1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bluetooth headset

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Oct 22, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

That ain't a lot of miles
  2. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

I believe this over-stuffed dresser mentality is just another facet of motorcycling, and not a good one. But it is not motorcycling.

For example, lots of times we ask folks (or folks ask us) just what exactly is the attraction with motorcycling. I've found in the past that the answer centered on our relationship with the bike. Things like travel, seeing the country and just enjoying the freedom of setting your own course.

That's not so important anymore. In fact, it hardly means anything at all.

Lots of modern bikers use the bikes as just another piece of sporting equipment. They seek snowmobiles in the winter, bikes in the summer and jet-skis at the lake. And even the girls in the road clothes section of my dealership state that the nature of 'bikers' has changed.

Making a modification that enhances the sport--like the addition of a 6-speed transmission--is a benefit. Loading it down with every GPS related toy and complex wiring loom is not. And in doing so, we have unwittingly destroyed the unique idea of a motorcycle.

If your idea of a long distance trip is a GPS, a radio, a catalog of personal music, a plug-in heated jacket, warm grips, a trailor, an intercom system, and a Droid, then you have simply recreated a "car." And who in their right mind would pay 30K for a two-wheeled car when they can buy a 15K Chevy Malibu that even keeps them out of the rain?

So I have to ask the question, do you like the motorcycle or just the "idea of a motorcycle"?

I have a friend at the gym that traded in his Sportster for a quintessential garbage wagon. In talking to him it was clear that he just wanted to scratch with the big chickens. I told him it was a bad idea. Just the very idea of backing a "truck" out ot the garage would limit his riding. And it did. It took him all summer to drive 1,000 miles for his first oil change. I think he secretly hates the bike.

Now, I admit that many of the guys here are "high mileage guys." But you guys are not the norm. Dressers get left at home, and the guys who buy them actually ride far less.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That's gotta be the biggest bull**** story yet. I ride with a lot of guys on Ultras and guys with sportsters and softails style bikers. The bagger guys will always put more miles on their bike than the others and they also spend more time in the saddle. Don't know where you got your figures from but their way out of wack. Maybe your from a big city on the East coast (don't know) cause out here (west) the majority of riders on the highways is BAGGERS. The rubs that buy bikes are smaller bikes, softail size.
  4. The Tourist

Once again, I'm not saying you don't, I'm saying that most of these barges get parked. The guys who work on them report lower miles.

In fact, this is not even a new idea. Twenty years ago a bike magazine did a story on "The Gentleman's Express." It was the concept of older guys with money who actually rode a bike, and could buy anything they wanted.

That story centered on a customized Honda 550 four-banger.

For most folks a big trip is a once a year event. Most of the miles are local. And most of those guys don't drive their dressers. That's how the 3 to 4K average shakes out.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

True but lottsa folks can't get out for the longer trips
    Kids,
    College
    Work

Lotta HD bagger owners are business owners, lucky to get a weekend
    free from the job, working to make payroll so others can get paid.

I don't begrudge anyone 500 miles a day or 500 miles in a year,
    these guys buy HD's keep wrenches working, salesmen selling, dealers dealing
    and factory's working at full tilt employing Americans.

Rich or rub whatever they are labeled, remember that the bikes they buy
    might end up on craigslist going to a good home later to a guy that can't write
    a $20K check, when the guy buys a new HD, keeping York, Tonnawanda and whatever other plants operating at full tilt.

Boats, Homes, Exotic Cars, Bikes, Choppers, Airplanes, Helicopters, those with
    money keep many people working...

All I can say is God Bless the USA...
  6. The Tourist

Ya' got that right. The secondary market is loaded.

You should see the local dealership. Wall-to-wall dressers. I don't know how long the trike has been parked there in the middle of the showroom.

I even watched my entertainment dollar this year. I was having a blast on my new Sportster to be sure. And every night my wife would give me pocket change from her purse to finance the next day's riding.

(Dirty little secret--I would hand over twenties from sales and sharpening, and I actually looked forward to the dimes and nickels. The big money just represented rent and groceries to me, but the coins meant riding!)

The biggest telling factor was my headlamp. I put it in the bike I knew would use it.

Speaking of the bluetooths, they don't seem to selling in my area at all. Do you think this might be a regional thing?
  7. popeye

popeye Active Member

I agree and I really dislike when riders label other riders. Rub, Squid , Spode whatever.

Not everyone has the ability to take multiple long trips. I'm more than happy to get in my 3-5k a year.

I only live 5 miles from work and I work sun up to sundown almost every day. I get one week of vacation a year so that limits me to weekend rides. I used to put around 8k a year just on my commute. Am I a rub now and not then?

But on subject I can understand why people have use for Blue tooth. But I hate cel phones and since I only ride my bike for relaxation and my 8minute commute I have no use for it.
  8. The Tourist

I often hear the same criticism. However, there are epithets and rites-of-passage in any aspect of human activity.

For example, my forum handle used to be an insult. Now it's just the admission that my motorcycling life has changed.
  9. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Interesting observations, up this way the baggers get the miles on them. Years ago I remember the FXR..a great bike and i'm speaking from experience. Too Japanese with the side covers no one wanted them..everyone wanted the softail back then ,that was the cool bike. Old guys rode "deckers" that's what we call baggers. The Harley community is an interesting one. Back in the day if you weren't riding a shovel you were a rub or a yup and a bunch of the old guys wouldn't give you the time of day.some of them come around after a while when they see you pulling wrenches on your own bike. I have to admit the past couple of years I haven't got out much so I guess I'd fit into your category of 5000 miles a year. I only got on the bike 5 times this year..life just happened to get in the way. I really like the electric liner it extends the riding season and in order to get to the good riding there are some mountain passes to cross..gets cool up top..no sense freezing. Not a lot of cheap motels up this way where we go so camping is the thing..hence the trailer. I grew up on the small two strokes of the day and graduated to sportbikes and was a firm believer in hands before feet riding position..could never understand why anyone would ride a softail...may as well sit on the couch at home. My favourite riding was on a sportbike..you're involved..the bike challenges you...some of the best riding i've ever done was on the Ducati. Life changes though, I got married to someone who actually loves to travel on the bike and the Duck wasn't very comfy for her. Riding a big bagger isn't everyone's cup of tea, in fact there are a bunch of riders out there that have no business being on one because they can't ride..see them at Sturgis all the time..these would likely fall into the low mileage models that you see. Weight can intimidate some people. I guess I look at my bike as being some sort of recreation, I ski, play hockey, still relatively athletic..etc, I enjoy riding the bike..a lot. we vacation on the bike..take 3 weeks off and take off..see the country. Even a big bagger two up pulling a trailer is more fun than driving the chevy is it as much fun as canyon carving on a modern sportbike? In it's own way it is. I got a bit of a chuckle on how the addition of a six speed can be a benefit. Properly done with the correct final drive yes. I wouldn't want the gearing to be any taller on my bike as at highway speeds the motor would not be in the sweet spot. smaller lighter bikes are more forgiving in that regard. I'm just yanking your chain here a little. To answer your question as best I can "I like to ride"
  10. popeye

popeye Active Member

Yeah, but in my opinion there isn't any need for it in today's world. I've ridden off road and on with riders of just about any skill level and the worst handle I'll give them is rookie or beginner. The whole biker not a biker subject is childish to me.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree...but a rub is just that, buys a new bike and parks it in the garage and dusts is once in a while and maybe only gets less than a 1,000 miles a year on it. Basically bought it for show. One here did that recently when he bought a 2010 SE Ultra. Hes wife looks like a barbie doll that could break if you touched her. Came to a HOG meeting and said he hasen't even put any miles on it sense riding it home. He's rich got a plastic wife bla bla and so on.
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

All this talk sounds like it come from a Newbieeeee

You sound like somebody riding a OCC bike.

You ain't done much traveling.
    I just started riding not long ago. But !

My 2nd to the last trip the OL and me rode 750 miles in a day to Big Bend State Park.

In 4 days we rode over 2200 miles.
    Packed all our clother, and gear on a Bagger.

Its on a matter of time, some take longer and some learn sooner.
    But when you git threw with all the Bull**i*
    You will be on a Bagger.
    There ain't no better riding PERIOD......
  13. popeye

popeye Active Member

Gotcha, I'm just somewhat amazed that while there is so little talk of status at least with the people I ride with. But online there often seems to be an effort by some people to prove their standings. But I do understand that a lot of this is in jest.

I'm new to this forum if there is a problem with this off topic discussion just say SHUT-UP.:cool:
  14. The Tourist

Careful with your mouth, boy. I've been riding for over 40 years, and I have been an MC member since before you were born. You show some respect.

You disagree, then be a man and say so. You whine, you get zip.
  15. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

SMUG ALERT!
    :rant:
    If anyone here is of the opinion that the only REAL bikers are riding buck-naked on hard-tail panheads on roads that don't start with "I-", then you are in truly in the minority. And a bit desperate for some ephemeral status that you need others to tell you that you deserve, in MY opinion. :banghead:

I've only been riding for 35 years - and ya know what all that makes me? Old and lucky!:D

My farts smell like roses!:roflmao:

:cheers:
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Mine do too.........:D

:roflmao::roflmao:
  17. The Tourist

I wouldn't take that sniveling in a bar, and i won't take it here.

I was warned about this guy when I first joined, and I see no reason to have him build his "reputation" on my back.
  18. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Lighten up, Francis! :roflmao::roflmao:
    (FYI - that is from the movie "Stripes")

I found out a long time ago that if you pick a fight with every jerk in a bar, you end up being the biggest jerk there. And with broken metacarpal bones, sliced open hands and on the wrong side of Johnny Law.

I think it is time to ride.......:chopper:

:cheers:
  19. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I'd say he got what he wanted. A rise out of you. He's just talking smack to see if he can get someone stirred up, and it worked, now he is happy and you are pissed off. He may have rode 750 miles in one day on a bagger but my wife can do it on a softtail for several days in a row. You got to remember CB thinks Sturgis is to far to ride to from Mid Texas. Just Sayin'
  20. The Tourist

And that's what I had heard, all hat and no cowboy.

Eh, I figure it this way. I haven't been here long enough to form a connection to this place, and the last time I googled "HD forums" I got 10,000 leads.

But I ain't gonna take this, and if this is a continuing problem then let's settle it here and now. And if this thing has been going on since before I got here, why do the mods allow it?