1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam Plate

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HicCup, Feb 24, 2012.

1. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

OK guys, the push rods question mark was a rhetorical illustration of the simplicity of push rod differences and, the fact mixing up the push rods is not something that I would be likely to do. Besides...I quit the heavy drinking and gettin' high many, many years ago.:D
    To pull a plug wire might be an idea though. I think the ECM will keep it going on 1 cyl. Never tried that on an injected twin.
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

3. baggerpaul

It will no problem done it many times .
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

wasn't gonna say that.:rant:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Dave my response was to CB, if he can't get instructions on his eyefone he
    can't walk out the door! LOL

Mixing up pushrods is easy if you don't look close, two long, two short,

Short are intakes, inside, Longs are exhaust - outside.

make sure they are seated in the lifter and rocker arms.

You might have a bad lifter, I would pull the cam cover, check the lifter wheels
    see if one broke, turn over by hand (plugs out, 5th gear) and watch everything move
  6. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

It's got 34,426 miles on 'er now. New Fueling Lifters went in withe S&S gear drive, Andrews cams and Fueling oil pump at 25,232 miles. That's when the cyls were punched to 95" with and got the forged pistons. Then was precision tuned with a TTS Race Tuner to make a smooth curve for 96hp and 102 ft lbs. Almost a day and a half on the dyno to get it tuned real tight. Could the oil pump failure have trashed a lifter?
  7. hotroadking

yep, if a bit of metal got caught in a wheel and jammed it.

Buddies 113 was making noise like the front piston was off the rod.
    loud, clank, even sounded like it was the piston or a cracked rod

Pulled it and nope nothing wrong
    popped off the cam cover and found a lifter
    where the roller wheel axle had given out,

It will make a heck of a racket...

Check the pushrods, check the lifters.
  8. baggerpaul

gotta remember the lifter will epty out quite a bit when it has no oil pressure . and then all the space is created between the cam and wheel . and we do run quite a bit of spring pressure.
  9. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

So, HRK sounds like yur sayin' sumthin's wrong. Open 'er back up.

And, Paul, are you sayin' If I run 'er a bit more that an empty lifter might pump back up possibly without needing to go back in?

Time is a rear commodity with the house needing repairs, the wife's car needing repairs, the college daughter's car needing repairs, My truck needing repairs and the son needing me to drive to his sports events, and, the boss wanting me to spend some time actually trying to make some money rather then spending all my time burning through Visa cards. Oh yeah being a 1099 type taxes that I'm behind on are gonna be a time consuming biatch.Seems not any time to ride or fish let alone wrench. So' If there's hope that I can run up a lifter without going in and without causing more damage that might be s a blessing. But, if she's gotta come back apart I'd rather be safe then sorry.

You guys are great with the feedback and I do very much appreciate it.

I like this site. Don't know if it's called blogging or what but, I'm likin' it.
  10. cardboard

Fish are bittin dude.......
  11. baggerpaul

no what i was saying is that the lifter might have gotten hurt because of to much lash and not enough oil cushion in the lifter body it dont take but a min to pull the liters out and check . better to be safe then sorry! i do agree ;)
  12. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

With stock push rods it takes a bit longer. Drain the oil & fuel then, the pipes comes off, the tank comes off. the rkr boxes, breathers and rockers come off then I can get the push rods out and pull off the tappet blocks to get the lifters out. then I make a trip to the dlr to buy all new gaskets, lifters and more oil. Then reverse steps for reassembly. And for a slow, easily distracted procrastinator like me it seems to take forever. But like I said and you confirmed ... better safe then sorry. I just wanna burn rubber...urrr... I mean go for a nice leisurely ride to church n back :) HPIM1763.MPG - YouTube
  13. baggerpaul

well you could save a whole lotta time and money get a set of adjustable push rods get a set of bow cutters cut them out check the lifters replace the bad one and be done in 15 min . half the labor and half the mone comp cams chevy lifter 16.99 set of push rods 99.00 riding your harley to church priceless! ;)
  14. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

CB, I wish I could just pitch it to the wind and re-spool a couple of my reels to just spend a day on the water. I guess I could always use lent and the no meat \ fish only on Fridays rule as a good enough excuse. Sh*t bro now ya got me thinkin' about more excuses to do some more procrastinatin'. Like I don't do enough of that already. Well... I do have some good hand rolled Dominican long filler Maduros that I could take along with me:) Mmmmmm... and some Gerstal Brau German N\A beer brewed by Hinninger Dople Bach.
  15. cardboard

Fish are on the beds, Hittin Spinner Baits, Plastic , and Senko's..............

Nows a good time to go. Leave all yer flustrations behind. Git a buddy and go.

Croppie and catfish are bittin good too. Nice piece of catfish or a mess of croppie fried up. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    And chase em down with a Redneck Budweiser.

Then you can calm down and work on the scooter.:gah:

PriOrities, that's what it is. My priority is fishin and riding my bike. And I set my priorities, everybody else has to git in line........
  16. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Drink beer and work on the scooter?! I can't do that. God only knows what my scooter would look like if I did! Used to play guitar in band (years n years ago). If I drank (or other) I thought I sounded like Clapton. Then I realized everyone left. Heard tapes, yech! Played straight almost everyone left. Heard tapes, smaller yech! Wouldn't want to risk my life with the scooter. ;o)
  17. hotroadking

LIttle easier trick
    get some of the short bungie cords with paperclip ends
    Remove lifter cover retaining clips
    tie up pushrod tubes in the up position.

Take out plugs

Now turn over slowly with bike in 5th turning rear wheel watch the rods
    see if anything is wrong. You can also hit the start button and crank it over
    it's not gonna start without any plugs and you can watch to see if there is an issue
    before you go tearing into it.

BTW, have extra cigars and beer just in case..
  18. direct_dave

direct_dave New Member

CB,
    Sold my Coronado Islands boat a while back for lack of time to take it out. Shore fishing or man made lakes we got here kinda suck. That is unless gettin' skunked regular don't bother ya.

HRK,
    Like the way you think brother.

FB,
    Been on the N\A beer over 15yrs now so, not too concerned. Besides back when, I was what ya called a functional drunk. Painted cars great, shot pool better.... Everything but, gettin' along with the 'Ol Lady. That didn't work so well. Guess I was just a bit too happy.
  19. cardboard

Got a 21' Gambler 209GE Bass boat, 200 Merc on it..................:D
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

15 years on N/A beer? Good for you. about 8 months for me..still trying to find one I really like, the Gerstel isn't bad. My big problem is that I make malt for beer, when i'm not on maintenance. I used to have a good time testing the results of my handiwork in a bunch of beers..may have been a time where i was feeding CB's bud some malt..anyway, cheers!!!