1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bike Lift / Maintenance and Storage

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Welder, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

What a great idea!! You got to want it bad to do what he did but now he has a great tool to work with.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That would be way cool makes me think, hmmmm :cool:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

that's the kinda stuff you do when you sell your business and retire LOL
  4. FLHTbiker

If I did it I would run some black pipe under the concrete for the air line and maybe an electrical outlet connection. Still not a bad idea and wouldn't be all that hard to do.
  5. nebassin

nebassin New Member

i would have to put a quick disconnect on the front tire clamp. that would help me from tripping over it. maybe!!
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes it is....i have been thinking about that set up ever since i saw it.....cleanest lift i have ever seen!!!
  7. quietone

quietone Active Member

anyone have knowledge of garage floor tile, I like the looks of the floor in the pictures posted by hotroadking but if its 3 to 4 dollars a sq ft for tile it would cost 3000 plus to tile my toy box which is 30 by 35. Considered that u-coat it or rust-oleum epoxy floor but it is 10 yr old concrete and even if I was to in theory get it clean enough to apply it's to cold in minnesota now to do it this year cause the floor is to be a min of 55 to 60 degrees when applied and not used for a few days afterwards. The other problem is everywhere I check I'm seeing a life expectency of 3 to 5 years till part of it lifts and then you have to grind it off to reapply or try to patch when done on "used concrete" and mine has been used pretty well
  8. quietone

quietone Active Member

just read of the lift for $20 with the 4x8. I have 1 made from smaller sq stock tubing which is 3ft for under the bike end and about 4.5 ft on the handle side. These two are welded togather at a 90 degree angle making a L shape to look at on the floor. Then another 3 ft piece is welded 8 inches below and parallel to the first 3 ft piece with two upright pieces about 1 ft in from each end. This was tried at 7"-8"-9" and 10. At a 9 and 10 inch spacing it was really a pain to lift the bike and at 7 it just didn't cut it for stability. With an 8 inch span it works great on fxr, dyna, ultra, and softtail and I have done it myself many times while sitting on the bike putting it on and taking it off the stand. It is the same principle as the 4 by 8 but this lift gets used "alot" around here, put it more toward the front and the front tire is off the ground a couple inches and if it is put toward the back like under the tran the back tire is off the ground, if more lift is desired put 2x4 under lift before pivoting handle and have a friend run handle cause it will require a little more effort. It is very stable and you can sit on the bike and wiggle around pretty much as much as you want. Great for cleaning-quick level wrenching-and even for taking weight off suspension for winter storage. Numerous people have copied this light, quick and fast lift and swear they wouldn't want to be without one now
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

what's he strap to , too keep the bike from falling over? I did'nt see any loops or something to hook to
  10. FLHTbiker

I was wondering the same thing when I saw the picture.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Strapification
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

looks safe and easy to me!!!!!!!!
  13. FLHTbiker

Yep, should work