1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam Choice

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao: and the beat goes on...:roflmao:

BP and HRK pretty much summed it up...

JB,what kinda bike you want...a Dyno performer or a Street performer...once you go beyond bolt on,engine longevity goes down

If you want a street performer,go for torque,then find a cam that gives it's peak torque in the RPM range you want to give yourself whiplash....
    The longer the duration and later the intake valve closes moves everything to the right and takes away from the bottom(compromise)

Do you like where your cam comes on now?? if you do,try to find a cam with similar timing specs,then find a lift that your heads can handle...
  2. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

woods cams are good for what their intended for,brutal,high HP/TQ builds,not for most milder builds.they are noisy,can be be peaky with their power band & hard on valve train.good cams but calling them "the best cam" is a BIG stretch.if you want power,quite running and more broad power bands for mild to big inch stuff,look @ redshift
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I would put .636" cams in a Sportster.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Look he wants all the power he can get out of it as he has pretty much stated so go for it get the most power, when it breaks he will learn. :D

Woods cams are the best, know many running them and love em.
  5. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

their good cams,we`ve installed many sets.but the best cam is the cam that fits your build the best.lots of good cams out there.go to any all HD drag race,you`ll find a hellava lot more redshift than woods
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hard to race strapped to a dyno
    woods shine on dynos for sure
    and he builds good tq cams as well as good hp

TMan has taken woods grinds and "changed' them a bit

Redshift are good

Heck they are all good cams.... in the correct build with the goals
    of the rider in mind...

JB just needs to get the facts on his engine build
    flow, compression and decide where he wants that power
    then a solid cam choice can be made to work with
    what he has, or, what he needs to do to make
    the power he wants.

Fast costs
    how fa$t do you want to go...
  7. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Sporty motors are not cheap to build or fix for that matter . And its got to make it to the rear tire clutch upgrade chain upgrade you start to make over a hundred torque **** starts to break on a sporty . Spent lots of money on my sporty then got tired of it put it in the wind
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

My bike by no means lives on the dyno. Just a tool for my afr and that is about it.

Guys, I do admire your passion, but this bike does not belong to you. I ask questions for the purpose of a starting direction. I have a chosen a direction and that is why I am asking questions about specific things. If you do not like what it is that I am doing, go read and respond to different threads.

TommyC, I do not want to go with Woods cams and I know that they offer such a high lift as you are suggesting.

Lucifer, I thought I liked the cams that I have. But I am saying that because I just used the cams that were suggested. I was given some bad advice as far as tuning goes from the getgo. I will have to say that now with the new pipes I do feel a big difference. But is the difference that I feel what I am looking for? I remember saying that there was a specific minimum number that I want to see with changes not only from my pipes and a good tune. If I get those numbers, then I will leave everything alone. I spoke to the people that sold me my set up and it was all based on their recommendation that I buy what I did. I will know next week which direction I will be going.

Prodrag, thank you for giving me a different option as far as manufacturer goes. I have never heard of redshift? Can you tell me more about them? Snow is supposed to fall tonight so I have plenty of time. Different manufacturers is really what I was looking for from this thread, at least you are smart enough to figure that out. :D
  9. MO tex

MO tex New Member

JB do you want a bike you can ride the
    hell out of and still go coast to coast or a bike that you can run the balls off of bar to bar
  10. JohnnyBiker

This is a straight forward question. I want a bike that is dependable but yet fast. I am not looking for a bike that raises the front tire off the ground in every gear. If I wanted that, I would have chosen a different cam and done a few other things differently. I do not drink while I am on my bike so the bar to bar analogy is stupid to me. (No offense intended). When I customized my bike I did it with the intention of taking it out on longer trips, but not coast to coast, when I buy my (Bagger), then I will have my long long distance runner, until then, I need this bike to be dependable, but quick.:D
  11. MO tex

MO tex New Member

JB i have a 05 1200 and i have andrews n4 cams it has xb heads drag pipes and a big sucher air filter retuned the carb and it is a great street bike. not much can keep up with her. thinking about a s&s super e this winter for a little more top end
  12. MO tex

MO tex New Member

OUCH hate to see a sportster man get a bagger but i cant say much i also have a old shovel head thats a bobber that i ride on long rides with the wife. but if i go alone i ride the sportster i just love them sportys. o ya i do my best rideing when i have be drinking. no offense taken
  13. baggerpaul

he has the compression to make great torque and good flowing heads . he now has decent pipes he just got . i think it will run well . and if he makes a cam change if he sticks with decent lift and the short duration it will run fine . i think with the cams he has he will make good torque they are far from being junk parts thats for sure !
  14. JohnnyBiker

I agree MOTex, I really like my Sporty too, but I need a bagger for real long trips. My wife thinks that i am crazy that I will leave the bagger in the garage on short trips and take the Sporty. I am attached to my Sporty. I love my sporty... :D
  15. baggerpaul

ah once you get your ass handed to ya by one you will change your mind .:roflmao: we all end up on baggers . they just end up being fast ones thats all. geezer glides aint what they used to be!!!! you just go fast in and get were your going in confort and with your tunes:cheers: beer balls do help but ya gotta be very carefull:roflmao: them coners tend to look not quite as deep when your drinking and take them at 60 plus wooooo
  16. JohnnyBiker

can someone provide a link to redshift? I tried to look them up and all that came up was for Honda's...:banghead:
  17. baggerpaul

nightrider has a link off there site for red shift cams and if you google harley red shift cams they come up ass well john
  18. baggerpaul

you might also try zippers red shift cams
  19. JohnnyBiker

Thanks for the information. I guess it is research time. Now this is the type of stuff that just jacks me up. I have never heard of these cams. I wonder how many people around my area have, much less use them?
  20. MO tex

MO tex New Member

ya baggers can go fast if you got a mile or more to get there. my buddies here in kc that ride baggers and have spent way more than me to go fast hate my sportster. but they also weigh twice as much and with 6th gear they do have more top end