1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Buell M2 Jetting Recommendations

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by M2Rider, Jul 18, 2015.

1. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

I have a 2002 Buell M2 that I need to get a tuners kit for. It has a V&H SS2R pipe, wrapped headers, and Figure Machine air cleaner. Before wrapping the header and adding the air cleaner the bike ran well but had a miss around 3K rpm. It also required a lot of choke for the first five minutes of operation to maintain idle. I haven't had the carb apart so I am not sure what jet sizes I have so I would like a range recommendation to make sure I am covered when I begin tuning. Thanks for the help!
  2. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

I should add that the miss at 3K happens when I am cruising around that rpm. If I am accelerating up or decelerating down through that range there is no miss. The miss is a stumble and backfire. Also noteworthy is the pipe did not have packing and the baffle was in pieces. I have ordered a new one to go along with the wrap and new air cleaner.

Again, thanks for any tips and advice.
  3. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

Does anyone know if CV Performance is still in business? I have sent messages and called with no answers. I need to order some parts soon.

Thanks for any assistance.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ken gets busy, he should pop in here to help, yes they are the
    owners of the forum and should be responding.
  5. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

Thanks again HRK. I don't want to ride too much until I get my jetting done. I am afraid of running lean and scorching a piston.
  6. hotroadking

If you put in larger jets than stock that shouldn't be an issue
    The pilot jet is the key, he kept it lean for EPA reasons

Drill off the cover on the idle mix screw go easy it's just a thin plate
    Drop in one size larger on both, drop in the needle, turn in screw lightly to bottom count turns then bring out to 2.5 turns warm up carb
    And with idle at 1500 adjust screw turn in until engine stumbles then turn back out until it changes idle or stumbles, count turns between two and set in middle
  7. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

I have just installed a new baffle in the pipe and wrapped the headers. It is running very lean on bottom end and stumbling all over below 3K rpm. Once above that it is ok.

From what I read the bike should have a 42 low and 195 or 200 high. Since I haven't heard from Ken I am thinking I will just order a 45 low and maybe a couple on each side. I may leave the high wherever it is.

Also plan to replace the needle, needle jet, emulsion tube, gaskets, etc. If anyone has any advice I appreciate it.

Thanks!
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi M2Rider, see the emails sent to you previously. Jetting for your Buell is slightly different than a standard XL 1200. The jets you selected should get you in the ballpark.
  9. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

Jet kit and other parts arrived today, thanks for the speedy shipping. May try to get the tune complete this weekend if time allows.
  10. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

Installed rebuild kit, CV parts, and Figure Machine air cleaner yesterday and put about forty miles on.

Found the mix screw four turns out and a 42 low and 190 high. Went back with a 45 low and 195 high and installed the fuel inlet, needle, seat, atom tube, spring, as well as all new seals and pump diaphragm. Fired the bike up and adjusted the EZ-JUST mix needle and found it was a little fat on the bottom end. I like my girls like that but not my bikes. Went for a ride and everything ran well.

Dropped a 44 low in for round two and it was snappier on the low end, but I can screw the mix in all the way with no drop in idle speed. Still no missing or coughing and it is smooth through the entire range. It gets scary fast around 3K and above.

Not sure why the mix screw would have no effect but it is running well. I didn't drill the slide as mine already has four holes in it, guess that was a Buell thing.

The CV kit was exceptional quality and all parts fit perfectly. Thanks for helping me get this bike enjoyable to ride.
  11. hotroadking

Jet is too large if you can run in screw and no
    Changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

That's what I thought as well but the 42 is way lean. Previous owner or tuner had the mix four turns out on the 42 and I still had to run choke on to keep it from missing and backfiring. After a ride today it seems a little heavy at low rpm.

There's not a 43 so I don't know where to go from here. I am starting at two turns open and when I open it to three or so the engine rpm increases slightly but when i close it to one it doesn't drop. Maybe it is still lean and I just have the idle too high to see the change. I'll ride it this week and try it again in a few days.
  13. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

Ok, the idle was too high and my 44 is too small. Just done another warm check and when I run out to 4 turns, set the idle, and run in it starts dropping at around three turns and will kill the bike at one and a half turns. The 45 was probably good and just needed the idle set better before adjusting the mix screw. running at four and a quarter out now and it seems pretty good.

Guess I will swap the 45 back in. Still, extreme improvement over how it was running. Some people may find this frustrating but I kinda like the tweaking and tuning.
  14. hotroadking

Ok that makes sense
  15. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

Final tune. 195 high, 45 low, 2 1/4 turns out on the mix screw and it runs GREAT! Very smooth across the entire range and accel and decel is clean. Put around 400 miles on this last week and the power gain is noticeable.

Buell1.jpg

I am curious about the slide though. This one is plastic and has four holes. I guess it is a Buell thing. It has a noticeable lag off idle and I hear a sucking noise. No lag once it is running 2500rpm or better. I wonder if one of the standard type would do better? The lag is not annoying, but I know its there.

Slide1.jpg

I can't say enough good things about CV Performance and their parts. Everything worked as expected and the quality was outstanding. I also want to brag on Figure Machine. The air cleaner was excellent quality and installed perfectly. Best of all I can take the carburetor off without removing the air cleaner.

Thanks to all for the help, my riding just got much more enjoyable!
  16. M2Rider

M2Rider Member

I hope everyone is having a mild winter! Riding season is quickly approaching and I am tweaking the Buell again. Heads are off and at NRHS Precision for Stage 2 treatment. Also adding the 1250 kit with new cylinders and pistons.

I will be needing a new tune after this and had a couple of questions for Ken or someone else with knowledge. The bike ran well with the previous setup but still had some glitches. When starting hot without the choke it would backfire through the carb. Choke on, it wouldnt. Seems to indicate I need a little more on the low right?

Also, the slide in mine is plastic and has several holes in it. Would I be wise to swap to a metal slide?

Thanks for any tips!
  17. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

The cold weather is here in Ontario it has been a mild winter so far.But with the bike covered up an stored away I can't get it out to ride. All in good time .Good luck with the build sounds interesting