1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Assistance With The SERT (BaggerP)

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 14, 2011.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well you can control timing its much ouicker to make the changes and see the outcome of the power on a dyno insted of riding the bike for hours and data logging the event and looking to see if the knock sensor pick up any events you dont want to see any more than 6 deg of retard in the data log at part throttle in imo. the timing maps in the sert are pretty advanced in imo. i allways ended up taking some timing out . some timing maps even at low kpa are at 18 deg pretty aggresive imo.
  2. baggerpaul

it is allways better to leave the timing alone when you load the map . adjust air fuel mixture see if the bike runs well .and air fuel mixture is not to fat at part and wide open . and part throttle with heavy load 4 gear pulls clean on accel timing should be on the money . very seldom do you have to put in lots of timing . a few deg here and there threw out the map but not much . (on the sert maps that is) they are pretty strong in the timing area
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

BP, I found what I needed, thank BROTHER!!!:cool:

I guess I am somewhat of a purist. I would rather learn my equipment and not simply quote what others have said about it. I don't have any issues with logging the data and then taking a look at what it is telling me. Helps the learning curve ya know...:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  4. baggerpaul

lots of info ! and how to get it tuned with out a dyno !
  5. JohnnyBiker

I think Dyno's are way over rated!!!!
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

And overcharged $$$$ JB...I think the way you're going about it is right on:cool:You'll have a lot more knowledge and insight as to what's really going on with your whole set up....Some real good advice BPaul said earlier was that once you have it set up and operating...close the laptop and ride and leave it alone....at least until you make another change...then you'll understand what has to be done and why because of the way you're going about learning the system....not bad for a Sotan:roflmao:
  7. JohnnyBiker

Right on Brother!! It can be hard for one to leave things well enough alone, but if you want a consistent good running machine, one has to learn that..

Don't cha Know?????:cool:
  8. baggerpaul

you know they have there place johnny if i had a crazy combo and wanted to confirm how close i had the air fuel ratio under load at wide open for long periods of time and or wanted to know the power i was making then i would spend the money. the fact is i can not duplicate true riding condinstions on the dyno I can duplicate load conditions but i can not duplicate air being forsed in to the air filter at 80 miles per hour or the air being forced at me all these things come in to play . i can only duplicate the load on the rear tire and that is estimated at best .800 to 900 lbs on the drum. some times 1200. lbs
  9. JohnnyBiker

I didn't say worthless, just overrated! There are a lot of people that think that the dyno is gospel and that just isn't so. Like you said, it gives you approximate, not exact. Power curves change each time you fire your bike anyways because the REAL TIME conditions change each time you ride. They do have their place, just over emphasized is all. :cool:

But to tie it into the topic at hand, if you don't need to spend the outrageous money for dyno time, then to me it is a no brain er not to do so... JMO especially with a tool like the SERT, I prefer to learn rather than to have something or someone else tell me then I repeat....:D
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Just wanted you to know I was not trying to edit your post my finger hit the edit button while on the IPhone, sorry about that.
  11. baggerpaul

i agree and having the oppurtunity to have been able to have many bikes on the dyno and tuned for others as a wrench taking others folks bikes to red line over and over again it kills me more than the owners of the bike even knowing im having a load on them i know im beaten the hell out of the bike .
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  12. baggerpaul

Any way back to the topic at hand so we dont get side tracked you will find a section in the manual were you can tape the throttle to track the position atthe grip . It will show you in the manual how to convert the throttle position to kpa load . Lots of your tune time i found will be in 20 - 60 percent kpa wich is were we spend most of our time . When riding spend lots of time in this section of the manual has a great explanation on how to do this in the proper way . And help cut my tunning time quite a bit.
  13. FLHTbiker

I do feel if your going to get it set properly a dyno will get closer than trial and error. Not saying the dyno is the best answer but there is a reason why they are used. I think it's good to learn all about it and understand how and why it works but a dyno is a tool and if used correctly can be well worth it. I have a friend here that has the sert and is constantly hooking up the computer and trying to adjust it. Now he told me that he wants to build his own dyno. He could do it. Not tying to hijack your thread but sense the dyno was brought up by you I just wanted to add my thoughts on the subject.:)
  14. Lucifer

They both have their place,like Bpaul said...a dyno can't simulate real world riding,just load conditions...personally I think you could get a better tune riding,reading and adjusting where needed,I don't think that would be trial and error,more like trial and tune....If you don't run your bike at red line,why would you want to strap it to a dyno and do it...JMO
    Now....Back to you Johnny...
  15. FLHTbiker

Question Lucifer is JB learning about the old sert or is this the new one that is now I believe made by Kent Moore? New ones are totally a different animal.
  16. baggerpaul

Orange box software. Last years model. Once. You load the software. It gets updated. Through the server. To latest. Years. Model
  17. Lucifer

That I don't know...either way knowledge is power and if he learned the ins and outs of the SERT I think he'd pick up on the SESPT pretty quick if he had to....I don't know jack chit about computerized tuning,so I'm following this thread to see if this old dog can learn a bit...I know the CD that came with the PCIII I got scared the hell outta me:eek:(Thank you Fuel Moto for pre programing:D)
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

YOu know how HD gits their fuel milage and meets EPA is to advance the timing and cut back on the fuel. Makes the bike run hotter.
    And its really too lean.
    That's why is easier to burn a hole in the piston if you do a high flow air kit and mufflers and take the catalyst converter out.
    Makes too much air flow threw and not enought fuel.
  19. baggerpaul

Ya thats why i take timing out . And i make sure i set the air fuel ratio were i want it and most of the time with the sert the timing is just fine . I only take timing out on high compression builds 10.1 and above i only tend to run a total of 33 deg no need to go any more than that what is nice on the sert i can run a little less timing on the rear cylinder if needed that some times tends to ping on the rear and not the front.
  20. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

In 07 they had a recall on my bike, it was called recalibration recall.
    Seems HD had the bikes runnin so lean that a bunch of bikes burned holes in the pistons.
    HD had to do a download and give the bike some more fuel.
    I wished it had of cost them Billions.

I'm tired of the EPA standards.

We got bikes gettin about 40 mpg and they want them leaner.