1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Arlen Ness Air Kits

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Mar 30, 2009.

1. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

From what I've seen here, I would definitely suggest that whenever you check the filter that you pay close attention to the condition of the back plate and bolts. Just too many people reporting probs. not to.

I know I will be

Bd
  2. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I just installed SE stage one air cleaner couple weeks ago. I had to remove the black brace that mounted to the throttle body. Didn't like removing the brace but had to do it for the kit. It seemed like there was a gap between backing plate and TB even with gasket installed. I tightened the three TB bolts way down but to proper specs and hope they won't break over time. Not a very good design but don't have a choice really.
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Last year I added the Arlen Ness Big Sucker (not the SE) to my 08 FLHX and it seems to fit perfect, no gaps. If your SE has a gap I would be concerned that H-D they gave you the wrong part.

Still waiting to hear back from Cardboard as to the outcome of the defective bolts.
  4. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

When the weather gets better I'll get a spray bottle and some water. I should be able to start the motor and spray behind the backing plate. If there is a leak that will affect motor idle. The gasket did seal when I tightened the bolts down.
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Since my Air breather kit come off and went rolling down the highway doing 75mph, when I called A/N tech support and they was going to send me the bolts and didn't have em in stock, I ask for a whole air breather kit and they sent it. Now I'm waitin on a A/N 8" smoothe round cover to go over the Air Filter Kit. They other one is scared up pretty bad.
    I had the Zippers Max Flow air kit that was new. It had the SE backin plate, It wouldn't fit without the brace removed. HD has a plastic backin plate is why they say they have the brace. I didn't want to remove the brace either.
    The new A/N backin plate fit perfect with the brace on it. I got some 1/4 x20 Grade * Bolts and cut them down to the size of the Black allen heads bolts and put them in the Button head bolts and used red locktight to put them in the button head bolts. Then used blue locktight to put then in the throttle body.
    ON the 1st kit I had there was o rings that went between the botton head bolts and the backin plate going into the throttle body. ON the new kit there wasn't any o rings for the button head bolt. So if you have these O rings I would remove then.

So I'm sittin back waitin on my *" round cover. The bike was took out for a 100 mile run saturday. Everything seems great thanks to A/N tech support.:D
  6. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

It's actually promising to see a company nowdays stand behind their product and step to the plate when necessary. Doesn't happen that often anymore!!!:)
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Some of the backing plates have locking/alignment tabs (little round bits) that stick out and go into holes and slotted areas on the TB.

If you can't get a flat fit without bolting it down you either have it on wrong, the wrong part, or, need to grind off one of the tabs on the back of the plate.

The Ness Big sucker had a small bump,tab, alignment that didn't have a corresponding receiving hole on the HP Inc Throttle body we put on an 06, so just ground it down and it fit perfect.
  8. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I believe that the o rings are to keep oil from leaking from the hollow bolts. I would get new o rings unless your kit doesn't need them. I think we are talking about the same thing.
  9. cardboard

the Old kits had the small Orings, they would wear and leave play between the back'n plate and the bolts for the air filter that bolted to the Throttle Body, they did nothin for oil leakin.
    The new kits do not have the small Orings on the button head bolts that hold the air filter on.
    So why put them on.
  10. mctech

mctech New Member

Was out with the flu for a couple of days, and now catching up with a huge backlog of work. For clarification, we provide four o'rings to seal at the cylinder head. Two go between the cylinder head (support bracket on '08-later FLT's) and our backing plate, and two go between the breather bolt/washer and our backing plate. When holding the backing plate, the four oring grooves are apparent. We don't have any orings between the mounting studs and throttle body as there is no pressure at that point.
  11. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I was talking about the o'rings that mctech was talking about. I had a sportster before and went to the Street Glide so most of this is all new to me.
  12. cardboard

Well the rest of my parts from Arlen Ness that i was promised come in today.
    So Arlen Ness did everything they said they said they were going to do.

Thank you Arlen Ness Tech Support.
  13. cardboard

There's a flat washer and a nylon spacer that came with the 8" air cover. The directions says to use the Nylon spacer with the Stage II kit. When I use the nylon spacer it seems like the cover backs itself off so I removed the nylon spacer.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

15. cardboard

Had put Blue Locktite on it man. The nylon washer wouldn't keep it tight, it left slack in there when yer leg hit the cover and rotated it.