1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

can't get cylinders close on new cv carb and kit install

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by timsmcm, Jun 19, 2017.

1. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

I just finished new (to me) complete fuel system on my 85 softail. Rebuilt cv carb with full cv performance kit. Carb soaked and cleaned. Cv performance ez just and packing. 46 low 185 high speed jets. Found a cv carb intake with good straight flanges. New throttle cables. New air cleaner and backing plate. Every thing is new or in like new shape from heads to filter. Just did a compression test. Engine hot, throttle wide open, battery charged. 119 front barrel, 121 rear barrel. It's probably higher, used a rented auto zone tester (probably not very accurate). I made each one hold pressure for 45min. Stayed solid. Bike runs great. No coughing through carb, no backfiring through pipes. No popping on deceleration even on long hills. Seems really crisp on throttle wicks. The problem is both plugs are far apart. Front plug looks dry and a little lean. Back plug looks almost wet and black sooty. I have 4 picts of plugs but can't post them it says too large.