1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam Change

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Nov 9, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Compression releases has to do with crankin the bike on a High compression
    Build.
    It has nothin to do with the sound comin from the exhaust.
    Thought all you was doing was puttin cams in for now.
    Didn't know you was talkn about already doing a 103.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I know it has nothing to do with sound:rolleyes:
  3. FLHTbiker

Cardboard, go back to the first post I think you have me mixed up with the person who originally asked. I've just recently started thinking of the 103 after seeing the newer ULTRA with the 103 in it.
  4. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Did some calling around this week. I came to the point that a cam change isn't worth the money or effort. If I go in that far I will do a 103 kit. As it sits now I would install Woods 6-6 cam. Will have to wait till next year and see how the economy is doing. Parked the bike for the winter and already miss riding.
  5. cardboard

Doing a cam change will make a Big Difference if you go with the right cam.
    And while everything is slow in the winter, its the perfect time to do it.
    Won't git into yer riding time.:D
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Just my personal thoughts. A cam is the one thing internally that makes the most difference in a 4 cycle engine and is the easiest thing to change, not necessarily the cheapest. Sure more Cubic Inches equal more horsepower but a cam can also give more useable horsepower for way less hassle. If your going to go big bore you need to change the cam anyway, try the cam first and see how you like it. It’ll pull much harder and the speed limit is still only 75 on the interstate.
  7. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Cams are money well spent cheap torque!
  8. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Bit off topic. How does your bike run at high elevation? I grew up in Rifle and am planning on moving back to the Denver area next year. Is your fat glide injected or carbed?
    Looking forward to riding around Durango and Silverton area. Thanks for the post.
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

It runs great at any altitude, it is has a CV Performance parts modified carburetor right down to the V-ductor I just installed. I have never fouled a plug and I don’t have to choke it unless it is real cold. I do have to hold the idle a little high until it warms up a bit. My cams pull real hard threw the entire power band and I have plenty of torque. Never have had it on a dyno and probably won’t. They are hard on equipment. High elevation is all we ride in the summer months, heck we live at 6,100 ft. As Cardboard says you have to thing whole package. If and when you get cams get some that will work with the next size up motor. There are lots of good ones out there. I happen to like S&S products, or Andrews. All the big name guys do a lot research on their products.

When you get moved back give us a shout or as they say in Texas a holler...
  10. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

I would like to compare the numbers and see the dyno results for a 96" Harley that has the Woods6-6 cam and compare them to the Andrews tw-54. I would like to start with a cam change and use the same cams when I get the 103" work done. I realize the bike used would have to have the same exhaust (V&H dresser dual with basic slip ons) with a Big Sucker air filter that is on my bike for the comparisons to be close. Do the manufactures have these dyno sheets? Is there a website that has these sheets as a data base? I also realize all bikes are slightly different, but I bet the dyno sheets would go a long way in helping make up my mind.

tknight1
  11. cardboard

What you want is the cam that will pull the hardest from Point A to Point B.:gah:
  12. tknight1

tknight1 New Member

Yes, I agree, I want the cam that will pull the hardest. But for my bike and the way it is set up, I do not want to use the trial and error method. This would be too costly if I make the wrong pick as my first choice for a new cam. I would like to look at the dyno sheets for a comparible bike and set up and then make the best decision.

tknight1
  13. cardboard

No 2 bikes are gonna be the same.:banghead:
  14. cardboard

I will post this but it is irrelivent. Cause there are different dyno models.
    Different altitude, heat, moisture, etc.
    Not to mention the typed of air breathers, pipes, cams etc.

Here is my dyno on a dyno that is very conservative.

I did a mild build, 9.8.1, R&R stage II heads, 95" JE pistons, TW6 woods cams and a PCV tuner.

If you want to do higher compression it will yeild more Hp.

Its 100hp and 104 tq.

[​IMG]
  15. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

The site cardboard gave has the dyno's for the woods and the specs - lift and durations that should allow you to compare to any other cam. I wouldn't be concerned with high torque #s and HP all you need is a good pull through your average RPM. Unless you have to pass cars already doing 75mph good torque through 5500-6000 would be more than enough. Again like cb said good pull from A - B is what you have to look for.
  16. cardboard

If yer doing 75, downshift to 4th and twist the throttle and hold on, it will pull to over 100mph.
    I passed the other day and hit 100 on the bagger in 3rd gear and was at 5200rpm or so.:rant:
  17. FLHTbiker

Dyno chart comparisons would be a good place to start and give you a very good guild to compare even if its with two different bikes. Latus Motors has a huge dyno chart comparison but I believe you have to pay a small fee to have access to it.
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

one thing to consider....when you add horsepower/torque to your bike, make sure the rest of the bike will be able to handle it. brakes, swingarm bushings, clutches, motormounts,wheel bearings, tires, ect......a bike not ready for horsepower and torque can HURT you...........just a thought.......
  19. cardboard

Big thing, Transmission and frame,
  20. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Don't forget the gas money - with power comes "Twisting Throttle Disease" and so goes fuel economy!