1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Baffled

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 14, 2013.

1. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

JB, the heat from the stop and go traffic was damn hot but shouldn't have done any damage because my bike did not get hot enough to even go to parade mode where it shuts down 1 cylinder.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with you and with Baggerpaul but I wanted to look at all possibilities as to what could possibly be wrong. Man, it was hot that one day that is for sure. :D Everything aside, I still have that decel pop. I haven't had the chance to ride lately as there are other things that need attention.
  3. JohnnyBiker

After Wednesday I will be able to get back at my bike and start to look at what my issues with the decel pop are. I won't be able to put it on my lift as I need some accessories for it first. I am going to check the exhaust for leaks by this I am going to start the bike and run my hands by the flanges and then where the slip ons go, then check the nuts on the the mufflers and the flanges. This decel pop is just driving me crazy. Also, if that isn't the issue, I will adjust the mix, hopefully that will do it. :banghead:
  4. JohnnyBiker

I was able to sneak out and start the Glide up and quickly check by feel if there are any exhaust leaks that are present at both the flanges and the muffler clamps. I did not feel anything there so I am going to put a wrench on them tomorrow. I am not going to mess with the fuel mix until I am able to get that wrench on the flanges and muffler clamps. ;):D Oh, I am going to regap my plugs back to where they were too. :D
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JB did you use copper silicone when putting the headers to the mufflers, this stuff stops all
    leaks at slip joints, any place with a slip joint should get copper silicone..
  6. JohnnyBiker

No. Not on the muffler. I have never taken those off.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Finally, I do think that I have it worked out. The front head pipe was pretty loose. Tightened that, about a half turn on one of the rear ones, a 1/4 turn on the rear muffler clamp, re-gapped spark plugs to .040" and just less then a half a turn to richen the mix.:cool:
  8. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

So is the trip back on?
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

hope that does the trick for you , just go back & double check all engine nuts & bolts :D
  10. JohnnyBiker

Thanks to Bagger Paul I finally got that nasty popping to go away. I was on the phone with him just talking and we were talking about the carb and all of a sudden he asks if the vacuum port on the backside of the carb is capped off? I said it was but wasn't sure if it still was. I tried to get a look but couldn't see it well. I was going to take the carb off the manifold anyway so I could reseat it in the manifold. Sure enough, there it was uncapped. Man, now is that thing just perfect now. :D
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That will do it, how did the V&H baffle brush work out, didja get them cleaned out
  12. JohnnyBiker

Ha Ha, I do have the new baffles for it but I will keep them in the box for now. Everything is just fine. I just need to reset the idle, and most likely will have readjust the idle mix as well. ;)