1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bluetooth headset

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Oct 22, 2010.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao: born to be dialed , I do have a blue tooth for my phone , but at time's I need both hands to take care of my special needs son ,& talk to the wife or one of the other kids ,I would not or will not put speakers in a helmet (when I do where one) to me you can't here anything around you nor can you here your bike ,I do have a radio on my E glide with some decent speakers but there 's a knob on it that truns it up or off ,& My home made pipes a little loud :D I like the sound of them as well
    SO EACH TO THERE OWN
  2. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

In the overall scheme of life, I agree. However, in living out that idea I believe you should be who you are, not reframe the conditions or try to re-write history.

For example, as you know my pet peeve is twenty year old guys who wear 1960s clothes and utilize protest-era jargo to "live the culture." If you ain't sixty years old it ain't your culture.

Within that idea are guys who first claim to like motorcycling, and then make bikes a bastardized version of a two-wheeled Winnebago travel trailor. They slide down the highway gushing, "I'm free, I have the freedom of a biker," but then drag around more of an entertain center than I have in my house.

How is that different from a guy who goes to Sturgis by trailoring his bike?

According to the service writer at my dealership most clients with dressers average 3 to 4K miles per year. Some guys don't even get enough miles to require an oil change. Yikes, I can put on that many miles before I finish humming In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

...and no radio is needed for that...;)
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

just for the record......i have an 06 geezer glide i bought new....it has over 60k on it...and the stereo sounds great....i have been riding since 67, sat down one day and tried to figure how many miles i have on my ass.............aprox 600k........all on harleys...........
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I can't figure No friggin way on how many miles I have ridden. Ain't even gonna try. But my 08 has over 41,000 on it. My 07 had 38,000 on it. The other 07 I had for 4 months had 6000 on it.
    I got a motorcycle license back home when I was 14yrs old. That was in 64 Redneck.

And there is no substatute for bluetooth.......
    It means NO wires.
  5. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

Chucktx even though you have built more bikes than most people have rode, and you and Cardboard have been riding since I was born, neither of you use the jargon and you both listen to radios, so I’m not sure if you qualify as “REAL” bikers. Probably going to have to ask an expert!
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Oh lets not go down the who is a real rider or biker route.

I to have been riding bikes sense I was 14. Out ran and ditched a state cop at 15 1965. Even had a motorcycle on the island of Guam and rode around that island more times than I can count. Probably have somewhere between 300 to 400,000 miles on bikes. No not all on Harley's, wished they could have been all on a Harley just could not afford one back then. My first real ride was a 70 CC Yamaha combo bike. However have never even thought about riding anything else sense after I got my first Harley.:)
  7. cardboard

I'm not a Real Biker.
    Never said I was one.
    I want more than 2 pairs of pants ad T-Shirts

I want the title to my own bike. So I can say its mine.
    One thing I'm not is a Poser....

I'm a Redneck Hillbilly from Northern Alabama.

We don't need to be nothin else.
    We just like to have fun...
    And have friends...:gah:
  8. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

and who might that expert be????

It an't what we call our selfs it what others call us.

First time I went to a HOG meeting they were using the word bikers to talk about each other, kind of made me laugh.

You don't have to be a 1%er to be a biker. Lots of them don't ride over a few thousand miles a year.

As cardboard would say---- just sayin..
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao::roflmao:
  10. steveb

steveb Active Member

What makes someone a"real biker "?
  11. cardboard

No Real Clue Huh.........:gah:
  12. The Tourist

And that is far from average. The sad truth is that the bigger the boat the less it sails. Most guys on these wagons spend more on wax than gasoline.

Don't you find it tragic that I put more miles on a stripped down Sportster than guys do on these rolling sofas?
  13. steveb

steveb Active Member

14. The Tourist

These aren't my figures or my expereince. This average mileage has been quoted from the service writer of our dealership.

Now granted, I'm in Wisconsin. We have a shortened riding season.

However, I will state some anecdotal evidence. When I go to the dealership I see the same guys. During our cold snap last week the same guys rode.

But even on a Saturday, when a few dozen "bikers" are walking the showroom floor, we have maybe six bikes--but a lot of trucks.

In fact, I know only one contemporary who has +60K on his dresser. And he's one of the guys I see regularly. He works at our gym, and he rides from our shop. And that's the point here--he actually rides.
  15. cardboard

My 08 FLHT has over 41,000 miles and I ain't been gittin to ride very much...

My 07 WG had over 38,000 on it when I traded it in..............

I ride my wifes Nightster also.:gah:
  16. The Tourist

Yes, that's my experience, as well. For me it's replacing tires and changing oil.

I think it's the mindset. When I retired my first line of thinking was "less work, more riding." I just swapped out a headlamp to enhance driving at night--admittedly not my favorite thing, but we had some really nice evenings here this summer.

Why wouldn't you want to ride? Why do some guys seem to work over-time to blunt this experience?

When I get back in the evening, I grab a cuppa and sit in the garage with a micro-fiber cloth and reflect on the day. Yeah, I'm stretching out the 'ride' but we have some long winters...;)
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I've been looking at used Classic's, Ultra's and Street Glides 05's to 09's, there are a lot that have 5,000 maybe 6,000 miles on them, a few more with around 12,000 to 15,000miles. Most are good buys compared to the cost of a new one. Lots have more Chrome goodies than I would prefer. Most were traded in for somethig new. I turned 58,000 on my 05 fatboy last weekend.
  18. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Good time to pick up a used bagger. If I was buying used I'd darn sure go with the Ultra.
  19. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure what to make of the analogy with the youngster in the old clothes vis a vis the guy on a bagger and then I really get confused with the trailering the bike to Sturgis but before you write me off as a complete idiot I'm completely on board with being who you are and that I am very good at. I don't think I'll ever be confused with being a biker. Some of us baggers guys are old and beat up and like the windscreen and the tunes and I like the satellite radio....thru the speakers for now but the headset bluetooth I ain't ruling out someday. The next bike will have anti lock brakes and for the past couple of years at Sturgis I've seen less trailer queens and more baggers..there's actually more room at the campground now. don't get me wrong I love the smaller hot rods but I'd never want to put the big miles on them any more, guess i'm getting soft. The bigger bike seems to have an easier time pulling the trailer as well. I ain't looking for trouble or an argument..just throwing a different point of view at you...:)
  20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

well. i got my first real motorcycle back in 1965 A yamaha got my firt harley back in 1970 when I came home from over seas , I have redone / rebult my bikes to fit me my 03 gezzer glide has 61k iles now & I havent had the time to ride like I used to in the past few years , had a knee fixed then Ike hit But i'am out riding when ever I can , heck I rode my 73 shovel for 20 plus years , but only travled in about 5 states , & in all my years of riding I've never been to sturges during bike week .or down to fla for bike week , but i stll ride & some consider me a biker no I'am not A 1% just a biker who lives to ride & old enought to enjoy the radio now , this is my forst dresser