1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam Choice

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 7, 2011.

1. MO tex

MO tex New Member

JB you mite check on the cams that they use in the buell. HD has spent a lot on makeing them fast and reliable they are HD s sport bike it mite be worth checking in to
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Thanks, I know what the Buell is... And no I am not really interested in Buell cams. Thanks for the suggestion though...

Do you have a picture of you Sporty???
  3. MO tex

MO tex New Member

yes i have pics of both my bikes. i will put them on this weakend
  4. Delaware Biker

Delaware Biker New Member

Just wanted to let those of you who ride the touring bikes that I have a 103 cubic inch street glide [what a pig!!!] straight from the factory !!! I wanted to give it enough power to "pull a greasy string out of a cats ass", so after a couple of months researching everything from head work, cams, and pipes I decided to install a set of Andrews 54H cams, had the heads done by Branch O'keefe in Ca. , true duals by Freedom Performance, and the autotune Thundermax. All work was done by Frank at Freedom Cycle in wilmington, De. The results were outstanding. Factory specs. 70 lb.ft torque, 68 horsepower. {ho-hum}.
    New dyno results.... 108.62 lb.ft torque and 102.85 horsepower !!
    FYI. 54h cam has 550 lift w/238 duration.. These figures are quoted from dyno readings on nov. 9, 2011. I also want to thank Paul from Branch O'keefe for sharing his extensive knowledge in head flowmetrics and his advice on helping me choose the proper cam for getting the power i wanted for the type of riding that i do. Usually 10 mph more than the law allows !!!!
    I hope this little note will give some of you a few ideas to consider when you decide to make some changes to your bike.
    To all of you,,,, ride safe and keep the "shiny side" up !!
  5. MO tex

MO tex New Member

wow i would have thought that a new 103 would have more horses then that.glad to here you got the horses that HD should have got in the first place.ride hard ride fast
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

HD builds reliability, they can't make
    screaming bad arse engines, people would
    get mad when they have to fix stuff all the time.

However they make a bad arse 120R with some
    good tech that makes 130+ out of the box
    you can bolt right into the bike..

EPA regulations makes HD work within
    constraints for pollution, noise, exhaust
    mileage, not simple stuff.

We can pull off cats, put on better headers
    mufflers, filters, tuners, cams, ported heads
    higher compression pistons etc
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Look what a stock sporster, or an 88 and 96 had for HP and torque. They were even way worse. HRK is right the dang government is choking our bikes to the point where there full potential is extremely restricted. I to had to open my 103 up and with just pipes air cleaner and 255 cams I'm getting 90 HP and over 100 pounds of torque.
  8. Delaware Biker

:cool:
  9. Delaware Biker

Newbie, thanks for the response,,, had the bike out today for about 75 miles of
    bar hopping, beer drinking, and football watching. Seems like its getting stronger by
    the mile..... Hope your ride is running strong for you..... Later.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Ok, today I talked with Zippers because I took a little bit more time to go over their site and read about them. I have also asked around about these guys and everyone says that they are top notch.. So I went to them asking about their Red Shift cams and I am excited about these guys a lot. They had suggested for my build that I go with their .567 cam. I do not know at this point what the timing is or duration. One thing that i do not have any experience with at this point is that they eant to take my stock cams and regrind them. What does everyone think of this?? I am pretty sure that this is ok, just need some input from those that breath this stuff.
    Thanks
  11. MO tex

MO tex New Member

never herd of regrinding stock cams for more lift when stock cams already have less. but zippers are in the bisnness of perf. i think i would by new. also how reliable is you bike going to be for long rides with that much cam
  12. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Most high performance cams are reground stock cores . Fact is most of them are ! Unless you by very high lift billet cams most of them are reground cores. The billet cams are for solid roller apps above 670 at least in automotive apps.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Cool. all moot now because I am not going any further with my bike, I am standing still.. :D
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

good choice, it makes good power
    and is more fun to ride right?
  15. JohnnyBiker

Yes it is way more fun to ride!!!!! I am going to go out for a ride when it warms another 8* minimum. Right now it is 32* out side. I rode Whip home in the temp yesterday..:D it was a little cold but hey, why not it was fun too. :cool:

Thanks for your help as well HRK, much appreciated..:cool:
  16. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

What a difference a good tune makes,eh:D

That's what you'll feel like on your new RG when HR blows the doors off you with the Sportie.;) :roflmao:
  17. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

they dont regrind them,they machine off the stock lobes,press & weld on their lobes,seen off timing issues in the past with their XL cams