1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bike makes clicking sound - only starts with Kickstarter with LOW fuel light ?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Stark, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Stark

Stark Member

Hey guys,

I recently framed my 15' 500exc and have only just reassembled the bike. With everything loosely fitted I tried firing it up but no luck. After a brief inspection I saw that I didn't attach the lead to the throttle-body- plugged it in and it started first go.

I then fitted the tank, seat and plastics on properly, but now when I press the ignition I just hear a single click from under the seat (relay ?)

Failing that I started it with the kickstarter and it fired up fine. About 1 minute into the trip the fuel light came on And it began to stall when I gave it any throttle at all- though it seems content to idle very weakly.

I began to think it's due to the fuel pump, but when I check the throttle body side hose it's oozing with fuel, so fuel seems to be getting through to the throttle-body. Even if it was the pump, why would the bike not turn at all when the ignition is used ?

Similarly, if it was the starter (brushes) that doesn't explain the fueling issue once the bike has been kick-started.

I've tested with two fully charged batteries also.

Anyone have any bright ideas ?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Look for a loose or missed connection

Test the circuit breaker or just replace it with one that matches from an auto parts store.

If the relay works and it's still not working check the wires

Check your chassis to starter ground as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Stark

Stark Member

Hey thanks for the idea.

I got it going sort of. The volt meter was reading 13v at the starter spade, but only 9-10v at the starter terminal.

It seems the powder coat is preventing a good earth to the frame and engine. I have roughly made the contact points better, but sometimes the bike will exhibit the same issue- but un-tightening and tightening the engine bolts seems to fix it.

Will do it all properly tomorrow and report back with findings. Thanks again man!
  4. hotroadking

A bad ground is almost always the culprit....

Electric isn't that bad, just remember it's a circuit and
    the electrons take the path of least resistance.
  5. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Running a ground cable from a starter mounting bolt/nut directlly to the Neg post on the battery fixes it for good. Usually improves starting on many bikes.
    Fatboy128 likes this.
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

+1
  7. Stark

Stark Member

I got told the same thing on another forum. I'm going to do just that, but what gauge wire can I use for that, something with very little resistance ?

Also just an update on the frame issue:

I took the engine bolts out and meticulously chiseled off the paint to bare frame- since the engine holes are immaculate it only needed cleaning on the outside engine mounting points to get a solid earth. Now it fires up quite easily and have not had the issue since. :)

I still plan to fit an earth wire directly to starter/engine. Thanks much for all the good info guys!
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Use the same gauge as your battery cables.
  9. hotroadking

Just go to an auto parts store and get an automotive
    battery ground cable of the correct length,

NAPA carries all kinds and lengths, it's nothing special.