1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam bearings

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Jan 21, 2012.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to all for your input , Think I'll eather stay with the 26's , or find some stock cams & leave well enough alone , besides the ac, & exhaust ,26 cams the bike is stock , it pulled good & ran good with the stock cams , oh ya I did the EFI to carb swap & that part is good to go :D:cool:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

have stock cams...............
  3. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

cams are not going to change the RPM`s,they will provide power @ different RPM`s,but not the RPM`s you`ll be at 70,80 or ant MPH.try installing a different trans pully (smaller)
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

I got a set also if you want them.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

or a 6 speed

6th gear is great on softails, big difference in riding comfort

RPM too high is like kirby said, gear related not cam related I'd
    leave the 26's and oil pump alone if you have good oil pressure

What gear ratio is in the primary, stock softails had gears that resulted in
    3.15 final drive and many folks changed them to end up with 3.37 for more
    pull.

About the best way without having to change all pulleys is get a baker if you
    have $2500 to drop or call Ultima and get a 6 speed for about $600 and swap the
    internals, did that with my 124 it held up well considering the power I hit it with its a chinese baker clone but for the money it's the way to go.

Drops final ratio into high 2's something like 2.97 and is great on freeway or crusing at 65 and up.
  6. prodrag1320

I agree,go with a 6 speed.best thing I did to my bike (besides going
    127"`s!!):cool:
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Sit back and think about this. If he's not wanting to replace the cam bearings.
    And probably ain't thinkin if he replaces the cam. He has to replace the cam bearing, cam and lifters . Which he ain't gonna do.
    He ain't gonna buy a 6 speed,:rant:
  8. cowboy

First off redneck I ask if anyone had heard of this before ,I never have , nor could I find it in my service manual , thats why i ask here , if it need to be done I will change the bearings , & for the 6 speed I don't think my 03 E Glide needs one , it ran good at 75-80 for years , when i changed the cams i noticed the rpm went up almost 500 at the same speeds I ran before in 5 gear , now on my 94 softail I will think about the cheaped 6 spd , or swap sprockets , like I did on my shovel , & I brobke the forst oil pump gears , that how I got in this mess , changing oil pumps is time comsuming & a waste of money in gaskets & time is money :cussing:
  9. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

spend some time getting that pump lined up real well before torqueing it down cowboy it dont take much once it warms up and expands to crack the gear set in the pump . those gears are like an automatic trans pump gears . if the drive on the converter are not lined up perfect when you torque the converter down they crack the pump drive gear!
  10. cowboy

thanks paul , thats how I broke the first set of gears :(, The second pump HD admitted they sold sold me the wrong pump & now the thired pump they say is right , I double check with other dealers around the contry & the pt # is right this time
  11. hotroadking

All I can say it the cams have absolutely no difference in RPM at a given speed
    in the engine, it doesn't matter if you have woods, andrews, SNS, Big Johnson, Harry Johnson, or Limp Johnson cams, the RPM at 70 is going to be the same RPM as stock

Why- that RPM at MPH is given constant based on the ratio of primary gears, trans gears and pulley to final drive pulley. So unless you changed something in the driveline the RPM at a given MPH will not be different.

now what you might be finding is you have more power and are getting
    to that RPM faster, or that you ride harder because of the additional tq.

But whatever it is, it's not the cams...

As to changing oil pump, leave the cams in the cam plate, you won't need
    bearings then as you haven't pressed them out, then install oil pump, put cams and plate back in, spin rear wheel in 5th a few times to let the pump center itself on the main shaft
    then put the 4 pump bolts in last.
  12. Dew Rag

Dew Rag New Member

I say put assembly lube on them and the crank and run them with the new cams. Dew Rag 02 Harley road glide. Vancouver, WA.
  13. Smarty

Smarty New Member

Put the oil pump on the cam plate with 4 bolts snug, just more than hand tight. Line gerators (oil pump gears with crank), slide on cam plate with oil pump on crankshaft. Be sure your o rings were in position, duh. Now pushing on cam plate rotate back wheel, I do this back and forth, but you can rotate around until pump and cam plateslide in and seat with engine block. Now install all the cam bolts and torque to spec. now make sure oil pump bolts are still just snug. Rotate back wheel with transmission still in 5th gear a couple of times to center oil pump. Torque oil pump bolts. It's really that easy.
  14. cardboard

[​IMG]

I ordered a set of these years back. They work great.

Alignment Pins

Buddy of mine from Lousiana showed them to me.
  15. prodrag1320

assemble & torque cam plate leaving 4 oil pump bolt loose,put rear wheel up and in 5 gear,slowly rotate motor a couple revolutions.this will align pump.the alignment pins will line pump up with plate,but not always with pinion shaft.follow the rotating method,youll be fine
  16. cardboard

Put the tapered pins in two holes diagonally to each other to hold the pump in place. ONly finger tighten.
    Then with the bike in High gear rotate the rear wheel.
    After rotating and the oil pump aligns , put the two diagonally bolts in. Then you can remove the pins and put the other bolts in.
  17. hotroadking

Don't snug the pump to the plate before installing ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. cardboard

Use alignment pins and finger tighten
    Turn wheel then tighten some more
    Then after turning the wheel put 2 bolts in
    Done it on a lot if bikes and they still runnin
  19. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

makes sense to me...would this be the same method
    for my ss on the shovel ? oil pump, that is...
  20. Smarty

Smarty New Member

Isn't that what I already said?