1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

At a complete loss..... HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by Lurch, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Lurch

Lurch Member

'02 883 hugger, after market ac, stock head pipes, after market mufflers.

Installed Premium tuners kit, Mixture screw at about 2 3/4 out.

Bike runs good through the gears, but I can only do 80 mph in 5th WOT. I can drop to 4th and get it up to 95-100, shift to 5th and she drops back to 80. I finish a ride and my right leg smells like gas.

Needle jet is in correct, no vacuum leaks. I'm thinking about replacing the slide, the float needle, accelerator pump diaphragm, and the needle jet. Am I missing anything or am I barking up the wrong tree and should be looking at something else? I'm starting to grasp at straws here.... any help would be great!
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The fact that you are getting fuel spilling out or onto your leg indicates the float valve is either bad or the float level is too high. I suggest replacing the float valve. I would also check that the manifold boot seal is good. When they begin to harden or crack they can leak under load.

The following page describes the typical problems following a carburetor build or re-installation. Clogged passages and vacuum leaks are the most common but the above described issues can also cause you problems.
    http://www.cv-performance.com/harley-cv-carburetor-tuning-issues/
  3. Lurch

Lurch Member

Ken, Thank you for your response.
    Do you think that would limit my top end in 5th gear?
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Yes it could if the float valve is sticking or if debris is clogging passages thus starving the carburetor under load.
  5. Lurch

Lurch Member

Ok, I'll order a new float needle, then update after install, Thanks.