1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Baffled

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 14, 2013.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

MIght be the battery is just going bad,
    how old is it... Or a cell going bad, it can show full charge
    on a meter but not hold any cranking amps.

Just had to replace the battery on my daughters 2010 Focus
    lights, radio etc all came on fine but it couldn't crank, jump started
    fine, wal mart to the rescue, and it starts fine...

3 years is about it in FL...
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

JB have you found anything out yet ?
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

No, he is really busy at the moment so I will have to wait for a little bit. Thanks for asking.... :cool: I HATE ELECTRICAL SHIIT!!!!!
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

I don't thinks its a serious problem at all ! he had real good parts for that motor and machine work looked real good . I know the starting problem is a bad ground said that from the start of this issue . ground is a return of current if ya have a bad ground there is no current flow when load is applied. that motor ran tits for the whole trip there and on the way back your ridability went to ****. so its going to be a piece of trash in the carb . maybe a bad plug wire . bad map sensor something stupid a intake seal ? spark fuel and compression! that will tell the tail ! unless that motor got super hot during that parade flow you were in and the motor got hurt . but I don't think it got that hot . I don't think its sumping as the filter would be super wet with oil and smoking like a diesel . put it back on the dyno and have him ride it and monitor air fuel ratio . that will tell the tail . hell it could even be a bad coil . not having enough fire ! hard to tell this far away. but I can tell ya it wont be in the motor assembly or the parts good quality stuff.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

LMAO ,I know about to busy ,My bike is still setting apart , due to all going on around here & my toe :witsend:, if I could scrape together enough pennies I'ed load it up & take it to chucktx while my son paints the tins for me
  6. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Johnny, start with the easy stuff first: battery ground cable and connections; load test the battery; resistance check the coil and plug wires; gas cap vent; but I think it sounds like electrical problem.

I installed a 6 gauge ground wire from the beginning when bike was new in '08, and I still have the original H-D battery.
  7. JohnnyBiker

I think that it is a combo of a few different things. I do think that the 60 wt oil is a part of the issue but to what degree, I am not sure. I did have a loose ground on the battery so we got that taken care of. We installed the good Yoopers Cables that I decided not to put in when we had it torn apart. No change. Our next stop is to pull the carb clean it and then check the MAP sensor. I have a feeling that it is this, of course I don't know this for sure but the way the bike is acting, it has something to do with my tune. Carb jetting can't just change, my plugs are clean as hell, looks like they aren't even firing for how clean they are. :confused:

P.S. I gave Derek permission to take the bike home with him for the weekend and ride it for the weekend so he can get a good feel for what isn't happening. I think I may have forgotten to mention that I am getting a decel pop all of a sudden as well. He will get it worked out. Oh, you should have seen the smile from ear to ear when I told him to take it home with him.:D
  8. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

He knows what the Road Glide has!!! :D He had a smile like a kid in a candy store on his face!! I say that bike doesn't like the oil! JMO, I could be completely wrong but that is when it got goofy on you!
  9. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Could be ! He is running that high pressure spring maybe it can't scvange it out fast enough !
  10. JohnnyBiker

I just got a voicemail from Vance and Hines. My baffles are shipping today. :cool:
  11. hotroadking

Did ya order the V&H Brass Baffle Brush?
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Man please :roflmao:
  13. JohnnyBiker

Yep, bought the best one they had too. :D
  14. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

JB,
    I may not have it all correct here but my friend had an "01" Ultra and he had a similar problem and it turned out to be the main 30 amp fuse and fuse holder, I believe it is or was an in line fuse meaning not in the fuse box. If I remember correctly the it was a fairly common problem with some of the touring bikes for that year. His would die while ridding let it cool and it would fire back up, then it just pooped out one day on a very busy road. Harley fixed it and he traded it off. Oh it was several years old when he started having the issues. You still got a couple of weeks to fix it and still make the trip.
    I wouldn't think 60 weight oil in the dead of summer would cause you any problems, but ya never know.
    As mentioned it could be the battery, I have had them test good but had dead cells or something wrong on the inside and would not start the bike.
  15. JohnnyBiker

I have heard about the bad main breaker as well. It turned out to be just a bad negative cable is all as far as that goes.
  16. JohnnyBiker

And everything is pointing to that!!!! Just got back from Derek's and he had said that he felt that the 60 weight oil is just too thick then compound it with that spring that we installed. He goes to me, "the gauge reads 60 psi when cold, I wonder if it really more?":roflmao: I asked if he did a compression check and he said no. I asked if he would just so I feel all warm and fuzzy inside to assure me that I didn't hurt the engine. I am not expecting that, but one just never knows.

Well, tomorrow you all may hear me say the words, "LESSON LEARNED." But probably not. :roflmao:
  17. JohnnyBiker

Well, I got my Road Glide back home and it is cooling down for an OIL CHANGE.:rolleyes: All seems to be working well other than I still have a decel pop that is rather annoying. I jammed some sea foam in and will see what that does. If nothing I will take the carb out and then clean it really well and then check the intake. There is something that Derek and I spoke about that was really interesting. More on that after I do some more investigating. :D
  18. hotroadking

Decel pop is unburned fuel lighting off in the exhaust.

Something that is a result of can timing and fuel jetting

Turn the air mix screw in one half turn see if it reduces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. JohnnyBiker

Yep, going to check some flanges first then I will go to the air mix. Pretty easy I would think. :D
  20. JohnnyBiker

OK, the thing that I was investigating has concluded. I had a great conversation with BaggerPaul, as usual, about what my compression check ended up being. Now when I built this motor, I was pretty specific on what I wanted. Well, lets just say that Derek for some reason did a knock knock and probably did the compression check with the throttle closed.:banghead: