1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Avon Lake or bust!

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by joshbob, Jun 9, 2012.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Now there's a classic example of our "throw-away-society" mentality!:roflmao: I like my old clothes too much to toss 'em out. I prefer to wear them out! When my tee shirts & shirts get frayed around the collar and sleeves, Mac makes me turn them into shop rags for she tells me she will not be seen in public with me looking like a hobo!

BTW, I designed a heavier bracket for my tail light/ license plate, got it welded up and put it back on the bike. Now I'm trying to change the oil seal on the cam shaft and having a devil of a time getting the old seal out of the cone. I "Joshed it", as Mac would say - that is, put the seal in there with Permatex. Yikes! What was I thinking?
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. joshbob

Got the seal in finally and discovered I had an Evo cam cover gasket. Harley dealership for ya. Had to drive over a 100 miles to find a shovelhead one. Put the bike back together and today going for a trial run.

I got a nice used shifter lever from Tattoo that I want to use but it fits a bit loose on the shaft. Any ideas how to remedy that? I thought of tack welding it on. Another idea was to drill the lever and install a set screw.
  3. joshbob

Ran the bike today and I think I got the final leak stopped - at least for now! I solved the loose shifter problem by tapping a hole thru the lever. Then drilled a shallow countersunk hole into the shifter shaft. Boys, that puppy is in there now. And since this new shifter lever is 2 1/2" longer than the last one I had, it works 10 times better.

Got the saddle bag on the bike - it looks great! I'm thinking of hooking my old PC back up so I can post pics again. I'll be leaving next Thursday . . .
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Have fun traveling to the Buckeye state. Keep us posted.
  6. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

that boys goona be a shovel head expert soon! have a safe trip joshbob be safe!and enjoy the ride.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah we wanna see some pics...have a safe trip and a good time...:cheers:
  8. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

yep, sounds good Josh, get us some pix...
  9. joshbob

Been looking at the extended weather again and it looks pretty good going up, but there is gonna be rain both days coming back down. Everything is set up at Avon Lake, so it's too late to change dates. Just gonna halfta suck it up on the rain.

Short back fender and no front fender will make it pretty wet, boys!:rolleyes: It is going to be an adventure for sure!:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  10. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Don't know how they can predict the weather beyond a couple days. And when they're wrong (almost always), do you ever see them come on the tube to apologize???

Have a great trip Josh, and screw the weather.
  11. joshbob

Yup, I'm goin' come hell or high water - But I'd much rather have heaven and sunny skies!
  12. joshbob

New development yesterday, boys. I buggared my lower back doing yard work. I wanted to cut the grass and do some other stuff before I left. The injury is bad enough that I'm gonna have to postpone the ride to Ohio. Can't even straighten out this morning. I wouldn't be able to go up even by the grey dog - can't sit very much - and it's 26 straight hours by bus. Gonna have to stay in bed for a few days or more with heating pad & ice treatment. That always speeds up the healing process.

I guess the worst thing is I'm gonna have to tell my cousin who has made all the preparations and co-ordinated all the family members for the reunion. Really sucks.

But The Beast is ready to go . . .
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  13. baggerpaul

Josh bob that sucks brother so sorry to hear you had this happen . Hope your back gets better soon . Put ice packs on it . Cold is better than hot for inflamation . And helps some what ibuprofen is a great anti inflamatory better than pain pills for lower back. Been nurseing my back for years bent over fenders and lifting heads and tranys did not help as I got older . Paying for it now . Lol
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That just sucks big time joshbob....hope you recover quickly....
  15. joshbob

Yeah, I'll be taking Ibuprofen for a few days at least.
  16. joshbob

Monkey wrenches get thrown in our little plans for a reason, though often we don't know why. Maybe the delay made it possible for something worse to not happen later . . . who knows?

At least, that's the way I like to look at it. So, I'll catch up on some lost sleep, a little reading, and go for shorter walks. It can always be worse . . .
  17. baggerpaul

every thing happens for a reason!
  18. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Sorry to hear about the back Joshbob, I know you were looking forward to the reunion. Maybe they can reschedule, plent of warm weather let to get there in.:D
  19. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Josh, I have a chronic bad back that I can bugger up on the stupidous things. I go to bed after taking 2 Aleve. Try it. It works on many bad backs I;ve been pushing it for years and get many excellent reports back. Feel better bro.
  20. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Josh... hate this for you man. Know you have been looking forward to this. Bunch of us grey beards have backs that act up from too much hoisting more than we should have. Like some of these other guys, mine goes wacko every so often... lay the Advil too it and rest it. Had a similar family thing two years back. My sister in from Colorado, big family hoodo and I could not get from chair to chair that day... just the way it goes... nothing you can do... your attitude is great!