happpening in one day...and brought it in as soon as i could get a trailer to haul it up to the shop.....i havent' heard a word yet..but im worried about what revtech might say, and if they will fix the problem...what's the latest with yours?

11. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Startere Problem

I had the exact same issue with a 100" Revtech. I replaced the pretty aluminum ground strap with the thickest cable I could find and did the same with the stock power cable. Don't get the stock Harley ones, there not thick enough gauge. I also added the compression release buttons which my local shop ordered from CCI for about $100. Everything has been fine since. Start with the cables since they are relatively cheap and should be upgraded anyway. The buttons definately help but the cables made all the difference in my case. Good Luck.
  12. goliath

goliath New Member

starter problem

Sorry to hear about your motor. my 100" is strong. only wish the 110 was availablewhen i built my bike. Cables can really be squirrelly. Get the good ones. Make sure you ground the starter directly to the battery with one cable and use a second cable from the starter right to the frame. I pulled the second cable up behind the battery and connected it to the frame there. Another problem could be the copper connectors in the starter itself. If you crank it too much they can burn. Take the cover off the starter and clean the copper connections with emery paper. its easy to do once you get the starter out. If these are faulty it can cause thedrive to be pulled back in maybe causing that grinding noise. Its cheaper than throwing 300 clams on a new starter.
  13. CD

CD Guest

RevTech had a bad batch of Torrington crank bearings used on the output side. They were destroying themselves and trashing some left cases. They have rebuilt every engine including exchanging cases if needed on each one. In some cases where big damage was done I understand they actually replaced the engine with a new one using the same serial number to reduce the headaches for the customers. The problem was that they did not know which engines had bad bearings only that they were out there so they informed the shops to keep an eye out for the failures. We had two fail a couple of years ago but none since. This might be what is up on yours and should be fully covered. The RevTech engines are stout and great performers.
  14. sybadon

sybadon New Member

thanks

well thanks for the info....that gives me a little relief....the shop told me they thought that they would replace the whole engine....and they told me not to worry about it..it would be minimul cost to me...which is a relief..i got a wedding to pay for !!!......
  15. tkob51

tkob51 New Member

starter problem

before i would mess with compression release add on's, i would check the bosch relay. its sold at most car stores. its the first thing to check on spykes web site when you check there symptoms list. it worked for me.