1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam Change

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Nov 9, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The PCV with Auto Tune Modules cost around 600.00.

Dynojet Power Commander V Five

You will have to call jamie with yer mode, year and make.

You want a Power Commander V Retrofit Kit with auto tune modules for a 08 model.

If you tell him your basic setup on what you are going to have, he will load a map for that. The auto tune moduels will tune it closer as you ride.

Jamie is the only person that is retrofiting a kit for the 08 motorcycles.
  2. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Every time I ask someone about a cam I get a different answer. I'm still looking for a came that will give good low and mid range torque. I want a cam that will work good with the 96 motor. If I went to a 103 I would get a different cam. Hope someone can pass some ideas along. My indy wants to install woods 37H cams and a Terry Components tuner. Read up on the TC and it is junk. Costs twice as much as my cheap fueler and doesn't really work any better. Hope someone will drop some ideas. Have a great weekend.
  3. cardboard

I keep saying you need to look at what a total package you are gonna build.
    If you git a Woods TW6 cam it will work good in a 96cu motor and it will work good in a 103cu motor.
    When you do the heads you will have to know what kind of pistons yer gonna use.
    I would use JE flatop pistons.
  4. cardboard

A Woods TW6 cam will come in around 1800 rpm and pull all way to over 5000 rpm.

Would that work in yer torque range ?:banghead:
  5. cardboard

Ck this out,

And feel free to call Bob Woods during the week and talk with him.

06-10cams
  6. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Thanks cardboard. That cam will work in my torque range. For now all I would do is cams. The 103 may be in the future. 1800 to 5000 is a good torque range. Thanks for the input. Another question. Do you get a small lope and idle? Wondering how the 6-6 cams made your bike idle? Did you do your own cam install? Wondering if I got cams could I stall them myself? I have a harley shop Manuel. How difficult was the install?
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  7. cardboard

Do you have a inch lb wrench and ft lb wrench, sockets, toque head drivers. locktite, Bolt Cutters, allen head wrench on a socket, open end wrenchs, screw drivers. ETC, ETC.

You might be able to do it. Do not know how mechanical inclined you are.
    It might be a job just takin the pipes off and puttin them back on.
    And the whole time yer jackin with the bike that is more time you ain't riddin.

Do you know how to adjust quick install push rods ? Push rods bend easily and the bike will not run if the push rods are not adjusted correctly.
    Lucky for me I have a Redneck I can ask questions.
    I tend to forgit things if I don't do them often.

This is very important, and if you don't do you know anybody that does?
    For the money you might just have a qualified person to do it for you so you don't tear anything up.

If you git the cams and SE quick install pushrods and gaskets. you 1/2 way there. Save some extra money and let somebody do it for you.

You can even find a harley dealer that will do this for you.

Just don't let anybody talk you out of the TW6 cams.:gah:
    You will definately feel the seat of the pants dyno difference with the TW6 in yer bike.
  8. bikerstud

bikerstud Member

The most important number in a cam's specs that indicates how the cam will perform is the intake closing. The early closing cams will have more power at lower rpm; a later closing number will make power at higher rpm. This is true no matter the size or compression ratio of the engine. If you really want the best low and midrange torque and don't care about lots of power above 4000 rpm, a cam like Andrews' TW21 is the best.
    Also, any mild aftermarket cam will make more power at all rpm than the EPA-mandated stock cam. But most racy cams will make much less power than the stocker at the rpm levels most often seen in normal street riding.
  9. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

If you install a Woods 6 or say an Andrews tw-54 cam how will the sound of the bike change. I realize you will get HP and torque increase, but is there a noticable different sound out of the pipes? I am thinking of doing this cam change and then make a decision on the 103 upgrade later next summer. I already have the stage 1 with V&H dresser duals and Big Sucker air cleaner.

Tknight1
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes, the exhaust tone changes
  11. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

How does the exhaust note change? With my current set up above, does it get deeper? Louder? Slower? Just curious on what to expect. Thanks.

Tknight1
  12. cardboard

You can hear it push a little more air which makes more exhaust sound.
    The lift on the cam will go from like 480 to 510 lift depending on which cam you choose.
    I could crank my bike and tape it, but you couldn't hear it well enough.

But when you twist the throttle you will fell it in the seat of yer pants.
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What about installing a compression release?
  14. cardboard

Why !
  15. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

OK, I'll bite, what is a compression release and what does it do for performance and sound?
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I like the sound of my bike, sounds like a John Deer. It is a little loud when you romp it hard off a light but I don’t do that very often. Cam will make it deeper like it is coming from your throat, like cardboard said more air, more noise. With a good 510 lift cam you get you just enough lope to sound real good. Those guys with the SE cams & exhaust hate me. :D:D
  17. cardboard

Why do you want a compression release !

What benefit do you think you will got from a compression release ?:cool:
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I have three options for 96 to 103 that I like

Woods 6-6
    Kuryakuyn 2C
    Andrews 54

JMO I like the woods

Woods 6-6 with the +4 advance gear, this will give you great low end TQ and pull up to about 5500 or so.

It will work great with either 103 or 96, woods cams are one of the best at making power, and it's not all about closing degrees, LSA, timing etc all play into it.

The other two will bolt in as well, and will work 103 or 96....

The key here is "bolt in" meaning you don't have to change valve springs, pull heads, check valve to piston clearance, cam chest clearance, etc.

Bolt in and go.

Get the SM on how to do it.

You do not need to change the bearings in the case for the cam unless you screw them up somehow. The cam plate on your bike no longer has ball or roller bearings.

You will need to have a couple of special tools or make up some to help the process along but if you have done engine work you can do it. and if you haven't either find a friend who knows or you can trust. or
    If you want to go it yourself we can help you through it.

This is a big ol tractor engine.

Nothing hard about it..
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Compression releases are only necessary when you build a high pressure (compression) engine. Under 180 PSI per cyl and you won't need them, a waist of money.

They simply let you release pressure during the initial starting procedure.

Unless you're running 11 to 1 I wouldn't worry about it, and with these cams and your setup you should be fine.
  20. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That is what I was wondering concerning a compression release. I've been talking with a couple of HD dealers and an Indy shop about converting from 96 to 103 with cams. The two HD dealers said do to your warranty they did not recommend to drastic of a Cam. they also said that I had to stick will Harley cams for warranty issues. Both HD dealers also said I needed to install a compression release. So that is why I through that out there, to see what others thought. If I remember right they said a SE 251 or 255 cam. One dealer is running a 20% off special for labor and parts during the winter.