1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam bearings

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Smarty

Smarty New Member

Wrong!
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You don't want the oil pump tight on the plate

If you want to put it on with 4 bolts fine
    you'll just have to loosen them when it's on the engine
    and the cam plate tightened down to spec

then rotate the engine to get it aligned or
    use alignment dowels either way you have to
    rotate the rear wheel.

Never have tightened the pump down to the
    plate, tons of cam jobs done on TC to SNS
    and 100% work fine, and never had oil blowby
    as a byproduct.
  3. Smarty

Smarty New Member

Read my post, didn't say tight, said snug as in finger tight. Works perfect every time. You don't need or have to have the alignment dowels. Rotating rear wheel in 5th gear will align it and you will be fine.
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

JMHO...when I do a cam job I install the oil pump into the cam chest first, them the cam plate assembly. I do this for a few reasons. It's easier to align the gerotors of the pump with the pinion shaft, because you can see them.

On the back side of the pump you have the port that sumps oil from the flywheel side of the engine cases. Buy not having the cam plate blocking your view, it's a lot easier to see that the port is properly seated in the o-ring that fits into the bore of the engine case. There have been a couple cases where this o-ring has been cut or pinched when the cam plate and oil pump have been installed as an assembly. But I would attribute this to inexperience or lack of attention on the mechanics part.

Finally, without the oil pump attached to it, the cam plate assembly is eaiser to install. Slide it over the pinion shaft and set the cam sticks into the inner bearings. And again, like HRK and few others have said, the cam plate needs to be torqued to spec first, then you will need to rotate the rear wheel as you tighten the pump screws. So there's my 2 cents worth :D
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to all for your input , had my bro-in-law get it on the lift ,so I'am going to try & get it torn down tommorow while setting in this darn wheel chair , i will have a young helper (gofore) to help me , he can turn wrenches as well ,:cool: Oh i have both the SM & parts book for the pics :)
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Smarty we are saying the same thing kinda

However I prefer the pump to go in first like Ringo says
    as it takes another error out of the equation the o-ring
    and helps.

Tensioners on the chain in the back of the cam plate
    can cause the cams to shift or angle together a bit from the pressure
    and take a little wiggle to get them in correctly on some bikes, so having the
    pump already in means you won't be moving it around at that
    time and gives you more room to work. One thing at a time.

One thing I've found is there are no shortcuts to doing
    it right and the right steps are always faster if you have
    to go back and redo it again.. Just my 2 cents
  7. Smarty

Smarty New Member

I totally understand your point. I just have it down now with oiling the seals and pump and have no problem slipping it in as a one piece unit by rocking the rear tire back and forth. No prob aligning oil pump gears either. Both ways are good. What ever works, do it.
  8. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

Does anybody know...Do I need to go back in and replace my inner cam bearings before running it? I already buttoned things up all but the pipes and tank after replacing my busted Fueling oil pump. I did not think about doing the inner cam bearings while I was in there. They were put in just 10,000 miles ago. The outer cam bearings are covered because I replaced my OE cam plate with a Fueling cam plate because the pressure relief valve was stuck in the stock one. Fueling put my cams into their cam plate for me when I sent mine to them to look at along with the broken oil pump. The inner are Torrington 10k miles new when the Andrews cams and S&S gears went in with the original Fueling pump at the time the cylinders were bored out to a 95" and the 10:1 Harley pistons went in 10k miles back. What do think? Run 'em or take it back apart?
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  9. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

if their the stock HD bearings,ide replace them with torringtons
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Yep !

You skipped a step.
  11. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Technically you should replace them anytime you have removed the cam plate assembly. Also, knowing that the oil pump broke, I would have replaced them without question, regardless of milage. IMHO, not spending the $20 for a new set cold cost you a lot more if they fail.
  12. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

He said they're already Torrington replacements 10,000 miles ago.They're quality bearings with not many miles on them......I say leave them in.
  13. cardboard

The rule is to replace em every time the cams are pulled and the gaskets
  14. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

i didnt read where he already had the torringtons installed,is so your fine to go,no need to replace them again @ 10,000 miles
  15. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

Thanks for all the good feedback.
    I know I shoulda, I surley coulda, I really woulda... But considering I shut down right when she took 'er Sh*t... and, Considering I already buttoned up and..., I don't have the inner bearing tool in my box... I think I'm gonna flush a quart through with the return line into a coffee can, spin on a new filter, top off, run about 50 miles and change the oil and filter again. then while I'm burnin' off another Dunlop over the next 2500-3000 miles I'll assume no debris damage and hope for the best.
    By the way... 35k on the bike and been through 14 rear tires. The local dealer service manager won't warranty the Dunlop. I told 'em They should get more then 3000 miles and I shouldn't need a new one every time I bought an oil filter. He just smiled and said "F**k you Dave". Dunlop must love me. :) $$$
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  16. cowboy

ok I'am messed up here ,had to go back & read my first post , I said cam bearing , my mistake , I left the camsin the plate whn I pulled the plate , the cams & plate have 1500 miles on them , & after today I just putting it back together & she'll be up for sale, wont be able to run the taller & heaver bike , I 'll have my 94 softail :cool:& looking at a 95 hertage lower saddle for my right leg & I'll be done with these high doller TC :D
  17. cardboard

Ya just got to wait and give yerself time. You are gonna need about a year if you try to walk on them a little everyday.
    If you don't try to use them at least a little , you will be set back more.
    They are stiff I would bet and hurt like hell. But you have to fight.
    Good luck Cowboy.
  18. cowboy

Thanks cardboard ,I do walk or try to went through the walker to cruches now down to a cane , right leg can't/wont strighten out all the way , PT not working like they wanted it to :(, for a damn simple fix it sure went south fast , then down to a slow crawl , left knee had the same fix , but 3 days after is when the hematoma(sp) set in from knee to ankle , now right leg is bent a bit at the knee & about 2-3in shorter , Docs set me for a special type split /brace to be fitted this week , we hope , as for the E glide , it's to the point where I don't trust the bike anymore , I really don't mess the little extra HP the tc has over my evo , but who know as I'll be down from riding for at least another 6 weeks :rant::eek:, the wife has a eye ball on a older evo trike down the road from us , been setting up for while now , just have to catch someone home there to see about it
  19. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

You must be doing burn-outs at every stop to only get 3,000 miles on rear Dunlop. My original tires were D402's and I went over 18,000 on the back one and 27,000 on front. Try the D402's if you still want Dunlops.
  20. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

Thanks AlexTheDog,
    I started out with a 402 then when I switched up to a 150 width I had to go to a 401. I tried the K591 and anything that would fit. It doesn't matter what I run, as long as I'm burnin' it off from every stop I'll never get any better mileage out of 'em.
    Now on the front I only got 19,000 and that one don't even smoke.

Attached Files: