1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

cam change

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 88hog, May 11, 2004.

1. 88hog

88hog New Member

i have an EV27 cam that i am going to put in my 1988 FLST it seems like i have seen a "kit" to alow you to remove and re-install cams with out removing the rocker boxes that had i believe clothes pins and magnets that would hold the lifters up in place and would not let them fall out. or if anyone knows how to set that up or has another "trick" i would appreciate it

Thank you
  2. CD

CD Guest

Unless you already have adjustable quick change pushrods the only way to do a cam change is to use bolt cutters on the stock pushrods or yank the rocker boxes.

You can hold the lifters up several ways. There is a special tool that uses magnets to hold them up. I have used large cow magnets also.

Once you remove the pushrods and tubes you can remove the cam cover and push the lifters up and hold them with large clothes pins.

But, all of that is a lot of work and a royal PITA if a lifter falls down and you have to resecure it. I find it easier to simply remove the lifter blocks and lifters.

All cam change kits come with lifter gaskets and all you need is a lifter block alignment tool to reinstall. These are only about $8.00 or so.

While you are in there, change the cam bearing! The stock INA bearing is a problem looking for a place to happen.