1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bluetooth headset

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Oct 22, 2010.

1. steveb

steveb Active Member

My wife and I each like different types of music so the system we have allows us to each play our own music thru the headsets in the helmet plus talk to each other thru the intercom.
  2. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

As no surprise, I'm with the fudds on this issue. I spent buku bucks to make my bikes function, and I see no reason to whore them up with options that just waste my time.

I'm ridin' to ride. I do carry a cell phone in my jacket pocket, and it's shut off. If I need it, I turn it on.

As for music, there's a time for that. But, guys, isn't it enough to be riding a great Harley, in the sun, not working and being where no one can find you? Why do we always have to be on the grid 24/7?
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:cheers: I'm with you. Most of the time I just shut off the music.
  4. The Tourist

I learned "quiet" and focus at an early age.

I was an angry young man. I was frenetic, jumpy and OCD. I worked in Milwaukee on a loading dock, and then hit the slab right after work on Friday nights to get to Madison.

When I first pulled out onto the highway to start the trip my mind was racing, but I had to sit there for +45 minutes, depending on weekend traffic. About thirty miles outside of Madison is the rest area, and I would pull off and gather my thoughts and finally get myself under control.

I never forgot that lesson. When I pull onto the slab now I can feel my body mentally "exhale."

Why would anyone want to drag the world's problems into the limited time we have to enjoy our bikes?
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there are those that are so addicited to technoligy, they cant stand to be without it for longer than a few minutes.....always having to adjust something, turn something on/off......to be the first on the block to have it.......yea i love my music......and i listen to it through speakers, not headphones.........jmho:)
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We have a guy in our chapter that is always messing with stuff, he has had every tuner made and carries his computer with him and at every stop he opens the trunk and makes corrections. :gah:
    He has every conceivable blue tooth function phone and what ever attached to his bike. No one wants to ride with him. Me I'm like Chucktx listen to music through the outside speakers. I don't want to talk on a cell phone when I'm riding. When I retire I might even get ride of the cell phone, I've had to live with one to long.
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The man that owns BikeTronics that sells radios, amps and speakers for yer Harley said, you ever thought about puttin speakers in yer helmet that sound better than the speakers you have in yer fairing.
    And You can hear them better than you can hear the speakers in yer fairings with loud pipes.

So what's different from Listening to speakers in yer faring than listening to speakers in yer helmet.'
    When you take the helmet off the speakers STAYS in yer HELMET.
    Not in yer ear.
    Chucktx I guess the wireless headset you got that you listen to the TV and stereo on keeps you from walkin around and hearin anything. And you can't cook with them on.
    No difference than puttin speakers in yer helmet if you wore one.
  8. The Tourist

I do see that dichotomy. I just find the necessity for it on a motorcycle to be confusing to me. And patently worthless.

If you're near you're home area, then you'll be safely in front of your big screen TV within a few minutes. If you're traveling, then you are seeing new country for a limited period of time, and you should not listening to music you've heard a dozen times before.

In our current age of biking, the idea of "freedom" differs from that of my generation. Currently we mean it to be free of the world and those types of cares, a lousy job, that nagging telephone and scores of people stealing your time.

So you go out and spend thirty thousand dollars on the state of the art touring bike, and then take all of that crap with you?!!!

While I love my big bike, my focus this year was a smaller, simpler bike that is essentially an engine and a seat--and a terrible seat, at that. I had a great riding season. I haven't seen a touring bike pass me (yet) with a charging plug hooked up to a computer in a saddlebag, but I'll bet I see at least one next year.

Of course, it will be owned by a guy in crappy clothes, fresh ink, and a sleeveless vest claiming to espouse the "lifestyle" of the 1960s.
  9. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I spent nearly $500 on speakers for my bike. There from Vance & Hines :rolleyes:
  10. The Tourist

I spent 600 bucks in the 2004 to have an entire 95-inch upgrade package done to my engine.

I don't know exactly how you inferred your "roll eyes" smilie, but it could mean that you think I got the better overall deal--in other words, a gift that keeps on giving.

I do believe this is one of those "generation" issues. My generation spent a lot of time chopping and bobbing, the new generation spends its time wiring and bolting.
  11. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Not to mention texting while driving.
    Got a report thru my state ABATE newsletter that had some interresting facts put out by ACEM and the Hurt report from our Gov.
    The majority of the crashes were caused by two things - The cagers standard reply (I didn't see the bike) and the rider of the bike not reacting properly to the situation. ie: wrong brake or driving to fast.
    This was a bone of contention over the feds giving money to the states to setup roadside check points for motorcycles only.
    AMA and MRF are fighting this thru different courts to get it stopped- but the bottom line still is training the rider to do the right thing at the wrong time. As in handling the bike in a situation that would put the hurt on ya, to get out of it safety.
    Which brings us back to cell phones - weve got enough to do without any more toys to tinker with while ridin - so my cell stays in the bag until I stop.
  12. steveb

steveb Active Member

I like to have tunes while I ride .I have my MP3 player loaded up with the music I like and plug it into my radio and go. when the wife comes along I will use the helmet headset so she can listen to country while I listen to rock. Why are people referring to cell phones with this ???
  13. cardboard

I keep sayin the same thing over and over.
    But for some reason folks are deadlocked on Cell Phones.

And it gits to like the helmet law. You should have the right to deceide, not other folks.
    If you can't listen to the radio and ride. DON'T
    If you want t bluetooth headset and want to listen to directions from yer GPS or listen to music. DO.
    I wear a modular full face helmet. I adapted to it years ago.
    Speakers in my helmet wouldn't bother me.
    It has turned into a debate on Cell Phones oh. And if you don't like a cell phone, turn it off...............:cussing:
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't know it might distract you
    and you would run a red light and turn on
    red and get a camera ticket.....
  15. cardboard

I would have to have my wife to got me to drive 85 miles to houston to hit s Redlight camera ticket
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  16. steveb

steveb Active Member

Bluetooth is an open wireless technology standard for exchanging data over short distances (using short wavelength radio transmissions) from fixed and mobile devices. Connects to more than cell phones.
  17. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

The eye roll thingy is the "sarcasm" look. In other words my pipes are my speakers. They are all the music I need........
  18. cardboard

Yer KIddin.......:rant:
  19. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I bet they match mine... or a variation of mine, I did put in a quiet baffle last weekend and like them very much.
  20. The Tourist

Yes, I know that V&H make pipes, but when it comes to this electronic trinkets and trash market, I have no idea on who makes what.

For all I know Vance & Hines now makes stereo speakers, and conchos for RUBs to show off their new ink.

But that might not be a bad idea. There might be some real money in opening V&H tattoo parlor franchises. If you have a nice radio on your bike, you might really like ink that says, "Born to be Dialed."