1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bike is makin a noise

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Dec 17, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Hey CB all kidding aside man its you bike and your money. Everybody has what idea's and what they want. In a way its kinda of like a dream and we all share it in some form or another with our rides. So, go for what you want and don't look back. :)
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Well when its explained to me that the stock motor has a cam lift so high its gonna want to make the rocker arms that are too short kick the valves to the side and the 4 /5 stroke on the crank is gonna beat the pistons to death , cuttin way down on the engine life I can understand that.
    And the keepers on te valves need to be replaced not to mention the valve guides. Yer gittin more into a motor. And you still have the wrong crank.

Don't want a short life motor the way I ride..:D
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

This is a fascinating thread . . . learning a lot.
  4. cardboard

If'n you don't want to have yer cylinders bored, here is a it with Cylinders, pistons and all. Its a good deal.
    But you can have yer cylinders bored and buy some pistons and have some headwork done. Then change cams.
  5. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

They can and will do pretty much whatever your pocketbook can stand for now and over the next decade of payments. I think FLHTbiker ha got it - it's whatever you want. Just as long as you can enjoy it and not be a slave to it.
    BTW the sun is out and the 4" of snow is melting - yea-a-a-h!:):):)
  6. joshbob

We're socked in with 10'', cardboard's favorite weather! . . . And I used to think that 74 cu. in. was big!
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

fascinating, yes....................but do your own research.....not all posting is fact!:)
  8. FLHTbiker

Now that's a fact!
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

just pulling your chain , Like FLHT said do what you want , it's your bike , but just saying it would be nice to have two bike's one for cruseing & one for Hot rodding heck I can't aford two bike s right now
  10. cardboard

Even if the 120 R is a bike that will have a short life , here is what owners say about it.

I've got about 2000 miles on the SE120R now. Here's some thoughts.

* The automatic compression releases are great, bike is easy start almost every time. It doesn't like extreme cold starts, below 15*C. It hasn't failed to start, but takes a little more cranking to get her to fire up. Think I'll have the tuner check it out for that.
    * General around town driving takes time to adjust to the screaming eagle race clutch. It takes time to adjust to the hard pull and the available torque requires retraining of your autopilot clutch skills.
    * This motor will go through rear tires if you do not have the will power to stay out of the throttle. It is far too easy to light up the rear tire.
    * Fuel milage varies greatly between 35 and 45 mpg. The SE120R begs you to roll on that throttle. When you do and trust me you will it drinks gas like an elephant drinks water. However, when you ride like a sane person keeping the highway speeds under 70mph it'll get 40-45mpg.
    * Gear ratios, wow this thing definately gives you another gear. 6th isn't needed below 60 ever. It'll sure change your shifting habits or at least for most it will.
    * The powerband is pushed a little to the right for most, but even on the low end of the RPMs this thing is a beast and can handle any situation you demand of it. It just creates lots of power really fast which takes getting used to. This motor is fast, it is not a slow power developer. My streetglide hits 120mph like it was nothing and feels like it has a whole lot more. I find myself watching the speedo more because it does like speed. You'll find yourself strolling along the highway at 90mph and swear you were only doing 60mph.

It's a wonderful powerplant so far, but I'll reserve my final impressions until I get it out this summer for a long touring ride across America. The longer touring rides I believe will show its true colors for my purposes. Hope that helps give you your SE120R fix. My suggestion for now is, get one you'll love it.
    ---End Quote---
    That pretty much is what i would say about mine. Really throws my Roadglide around. What was once an underpowered touring bike is now rather dangerous for my passenger and i. Lots of fun would not be happy with less now. Got a map to run it on from a forum member the one in the SE software was very lean did not sound good at all when i started it. I'll get it tuned in the spring but runs great right now. The rev limiter is set at 6600 in the SE software for the 120 map i turned it down to 6200 till i get to the tuner
  11. cardboard

12. joshbob

Slow Joe be smokin'!
  13. chucktx

14. FLHTbiker

Nice burnout Chuck...Now we know why cardboard want a bigger motor:roflmao:
  15. joshbob

Looks like ya burned a hole thru the cement! I don't have that much rubber to burn. Speaking of rubber, my Avon's came in today. Can't wait to get 'em on ol' Bob.
  16. cardboard

Redneck Chucktx is out with his moonshine buddy and his girlfriend drinkin shine and playing Redneck Games again.:D
  17. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao:eek:h slow joe need a new tire & so does chucktx I seen the spot chucktx made very cool for a stocker :cool:
  18. chucktx

just checkin the ass of the 88.....was gonna put a new tire on.......so, was testing the guts!!!!! did it in all the gears too................still need to repair the concrete.......but probably wont................:D
  19. cardboard

Looks like yer lady friend was shakin her finger at you.
    And yer moonshine buddy was suckin in the tire fumes..:rant:
  20. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Are you encouraging CB??? :gah::banghead: