1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Avon Lake or bust!

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by joshbob, Jun 9, 2012.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yup, it's time for me to start seriously planning my little 1200 mile jaunt to the great state of Ohio and back. I am leaving here on two wheels, come rain or come shine - on the 28th and will return on the 4th of July. 7 days in all, with 4 of those days in the saddle.
    Perhaps a little background might be interesting . . .

I was raised in Ohio by my aunt & uncle til I was about 10. They had one daughter, a little blonde girl about my age and we grew up like brother and sister. It is at her house that I'll be staying. She is married to a guy who likes old cars and is currently restoring one. It's a Dodge of some kind.:cool:

My cousin, whose name is Mary Ellen, is organizing a sort of family reunion around my visit. I haven't seen any of them since 1972, and many I've never met. One of my half brothers rides a Harley bagger, and his wife has been trying to get him to buy her a trike, so far with no success.;)

The route I have chosen there and back is very easy and almost all US highways. Very little interstate unless skirting around large cities.

The beast is ready to go. My solo saddlebag was shipped today and should arrive here next week sometime. Thinking I'll do the motel thing this time, one night up and one back. Only carrying the bare essentials in the solo bag: maps, a change of clothes, vitamins, cell phone, camera, and a little pocket sized New Testament. And tools & spare parts, of course, in the riser mounted tool bag.

Will write more later . . .
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Well ya got a good copilot Josh! Wed I'm heading up to Laconia Bike. Week in New Hampshire. I haven't been there since 1981. Grear state for mountain riding. Be safe in the Buckeye state!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
  4. joshbob

Laconia is a pretty big deal. I hope you have a great time up there. That many bikes in one place seems to me a bit crowded. Have considered going to Daytona, which is the nearest one to us, but then again, I'm put off by so many bikes. I guess I don't like big crowds.

I have heard that prices go up at these events, like motels and such. My neighbor down the street has been to Sturgis a couple of times and says it's gotten more expensive each time he went there. Now he can't ride anymore because of a bad back. Sold his wide glide a few weeks ago and is looking to maybe sell his Heritage. It's a beautiful bike.
  5. joshbob

6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

How far can you go on a tank ful of fuel.
  7. Fatboy128

Back in the late 70's into early 80's I went there every year. The ride is mainly for the state roads to explore. The scenery is great and then there's Mt Washington. Great ride up the highest peak this side of the Mississippi. The happenings there are at Weirs Beach. It is a zoo. Years ago many riots when it was mainly the "biker" crowds. Prices do go up. We put 3 in a room and it's not bad. Then there is the race track for the bike races. I used to see Frddie Soencer, Lawson and "King" Kenny Roberts (Sr). We actually used to park our bikes on Friday to avoid the crazies, and sit and watch them!
  8. joshbob

I have a 3.5 gallon tank and I get 37 MPG. I'd say around 115 - 120 miles. When I hit about 90 miles I start looking to fuel up. That's good for me, because I have an iffy back, and more stops means more rest & water, etc.
  9. joshbob

Didn't know that about Mt. Washington. I don't really recognize those names you mentioned, but I'm sure they're great riders. I guess watching the crazies roll in would be fun to do. Must be really congested if you have to park your bikes while there.
  10. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Sounds like it would be great time, wish it were a bit closer to ride to. By the way Josh, actually highest peak east of Mississippi is in NC, Mt Mitchell

Mount Washington is the highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288 ft

Mount Mitchell is the highest peak of the Appalachian Mountains and the highest peak in the eastern United States. It was the highest point in any state of the United States until Texas joined the union in 1845 / 6,683 feet (2,037 m)
    Mount Mitchell, Elevation ;)
  11. MountainCruiser

Josh, post some pix of the trip, hope you have a blast and good weather. So how far do you plan to ride each day. My last 600 mile trip, I did 400 miles first day each way and had an easy 200 mile finish the second day. You planning to split it or ride heavy first day? Hard for us on smaller bikes to do 600 miles in one day. Maybe getting a little older? Nah! :rolleyes:
  12. Fatboy128

Well I'm corrected on the highest peak, show ya ya can't believe everything you read (sign on Mt Washington auto road). I'll drop a lil blue pill into a stream on the mountain, THEN it'll be the highest peak! Ha!
  13. MountainCruiser

Yep, only things I know are not very important... just happen to know about Mt Mitchell cause it is in my back yard, one of my favorite rides up Blue Ridge Parkway to Mt Mitchell... or up Hwy 80 (Devil's Whip) then get the Parkway at top of Mountain and ride it back home. :)
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ride safe and take your time, load up some tools for on the road side fixes it's
    an older bike, stuff that will be needed like open ends for battery, spare light bulbs, can of oil, allen set etc...
  15. joshbob

Thanks buddy. I always carry tools and a few parts like extra points/condensor, light bulbs, spark plugs, fuses, etc. What do you mean by open ends for the battery? Jumper cables?

The day before I leave, I'll give all the bolts, nuts and screws the once over (not retorquing - just make sure everything is tight), check tire pressure, check battery charge, oil levels. I just changed the tranny and engine oil and added Zmax. Will also add Zmax to my fuel tank today. Zmax is a once every 3 months maintenance thing. This is an experiment I'm conducting to see if I get any added performance or milage. I leave the rest in God's capable hands.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  16. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

ride safe !brother nice to see that one of the things you found to be important was the gospel you should have an awesome ride.
  17. hotroadking

open end wrench, 10mm for battery, 1/2 inch etc.
  18. Fatboy128

duct tape & electrical tape!!!!! OH yeah, and a couple pf packs of Jujyfruit gum! Works great as a putty to fix things! Just chew up a pack and slam it into a hole or something and let dry over night! I fixed a 72 pontiac gas tank with it on the road and it lasted at least over a year!
  19. hotroadking

zip ties, ya can put a lotta stuff back on with zip ties.
  20. hotroadking

JB can't remember if it was said or not, but Give someone your trip itinerary, what roads, where you plan to stop and spend the night, etc, That way they can stay in touch and if they don't hear from you, god forbid you breakdown in Banjo country in the hills of KY and two bubbas drag ya off ta the woods, well, they'll know where to look.

Especially with that older bike and your first trip in years, plus it will make the wife feel
    better knowing how to reach you and where to reach you....