1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bike-Talk Rally?

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 18, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Will you be able to plan for this for next year??? Have to put that really good gas mileage to the test.....:roflmao::D
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

We've been breaking records for several weeks now over here in eastern N.C. I hate to admit it, but maybe there's something to this global warming crap.
  3. joshbob

No GPS for me. I like the old fashioned paper maps. Holy Smokes, I think we're really going to do this next year! I will set aside 2 weeks give or take for my end of the adventure. By then, I should have built up my riding chops sufficiently & my bike should have all the bugs worked out.
    This summer, God willing, I'm going to tool up to Ohio (600 miles each way) and see my long lost half brothers. One rides an Electra Glide - how cool is that!
  4. JohnnyBiker

I prefer to ride the bikes down as well, but if the OL' Lady doesn't let me get a different bike I will have to trailer mine in.......:witsend: 900 miles on my Sportster doesn't seem all that fun to me...But who knows?? I am confident that I will be able to get a different one though......:D

Is this your first scooter JoshBob???
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ask chrome about a sporty cross country ride , from what I here she did it more then once
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Alex is about 100 miles west as he said in his post, There is a ton of places to ride to.
    I have some property about 8 miles south of Alex that I'm trying to to sell.
    In Colorado you never leave home on your bike without packing a jacket, if it does rain it is a cold rain. Nights are cool and days are warm in August, September is a bit cooler and it can snow anytime at higher altitudes. I've lived in Colorado since 1958 and have seen it snow on Labor Day weekend. It snows on Pikes Peak sometimes in July, weather is a big topic around here.

Maybe we shouldn't have it here in Colorado after all. Because all you flat landers will be wanting to move here after a week riding our roads....:D
  7. JohnnyBiker

That is awesome... MN is really pretty as well when you go further up north and a little further south. I am kind of in the middle of the heavily populated part of MN....
  8. joshbob

Johnny, I started riding in the '70s. My first bike was a Honda 350 and then got a 450 while living in Ohio and rode it cross country. When I got to California I bought my first of two Sportsters, a '72 black beauty. Rode that to Florida and then back up to Ohio. Later, I rode back down to Melbourne, Florida in one day (1000 miles in 24 hours) just to see if I could do it. That old ironhead beat me to death but I loved every minute of it! What's wrong with riding your Sportster 900 miles? You're beginning to make me think you're a softy! Get on your bike and go man, goooo!!
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  9. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

How's about New Jersey? :roflmao:
  10. joshbob

I was born in Joisy City - glad I don't live there anymore!
  11. JohnnyBiker

No storage.
  12. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Wouldn't you have to get approval from Tony Soprano? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I vote Street Glide..........:cussing:
  14. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

So, any closer to a date & place (in CO)? Seems like before August 20th is a good idea.
  15. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Naaaa, furgitaboutit!:roflmao:
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

usps goes everywhere!!!!!!!:)
  17. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

HarleysLR is right about the weather here being unpredictable, but it's never extreme in August or Sept. Mild and dry is the norm.

I just thought Twin Lakes would be a good place, but maybe HarlesLR or Hot01 have some suggestions. I do like the idea of camping though. Trouble with trying to get in the State or National Parks in August is that there are still mobs of people.

Johnny, you could UPS your gear here before, and I will tend to it. That way, you don't have to buy a new bike unless you really want one.
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

darn JB you packing for a month or what? just pack a week clothes , tooth brush & paste good to go , wrap jacket & chaps(if need to) on handle bars good to go :D
  19. JohnnyBiker

Not packing for a month, but all I have on is a small fork bag to carry things like smokes, phone, glasses...that sort of shiit....Other than that, NO Storage!!!!:banghead:

So for next summer, I like around the 4th of July, partly because my birthday is close to that....nothing like spending a birthday with friends.....:cool::D
  20. joshbob

Johnny, All I'm taking are a solo bag on each side of the bike and a tool bag on the down tubes in front. Should easily carry all I'll need. Sleeping bag & small tent will be lashed over the rear fender. All my camping stuff is from my bicycle camping days - lightweight & compact. In the pic of my recumbent is a sleeping bag, tent, mini air mattress & 2 saddlebags. On the handlebars is a tool bag & water bottle. No more than 25 lbs. fully loaded.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011