1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam choices

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I need some advice/suggestions on which cam will suit my needs. The bike is an 88", '03 FLHPI and I've got V&H Ovals, SE Breather,and SE Pro Race Fueler(Nothing installed yet)
    I'm looking for passing power at hi-way speed(55-65MPH) without jamming it to redline, but don't want to loose too much down low. These are the 3 choices I'm looking at.
    Crane HTC-300-2...Duration 226/236.. Lift .505 TDC .147/.152 Int 13/33 Exh 42/14
    Andrews TW26a Duration 226/230 Lift .490 TDC .138/.112 Int 11/35 Exh 41/09
    Wood TW6 Duration 240/240 Lift .510 TDC .189/.178 Int 20/40 Exh 42/18
    I'll be using a .030 Head Gasket

HP/TQ claims... Crane, idle -5000, Wood, idle- 5500 and Andrews,1800-5200

Would these cams fit the bill?? What is the rev limit on a stock ECM??

Is there another cam out there that may be a better fit??

TIA:) :devil:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

For woods click below

dyno Runs

Find your CUI and then you can check dyno runs for the various cams reported

The 6 is a good cam for straight bolt in you might want to advance it 4 degrees to help kick up CCP and raise power a bit with the 88.

Talk with bobby about the cams and the motor you have and see if he believes you should advance, go straight up or retard, I bet advance.

Now to offer you one more option. Bore it out to 95 then ad the cams too, going 95 is dang cheap and will increase the base line performance of the motor to the next level, btw you 88 was originally designed as a 95, but HD wanted to sell the upgrades.

There is no substitute for cubic inches LOL and for pulling out to pass, a bigger motor is better...

All you need is a set of HD flatop pistons, then pull your cyl and have them bored out to fit the pistons, if you don't have a local shop call Bill or Amy at Bishop's Performance - Parts & Service for Harley Davidson, Buell, and other American V-Twins he can bore them out, setup the rings and pistons in the bore and ship, so all you do is pop them on the rods. Easy ned and the 3rd grade reader stuff.

So woods tw-6 and 95 inch is my suggestion..

Others to follow
  3. Lucifer

Thanks HRK, I had a feeling you'd pick Woods tw6 ;) :) I like where the Tq comes on and peaks around 4 grand.Quite a difference in the stock EFI and the tw6,they both start climbing around the same RPM but it ends there. I'd like to do the 95, but I'm gonna have to go in stages,had to do some fancy dealing to get the breather,pipes and fueler for under $550.Cdn bux. A cam that'll work well in a 88" and 95"er would be what I'm after.:devil:
  4. duke76

duke76 New Member

redline is 5750 on stock I believe, think I raised mine to 6, Im sure everyone knows already I am going to reccommend the Andrews 26 or possibly the headquarters,hq 0034, really all the cams listed are good cams just if you decide to go with the woods I would definetly want the 95 inch and like HRK said the advance key, but for the price difference in cams I dont know if it is worth it to go with the woods but any cam you pick out of the choices above will be an improvement, Todd
  5. Lucifer

Thanks Todd & HRK... HQ0034 is another good possible, I think for now I'll just install the Stage 1, save my nickles and dimes and see if I can swing a 95"kit for next season.....but ya never know.
    Thanks for the suggestions fellas:) :devil:
  6. steveb

steveb Active Member

I don't know if anyone uses Crane cams , they closed the doors for a bankruptcy re-organization .Haven't heard when they will open up again.
  7. duke76

duke76 New Member

I have the HQ 0034 in my 88 right now that is why I went with it because it will work a little better than the 26 if I would got to a 95 big bore
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I keep forgetting to mention Kuryakyns Wild Things cams
    they work extremely well, Mike Rowland knows his stuff
    and his cams have a completely different profiles on intake and exh

Where woods, andrews sns etc all do same lift on both int and exh ie 510,510
    Mike does a different pattern like 510int 480 exh (just making up numbers for the sake of the conversation)

He has some pretty interesting thoughts and the people I have heard that run these cams make great power and have very little drive train noise.

Kuryakyn Wild Things Cams

You'll need a TG-1 or TG-2 and I would guess a TG-2 if you are going 95 later.

The thing is finding a cam for both engine sizes will be a compromise, because the 88 isn't going to have the capacity, and your 95 will probably have a bit higher compression, and that makes cams do different things.

So a cam big enough for a 95 might be a bit of a dog in the 88 especially at the bottom end, and a cam well made for a stock 88 will run out of air up top on a 95.

The TG-2 seems to be a good Middle of the Road solution.
  9. Lucifer

TG-2 seems like a good compromise..a 50* intake closing tho makes me think it would act more like a top end cam in an 88" Opinions please..
    Do the cams react differently with EFI and carb?? TC's and EFI is a new ball game to me. I'm just going by the cam specs and my little knowledge of Evo's to try to pick a midrange cam for the TC.
    The cam events (intake close, exhaust close and duration)for an 88" wouldn't be that much higher than the ones for an 80"Evo to start coming on at the same RPM would they??
    What I'm trying to accomplish is to get rid of the "hit n hope" when I pull out to pass, especially going by a big rig. Thanks again for the suggestions:) :devil:
  10. Lucifer

Todd
    How do you find the performance of the HQ 0034 in your bike??
  11. duke76

duke76 New Member

I think the performance is great, it runs great and sounds great, it definetly has lots more mid and low range power, I bet I have never hit red line with it so I cant answer about the top end, even though I did increase it to 6000 when I installed my thundermax, I would say it has a little more snap than my buddys with Andrews 26 in them but that might also have something to do with the Thundermax, I only rode it for a very short time with the Cobra tuner after I put the cams and true duals on because I wanted something that could tune each cylinder individually. I plan on eventually going with the big bore and porting and polishing the heads(I actually have a set of cylinders and a set of 06 heads sitting on my bench at home waiting to get sent off and done but ran out of funds) and that is another reason I went with the 34s because they work very well in a stock bike and then do the heads and raise the compression a touch, I will probably go to around 9.5 to 9.8 even though they say you can safely go to 10 to 1 with them, with that setup up you should be very close to 100tq and hp. I have never had my bike dynoed either before or after the cams so I cant give you any numbers but I havent ever really been interested in top end numbers because I never get there anyway and I dont really have to dyno tune it because the Tmax tunes it but to answer your question my seat of the pants dyno tells me she runs very well, Todd
  12. Lucifer

Thanks Todd, I'm not really interested in top end either and numbers aren't important to me. I'm looking for a good boost in midrange, I'm leaning toward the HQ cam and a .030 head gasket.
    So their claim of a responsive midrange would be accurate, which is basically all I'm after.
    Thanks again Todd & HRK for all the input, very much appreciated.:D :devil:
  13. Cracker

Cracker New Member

SE 204 will give you bottom & mid range & provide a racer idle, if that matters. The 204 is close to the Andrews 37 only it has 4 degrees built in advance. Do a google search or look on the Bigboyz.com site in the dyno section, there is a 88 listed there with the 204's making some very respectable numbers. Another cam that is great for bottom & mid range is the Andrews 21.
  14. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member