1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Assistance With The SERT (BaggerP)

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 14, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I think it's great to learn all about them and how they function gives one a better understanding of what is going on. When the Jerk tuner did my race tuner he did not set it up correctly and he was trained. Learn all you can about them but I still think using a Dyno will get you closer. The guy who did mine only spent half an hour on the dyno. So probably just dumped a canned map in it and called it good.
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Shows you don't have a Clue what yer talkin about.

A good dyno man is worth his weight in Gold.

And super hard to find.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

With these tuners you have multiple map options
    best thing to do is fine one close to your build with a cam
    close to your cam that is the one you try first go for a ride
    if the bike seems to run well then go with it and start tuning.

First thing to tune is the cylinder VE table which is volumetric
    efficiency of the cylinders. The older way with SERT and SESPT
    on older bikes was RPM/TPS.

VE must be set on each cylinder first, you do this by setting the AFR tables
    to a specific figure that causes the 02 sensors to run in every single TPS/RPM
    position. As you ride the ECM data is sent to the PC (put in backpack, tourpack)
    and get at least 30 minutes ride in, uphill, down hill, don't got WOT runs, as once
    you get above 83 KPA the software ignores the data, it's not typically reliable.

You will get a results map and it will show you each cell you hit and if you got
    enough good hits to fill the VE for that cell, typically three good VE data runs will
    do it. It is an advantage to have a remote monitor on the bars to watch the graph, you can pretty much do the map like a dyno operator in one or two full rides this way

A 7 inch usb powered monitor for about $80 on Ebay or Amazon does it, or you can even put a wireless access point/hub in the tour pack for about $30 and use a Droid or Iphone or Ipad to wireless transmit the screen to it and watch. I use a 7 inch Dimo usb monitor on a Ram Mount.

Once you get the ve done, the software will merge the data and optimize each cell for each cylinder. the Tmax does the same thing only you never get to see it and you have no idea what cells it's hitting so you can't ever get all the cells done as quickly.

Now that the VE cells are set the maps AFR targets will be accurate, until the ECM has the right VE the AFR is off as the ECM doesn't have the right target VE so it can't hit the AFR. The two are linked.

Next you can do data runs, this will obtain other data such as spark data, it will show you where the HD Ion sensing system is expecting (that doesn't mean knock occured it means it THINKS knock is going to occur) knock and starts pulling out timing. So you go into the timing table at that data point, say 50 kpa 3000 RPM and pull out 2 or 3 degrees of timing.

HD Ion sensing will pull out as much as 7 degrees of timing when it kicks in killing power, sometimes it's just as little as 1 to 2 degrees of timing that needs to come out.
    so you kick the timing in that area back a bit and go run it again, if it doesn't happen again you've optimized the timing and power.

Lots of other things in the software you can work with but these are the basics, SESPT is similar.
    BTW a good VE tune and a data runs typically get within 5% of what a dyno operator will get
    for the same tune area. Now some things you can't do on the street that you can as easily on a dyno
    which is put a load on the engine to hit some cells that are not easy to hit riding.

It's not as important as many people think because, if you cant hit that cell to tune it you
    are not going to hit it when you ride so it doesn't matter that you don't hit them...

For a basic build like filter 103, 255 cams and Fullsac x header with slip ons the map
    you can get for that build from Fullsac dyno tuned when you purchase the TTS and pipe from them a free $300 dyno tune map. Then you just go run the VE's to make
    sure your ve's are set, and it will be close do a data run for knock and then you are done very quick.

TTS is quite powerful but not complicated and one of the best tuning softwares out there, IMHO you should download the TTS software and manual as well and learn it, and then make a decision between the two applications. SERT was made by TTS until they decided to split with HD and go on their own and its way past SESPT and easier.

For example TTS now has a cam selector, you can pick a map, then put in your cam profile from the manufacturer and it will use that as it's decision on when to fire injectors based on valve opening time.

The newer bikes, which an 11 sedonna will be, use Lambda tables vs AFR and it's simpler as it eliminates some of the other tables from the previous years ECM.
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

And that was it. now you heard it from two guys who use very very similar software. its not hard to tune them if its a strait forward build . it can be very time consuming if you have an open loop bike. Trust me I posted that in the past. but with late model bikes you have all the tools to do it and it can be done with out a dyno
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I would love to learn the TTS system but one thing at a time my friend... I am absolutely confident in my ability to learn not only the SERT, but also the TTS. :D I am way confident also that if I have questions (which I know I will) that you and BP will answer them. That too is awesome!!!:cool:
  6. hotroadking

My point was that both the old SERT (Now SESPT) and TTS operate the same...

They are tuning the ECM - and the ECM works the same regardless of the
    tuning package,
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Like I said learing and understanding how both systems work is great and good knowledge. However my stage 2 Harley download works fine. I don't feel it is any different than buying a tuner and playing with it to find the right tune for your bike. Is it close, yes, is it perfect, no. but, I'm out riding and not having to mess with it all the time. Rode it all over back east on my trip, bike never went into overheat mode in all that extreme heat back there. Somebody like Baggerpaul who is well trained and has years of experience using them I can see getting a close tune with one.

Sent from IPhone
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

When I did the 103 on the last bike and had the Woods cam in it and all .

Here I am with Wolfgang Grasser having him do dyno runs. This is where we did them in the Hot summer and it took from 8:00 in the morin till 2:30 that afternoon. We had to let the bike cool down,

He is a pretty good tuner. He's does heads. He let me stand right next to him when he was dynoing the bike and when he was writtin the program for the bike. He was explainin everything to me he did. Did I remember. Heck No.
    I'm too old.
    He's got the best set of heads I've seen. Bob Woods said the same thing.

Daytona Bike Week 2010 - 6-Time WyoTech Horsepower Shootout Champ - YouTube

[​IMG]
  9. baggerpaul

If it tunes good in the hot dense air it will haul ass in the cool winter months !!!!
  10. JohnnyBiker

;) So basically if I learn one then I already know the other?....:D:cool:
  11. hotroadking

To some extent,
  12. baggerpaul

the lay out and function of the ve tables is very similar on both systems the max you can get is 127.5 max of the ve . at that point you would start to tell the soft ware ci displacment was larger or change the injector size to a diffrent dwell (on time per say) that just does not happen unless the build is very crazy .
  13. JohnnyBiker

You mean pulse width????:rolleyes::D
  14. hotroadking

No VE, basic building blocks VE cells are the air capability of the engine at any given
    RPM for any TPS (throttle position) Now if you get an 10 or up you no longer tune by TPS but by KPA, which is better (Pressure) per RPM... It's more accurate, and the ECM's now work that way.

There are times when you get into wild builds or some guy that's put Eddy's heads on Bobbys Cams with Tommys Pistons and Earl Bobs Special pipes along with Einstiens Coil you know they read the boards and think everything is golden when they read it, (same people that think Obama does well because they watch MSNBC only) , anyway, when this combo gets going along the VE tables max out in specific areas.

So say you have a 110, and have done all this work, and when doing base VE runs you
    find a lot of cells maxing out, IE the system is seeing more there than the tables can allow, You can go into the setup table and change it from 110 to 120, then go back and do the runs. What this does is let the sofware read the actual efficiency, and then
    it's capable of getting numbers in those specific areas that fit what the ECM wants to see.
  15. baggerpaul

correct thus allowing more range of the map ve you have now been working with . and yes johnny in technical terms pulse width .( ontime duration of pintle of injector if i tell it the injector is smaller than it is i now shift the ammount of time its on . i dont suggest any one do that ! )
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  16. hotroadking

Actually the injector on time is determined by settings in the map
    based on cam selection, it's one of the new features we (HTT) beat on TTS for
    was the ability to modify the map cam position, this makes more maps
    available.

You can dial in the cam open, close, lift, duration etc, so the injector firing
    is done precisely at the correct moment.

As far as I know SESPT doesn't have this feature, among others...
  17. baggerpaul

if you go to injector settings . its in the same edit portion of cubic inch displacement . you can then change the injector . as a matter a fact you must know what injector you have with the soft ware or it will default the injector size 4.35 gm per second thinking it has 25 deg injectors . i think the late model bikes are 4.35 gm per second ? i dont know hrk if im correct about that ? i know that when i maped my bike i had 4.22 gm per second injectors . when i maped my buddys bike he had some v rod injectors and i had to edit the gm per second i think if im remember his were 4.89gm.
  18. hotroadking

Yep you can change injector size as well...

but for the basics as JB is doing a 103, stock cams heads and pistons,
    a set of pipes and filter it will be a simple download and VE tune...
  19. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I've got such a headache reading these posts! I guess if it don't turn, pound, ratchet, crank, spin or blow-up, I can't fathom it. I'm getting old I guess. Anyway, if I get to itching to modify my Harley, I'm gonna hire HRK and Bagger to do my twin.
  20. baggerpaul

you are one hundred percent correct i was just talking to you . i dont even want him to go down that road . that starts to get involved and you can give your self a big problem you start to change to many things at one time and you can get lost of were you are in the tune .