1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Brake Pedal Relocation

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 22, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey there SportsterBoy, yes my pipes are for forward controls. My problem really isn't that the controls rub on the pipes, it is just that I am a little short and the pipes are a bigger diameter then what the pipes were then when I bought the bike. I am looking to find a way to get the pedal to extend out about 1" so I do not have to drastically shift my foot inward in order to stop the bike. to answer your other question, the pipes are Radii Viper 2".
  2. JohnnyBiker

Hey there FXD, Actually, I think that I really like this suggestion. I guess the only concern that I have with this is distorting the chrome, but I guess that is why the make chemicals that can help with this and plating shops.
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

does any one make chrome duct tape? Gray would just be to tackie. :roflmao:
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

you always have powered coated:D
  5. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I almost got the 2" but went with what I know due to my frame and last pair, 1 3/4 " is what I have, and I'm always moving my feet in and out to shift and brake,that's just a sportster, they are made for mid controls, maybe try to extend the push down part of the pedal, kinda like the kits for cars, get a piece of aluminum cut to fit drill some holes, longer brake pedal
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

can't seem to help you out :eek: :worthless:
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hahahahaha.....lol
  8. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

it's still fun just to ramble about how to fix something you have no clue to what the problem really is.
  9. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

:roflmao: :roflmao: BUT - I believe I see what the problem is - go to the Projects section, go to the Project Complete thread & scroll thru the posts w/ photos from JohnnyBiker. The front pipe in that setup sticks out far enough away from the bike that it's always going to be a problem - not with the brake pedal or linkage mechanically, with your right leg getting to the pedal - unless you're both long-legged & bow-legged :banghead:

I've seen things like that before, due to pipe-makers thinking about looks for a show bike & not about actually riding the bike they're making pipes for. Johnny, you may love the looks & sound from those pipes, but performance-wise they're awful & riding-wise they obviously are - only way to solve the problem is to replace them. Or @ least get the pipe-maker to make a new front pipe that runs down UNDER the rear pipe, not outside it.
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

good catch art, after looking a second or third time i'd have to agree with you. nothing a good set of V&H Big Shot Staggereds wouldn't fix and would still have a simlar look.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

IIIIIIIIIII love ta go swimmin with bow legged wimmmen
    and swim between their legs, swim between their legs....!

Sorry it got stuck in my head, had to get it out...

I'd agree the pipe design is the issue,

The alternative is to fab up a spacer to shim out the whole front brake assembly
    by 1 inch, there are companies that make them for baggers that space out 3/4, pingle is one of them. have them on the 09 RG works great.

Otherwise you need to look at different pipes..

swim between their legs, swim between their legs....

shhidt now thats gonna be in my head all friggin day...
  12. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

alot of trouble for some pipes, send'em back or take a rubber mallet to them:roflmao:
  13. JohnnyBiker

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I have decided to leave them because after riding the bike a little more with the current pipes, I have become used to how the pipes are and the constant moving of my foot inward. My wife had made a good point, she thought that it would not look weird, but it would also feel awkward because by extending the pedal horizontly, I wouldn't have much room to place my feet while cruising.
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

keep some alo vera for the burns.....be careful ya dont burn your leg.....
  15. JohnnyBiker

yeah, so far it hasn't been bad. Like someone said, i am a little bull legged when riding, which is not too uncomfortable. I am in the habit of wearing chaps.