1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Avon Lake or bust!

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by joshbob, Jun 9, 2012.

1. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Good advice Josh, back in March when I rode down to Florida by myself, wife and oldest daughter wanted me to text them at breaks, let them know where I was and all OK. Guess they figure as we get older, need to know we are OK. Have to admit though, riding by myself was best part of the trip. Rode when I wanted to, stopped when I wanted to. You are gonna have a blast, makes me wanna take off for somewhere. Keep us posted... ;)
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd see the day when a 1200cc motorcycle would be considered "small"!:D Of course, it's true when compared to the big boys now.

I'm gonna play it by ear on the milage. Would like to go at least half way first day.

Yup, electrical tape and zip ties. Got it covered. And Mac the Wife will know my route and I'll be calling her at least once a day - and ain't no hillbillies gonna be draggin' me off to the woods for a cornhole fest! :eek::roflmao:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

there's a pretty cool eyephone app, Glympse

You download it to a smartphone for free,
    then you can send a "glympse" set it for 15 min or 4 hour
    duration, then the receiver can get it in email and follow
    you via GPS cell location online. Shows road, speed, direction.

Pretty cool, used it a bit on the trip to 'bama'

Glympse - Share Your Where
  4. joshbob

I only have a dumb phone and I'm happy with it. All it does is make phone calls. I buy my 60 minutes for it every month or so and that's it.

There are certain things in life that should remain a mystery. Electronic gizmos are too invasive for my taste. Pretty soon they'll be able to monitor how many times you fart in one day and then calculate how many gas-x pills you should take.:rolleyes:
  5. joshbob

Went for a 120 mile ride yesterday. Went to the local DMV to take the riders test in a parking lot. Failed it the first time. Went back in the afternoon and passed it and will be getting my permanent license soon. Had to lug my motor and turn down the idle to get thru the the course. It must have been designed for mopeds. For the weaving thru the cones test, they were only 10 feet apart. :gah:

On the way home, My side mount tail light/license bracket broke off the rear axle, bounced off the road and hit me in the butt and ended up in the road. Walked back about a quarter mile and retrieved it. The electrical connectors on the inside are toast. Have to try and fix 'em. I paid $175 for that POS replica 1929 Ford tail light - surely not made in America. I may end up fabricating an entirely new bracket out of heavier material and try to save the tail light. Glass is broken too, but I have a spare glass. Sucks.
    Sorry there are no pics - I can't figure out how to post them with this Windows Vista yet. Whole different photo set up.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

at least ya got through the test before the light feel off..
    Thats how chopper/ bobbers got started stuff kept falling off and guys left it off. probably started in L.A. as a bagger and ended up in New York as a bobber...
  7. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

:roflmao:
    :roflmao::roflmao: that was some good belly buster chit right there.
  8. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

9. joshbob

10. joshbob

:roflmao: Doesn't everything start in California?
  11. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Josh, I will say a prayer for you to be safe on your trip. I like the New Testament OK, but like the Old Testament much better. Can listen to it on cd while riding. They also have it for i-pods if you have one of those.
  12. joshbob

I can't hear anything but the wind and the motor while riding. If I wear the 3/4 helmet, it cuts down on the racket some. I might be wearing the 3/4 helmet on the trip though it's heavier.

I just checked the extended weather forcast for my travel days for different areas I'll be going thru and it looks like rain.:gah: It could change . . . still less than 2 weeks away.
  13. Creekside

Creekside New Member

Sounds like a fun trip. Most important is to have a good time. I do carry most everything mentioned here in a small pouch. I also carry a small volt tester.

If you phave one of those multi state gun permits I would take one, but watch out for those Indian Reservations. :roflmao:
  14. joshbob

I don't pack so I don't need one. Don't think I'll be going thru a reservation.;)
  15. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Hey... if you don't have good pair of rain pants, spring for them. Think your jacket is from leather up, and has water proof liner? I did that and hit rain on way to Fla. Was glad I bought good rain gear, worth the money on long ride... skimp elsewhere... jmo. Hqve a blast!
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I'll second that, rain gear is a must out here, once you get wet out here you stay wet a long time and it is always a cold rain.
  17. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Not this year man. Rain is a distant memory out West. But I'm sure where Josh is going, it'll probably be constant rain and flooding.
  18. hotroadking

Gheez ol poor Josh just wants to ride to Ohio, he's got this idea of sunny days, back roads, stops at cool little places for gas and lunch, just having a good ol time on his bobber an y'all just talking Rain, slippery roads, rain suits, tools, can of oil, zip ties, windshields, bugs, helmet size, LOL Heck ya'll gonna scare him into just taking a plane!

Fug it JB, get on the bike with a compass, some cash yer cell and a map...

BTW since ya got a ways to go, a little trick is to UPS ground your stuff to the final destination cost ya about $10, fresh clothes, a second pair of skivies, whatever so you don't have to haul it on the bike. Then the fun is when you get there put all the dirty stuff in the box and ship it back to the wife, she'll love getting a box from you on the road, and of course it will have all your dirty shorts in it..

Come to think of it. ya might want to ride by ol hob gob and high tail it outta there when she gets that box LOL
  19. joshbob

I will not be sending Mac the Wife a box of dirty laundry - she would do a Mac the Knife on me!:roflmao: As far as rain, well, I'll be wearing the bare minimum of clothes - they get wet - they dry off faster. I wear sleeveless tee shirts here sometimes when I ride. Now I know that may horrify some of you guys, but that's how I ride. No lectures, please!:rolleyes:
    Yup, I'll be sending up a box of fresh clothes and will only have to carry a few things on the trip.
  20. hotroadking

Well heck Josh you coulda had a lotta fund
    with a box of clothes.

Actually just wear your older stuff that you
    need to get rid of, then visit Wal-Mart on the way
    buy the new clothes, change at the Wal-Mart changing
    room and toss out the old LOL