1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Back rest or no back rest

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by tjandt3, Jan 5, 2008.

?

Rider backrest or not?

1. Use a rider backrest

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. Don't use a backrest

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Only use a backrest if the ol lady is behind me

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. rdgzoe

rdgzoe New Member

I plan to get a detachable back rest for trips, however its got detach I like to get my DYNA street bob as old school as possible.
  2. fireitup

fireitup New Member

back rest Nah

The Bonnie I ride is so smooth and "fast" don't need a back rest. I don't carry a passenger. They're a burden to me.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

so, i guess askin you for a ride is out of the question!!!!!!!!!!:p
  4. fireitup

fireitup New Member

yeah

At my age I'm lucky I can hold the bike up for myself. Too funny:D
  5. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

you can't be any older than the rest of us farts here! :roflmao: And if you are, at least YOU'RE better looking than us! :D
  6. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I used to hate the look of a sissy bar/backrest....now I'm ok with it...same for a windshield...never knew what I was missing till I got one. I must be getting old....
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

old=comfortable............:p
  8. SteveO

SteveO New Member

Back rests are awsome & very comfortable. For me , I'll do without only because if I take a spill I wanna leave the bike and not have that backrest keepin me pinned while grindin the pavement.
  9. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Good point Stevo that is the very reason i run a low sissy bar, so if she has time the OL can stand up on the pegs and get off the bike. It just occured to me that this would be a good drill to practice to keep in shape for the weenie bite contest. Al
  10. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Backrest For Driver Comfort

I Had An Adjustable Driver's Backrest Installed On My 2006 Ultraclassic For More Comfort And Back Support,especially On Long Trips Of 500 Or More Miles. It Also Created A Compartment For The Rear Seat That Makes Me More Comfortable About My Daughter Riding Back There [ 6 Yr. Old ] And She Likes It.it Does Add Something To The Bike's Looks As Well But For Me It Is Functional. I Highly Reccommend Them On Tourers.
  11. mikewoodward48

mikewoodward48 New Member

I have one for me and the old lady
  12. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

HAD ONE ON THE LAST ONE BECAUSE OF THE OL'LADY, AS YOU SEE NOW I WENT WITH THE SOLO SEAT AND WHEN I MAKE A SISSY BAR, NO PAD. IF SHE WANTS TO RIDE WITH ME ANYMORE SHE CAN FENDER IT:roflmao: , IF SHE DOESN'T LIKE THAT SHE WILL HOPEFULLY GET HER OWN. IF I MAKE IT EASY THEN I'LL HAVE TO TOTE HER AROUND ALL THE TIME:roflmao:
  13. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Got one when I bought my Mustang seat and love it. Wouldn't take a long trip without it. Riding 300-500 miles a day is a piece of cake.:biker:
  14. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

bikeweek

on march 7th i went to bikeweek in daytona and never arrived. after a stop at the dealership in ormond beach i had to get gas immediately and i pulled into the first gass station i came to on hiway 1. as i was dismounting a pickup truck backed up into my bike,knocked me down,smashed/broke my left foot under the floorboard, severely damaged my bike as well [still rideable]. after the emt's and police came and went it began to rain. another bike went down injurying it's female rider [dislocated rioht shoulder]. i managed to put boot back on,gas up the bike,put rainsuit on and proceed to drive to jacksonville,fl. to my brother-in-law's house which took hours of getting lost all over the city. i spent a week at my bil before my father-in-law came from alabama with his truck to transport me home and the bike to mobile bay hd. now all that remains is for me and my baby to heal.i was trying to decide whether or not to retire and this has made the decision for me. my wife wants me to get rid of the bike and ay first because of the pain i was agreeable. i have since reconsidered and i have reservations about giving up my only outlet and pleasure other than my family especially my little girl. i have condensed this story but everyone will get the idea.this is my secong injury to that foot in six months and $ 9,000.00 damage to bike.it took 3 months for the repairs and it will be in the shop again for at least that long this time.it is good to be home alive in theodore,al.i will not make any more long distance trips alone.i can't discribe the feelings of loneliness and the need to get back to my comfortable "den". i surprised myself with my own tolerance and fortitude.the police and emts left me to my own resourses;the insurance companies left me stranded at the service station & in jacksonville. payback is going to be a bitch. i will receive a check for $ 10,000.00 for my foot and the option to sue the pickup driver should i require more medical attention [ i probably won't because i customarily heal well and harley will fix my bike as beautiful as it was new. well time for a lortab and dinner. all my accidents are unexpected and unavoidable because i do not get sufficient opportunity to react properly . my last minute decision to make the trip was more than i bargained for. **** happens to good people!!!!
  15. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

That is really sad news. I hope the guy that hit you was in the country legally and had insurance so your rates don't go up. You should get an attorney. You may be due pain and suffering or other compensation you are unaware of. Since you have a custom HD paint job I suppose you will want Harley to do the work. Otherwise the guy's agent could cut you a check for Harley's estimate and you could probably get and independent to do the work cheaper and just as good if not better and pocket the left over cash. Hope you do heal up OK but that is another reason to hire an attorney so that if you develop pain or problems say 5 or 10 years from now you can perhaps get a clause put in there allowing you to reopen your case without prejudice. Best of luck. If it was me, giving up riding Harley's would not even be a consideration and my wife would never suggest it. AL
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

frxmas that blows big time , Good to here your on the mend & in your own Den , your bike will ready when you are ready to ride just stay on the insurence adjusters back side to get it done right & fast , Hope all goe'swell for you , keep the family & the bike
  17. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Responsibility

Attourney Contacted On Following Day And Geico Up To Speed For The Other Driver.all Will Be Taken Care Of Expeditiously By Geico Especially After Attourney Contacted Their Office. There Was A Great Deal Of Pain And Suffereing As Well As Inconvenience For Me.my Insurance Would Have Dealt With This If I Had A Problem [progressive] And I Have The Option To Refile A Claim If Necessary.i Believe Everything Will Work Out. Harley Will Be Thorough And An Independant Would Have Trouble Getting The Painted Parts Any Quicker Than A Harley Dealership.i Just Need To Get To Where I Can Walk In Order To Return To Work At Least Untill My Retirement Papers Are Finalized. Thanks For The Advice And Well Wishes.
  18. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Get better, sorry to hear that. Just make sure they cover your a**. We ain't 21 any more and don't heal like we used to. Thankfully you're alive, it don't always work out that way, and I'm sure it could have been worse.
  19. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

My Daughter was about 6 when she started riding with me too....I dint take her on the highway till she was about 12 or 13....the only complaint I get is the seat is too small.....guess I need an Electraglide
  20. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Imagine that. my OL complained about the cushy mustang seat I bought for the RK being too wide, claimed it would make her butt get wide. Sometimes it is best to just grit your teeth, keep your mouth shut and buy her what she wants. Truth, I much prefer the low profile narrow seat. Al