1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam Plate

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HicCup, Feb 24, 2012.

1. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

Fueling oil pump and cam plate... all back together, Fired 'er up and now I get a hellasious noise from the rear Jug. I put it together before reading about the metal breather upgrade. I just put in the new filters without the replacing the umbrella valves. This all started with a broken oil pump and stuck pressure relief valve.
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

lifter is bledd down maybe it needs to pump back up ?
  3. baggerpaul

you had the cams out did ya have adjustable push rods in there ? did ya let them bleed down before you started the motor ? after adjustment was done ? i know that these are stupid questions but i have seen people do that before because of not knowing any better ! its a rookie mistake but it does happen baaaad juju if ya dont wait the pistons will hit or valves will tie them selves in little bows when they crash.
  4. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

Stock push rods. Bled down between cylinders until I could turn the rods by hand. Started up for just a minute Sunday night. Just for a minute because it was already 10:30 pm. The bike sat a couple months between the time the oil pump broke and when I put it back together. Should I have pulled out the lifters and soaked them in oil?
  5. baggerpaul

na they will pump up . what i do when i replace my oil pump or start a fresh build is fill my oil filter with lucas . then spin it on it thick enough that it wont spill all over the motor when ya do it helps prime the pump as well and speeds up the lifter pump up time . might want to give it a try . i start it let it run for a few seconds shut it down let it sit and start it again. hope this helps works for me !
  6. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

Don't know if it's a lifter noise. Sounds more like piston\cylinder noise when I put the stethoscope on it.
  7. HicCup

HicCup Banned A-Hole

thanks fer the help evryone.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

hope you got some good info here
  9. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

BaggerPaul I had filled the filter with 20-50 and I primed the pump by squirting oil from a squeeze bottle with a tube fitted into the opening under the oil filter. I left the return line off the oil tank and ran the first quart into a drain pan to flush out any residual metal debris. Paul or anybody got any thoughts on that noise from my rear cylinder? Could the oil pump coming apart have caused maybe a wrist pin failure???? Or maybe the noise is telegraphing from down on the crank????
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If the noise wasn't there before then it's more likely something
    you did in the reassembly process.

sound really travels on an HD hard to tell over the net

Check all the bolt on stuff, did you get the rear
    exhaust header in the port and seated it's possible
    it's not in the port and you're hearing a lot
    of noise from that, or the exhaust loose at the trans
    check everything, if it's all good then you'll have to look
    inside.

If you have a mechanics stethoscope (any parts store for under $20)
    you can start it let it idle and check all the areas see if it's really in the cyl
    or in the lifters, cam chest, rocker box.

After that you can look in that area the sounds coming from
    and you'll have to go in.

Lifters won't make a huge noise unless one let go
    and it can sound like piston slap but it's the lifter wheel
    bouncing up and down on the cam.
  11. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

stethoscope on it again tonight. Sound is Tink Tink Tink loudest in the middle of the rear cylinder. Not hardly noticeable until put in gear and let the clutch out. Then back into neutral it sits there going Tink Tink Tink Tink. ???????????? Guess I gotta go back in. :(
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I forgot what happened all on this thread.
    But did you align up yer oil pump with alignment pins.
  13. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

No I used the loose bolts turn the wheel in 5th gear, tighten just a hair turn the wheel, tighten a hair turn the wheel tighten a hair, turn tighten method. It's pumping good oil through it and pressure is back.
  14. baggerpaul

wrist pin is more of clack clack not tick tick . You sure you did not mixed up push rods they are diffrent in length **** happens and maybe you have to much lash on one of the push rods .you would have to run that motor to the point of lock up to ruin a wrist pin . Its a bronze liner in the rod doubt your that much of an animal not to notice you had no oil pressure and still rode the bike ! But anything is possible,lol
  15. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

Shut 'er down when I heard something like lifters. looked down and, the oil light was on. So no, I didn't keep riding, I got a ride and came back with a trailer that night. I did start and run the motor a couple times in my garage to listen and try to figure things out. But not a whole lot because that oil light was on. I was pretty sure from when I first stopped and shut down that the pump had failed.
    As for the push rods, the black ones work the exhaust valves and the silver ones the intake right? I even did that part twice because after I torqued the rockers, I decided to pull 'em back out and roll 'em across a glass pane just to double check for straightness before I buttoned everything up. I did each cyl separate with piston at TDC and cams with lifters down.
    The noise is more of a "tiNk" then a tick. Maybe like tapping on a cast iron pan with a heavy wooden spoon or rolling pin. ????????? And, the stethoscope finds that tiNk tiNk tiNk sound is loudest in the middle of the rear cylinder.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  16. hotroadking

Short intake long exhaust on pushrods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

N0w you gonna explain which is the intake and which is the exhaust from the front to back ?:rant:
  18. baggerpaul

if you think its a piston problem fire it up and when its running carefully diconect that spark plug the cylinder pressure will drop and the noise will change on that cylinder because of less pressure on that piston and if there is slop the noise will change pich
  19. baggerpaul

well that ones easy . fronts intake rear exhaust . closest to the exhaust port would be the exhaust rocker.closest to intake manifold would be intake rocker
  20. hotroadking

If you can't tell where the intake and exhaust mounts to the engine ya
    shouldn't be taking the thing apart LOL