1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Car tire on a motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Sep 8, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

At 1st I was weired out about it.
    But I stopped and tryied to study it.
    This post was fuel for thought.

Didn't mean to upset anybody over it.
    I wasn't aware before I found out about this that anybody had even thougt about it or did it.
    But think if you could git 50,000 miles out of a tire.

And I just bought a set of 65,000 tires for my wifes truck and they was the hardest worst , noisyest tires I've ever had on a vehicle.

I watched the Videos and they showed the car tire on the motorcycle could take anything you dished out at it.
    The Triump video really took some curves

Looked like it was a little bumpy at times.

I was like you too, but I know a lot of folks I've throwed this past and they was really interested in it.

All they could say is they wanted to know more.

One big problem I had was I've not had a motorcycle that had a swingarm the would let you put a tire very wide on.
    Think the 2011 bikes only let you have a 160 tire.

I think I've only got like a 140x16 on my Flht.
    I'd like to have a 200

But you know yerself.
    when you got a bike that eats tires cause you twist the throttle too hard gits expensive.
    And when you live where its hot a lot of the year, the heat helps eat the tire faster also.

I've always had the thought I want a tire that has some part of soft rubber and sticks to the road and handles in the heat and wet conditions.

I've had a lot of friends over the years that has laid their bike down, and or couldn't stop cause they ran their tire till there wasn't enough rubber on it.

It ain't fun going down on a scooter either. I've been down myself over the years.
    It makes you adopt a differnet attitude about things.
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

They may be interested, but they don't understand the engineering aspects. I can't say I understand them either but when it comes to friction you either have it or you don't.

In other words there is measurable static friction and measurable sliding friction and the motorcycle tire has been engineered with high static AND high sliding friction and that is why it wears out in 10 to 12 thousand miles (without burnouts). This is a very simplistic answer of course.

Car tires have the similar design but for different forces but since you have 4 of them your not as worried about the sliding part. I'm not saying it isn't important, but like you said, you also want to get 30, 40 even 65 thousand miles out of them.

I have 60 thousand tires on my car for the last 4 years and I swear they will rot out before they wear out. But i also notice I can spin them real easy and my car is only a 4 cylinder.

Wow, this thread could turn into one of those oil threads if we're not careful
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  3. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I can see that on some bikes, like the hugh cruisers and turing bikes. that spend most of their time going straight on the big hiways using the car tire might make sence. I might try it if I had a bike that could use such a wide tire.
    I have thought about this before. After reading Cardboards first link, it seems like it could be a good thing.
    I'm not going to go out and by a huge bike like that just to test out the theory. I will study about it more.
  4. cardboard

So what I gather, yer trying to say Touring bikes are just for crusing in a straight line. Right........
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I would like to say thank you for posting your concerns. when I started to read this thread, I did think to myself why would someone want to do this. I did not bother to look at the videos as I though to myself that this could be dangerous.
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

CB,

I do not think that is what he is saying. I think he is saying that the touring bike, or the driver of the bike, may tend to do less cornering with the larger bike. You may be the exception to his theory, but if you think about it, his thought does seem logical. When I took out that Street Glide on Friday, I was surprisingly comfortable in the twisties. Not all are going to be. with my limited riding experience on a touring bike or any bike for that matter, a car tire does not belong on a motorcycle, they are made for completely different machines and purposes.
  7. cardboard

Got a buddy that bought a Deuce in 07 cause he thought it would be better in the twisties and curves.
    This past winter he came in off the boat and come over to my pad to see me and drink a Redneck Budweiser.
    I let him ride my Electraglide with a light jacket on and it was cold outside.
    He's about 6'5 and probaly weights around 240.
    He's never ridden a Bagger before.
    He came back with a smile on his face and promply said.

I never imagined a bike this big could handle the curves do good.
    And the fairing knocked the wind off my body. I didn't feel the cold much at all.

When I went around the curve the bike took it so easy it was like it wasn't a curve at all, all I did was sit there.
    My Deuce don't take the curves as well as the bagger.
    I'm shocked.
    My next bike is going to be a Electra Glide. They ride too comfortable.
    I said like a Cadillac huh.
    Yep is all he could say.:gah:
  8. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I'm not saying a large touring bike can't handle well in the twisties. I'm saying that a lot of the people that buy them use them to pull a trailer and cruise the interstate highways with them. The car tire might be a good option for them.
  9. cardboard

6 days for me and the Old Lady on our 25th anniversary.

Chucktx and his lovely wife went with us.

No trailer.
    Took plenty of stuff.
    Spent 153.00 on gas.

Got good milage too.

[​IMG]
  10. cardboard

Look !

Chucktx with no trailer either.
    And we rode the twisties and mountains in Arkansas

[​IMG]
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Nice pics, and sometimes even if you do pull a trailer you set up camp and take off for day rides. A car tire on my touring bike would suck in the corners. Besides it would be to dangerous doing corners.
  12. cardboard

Not pullin a trailer.
    They restrict you.

Not settin up camp

Stayin in a motel room with air conditioner, runnin water and a outhouse in the room
    And you can watch Tv and sleep real nice,
    No skeeters or bugs either
    And no ain'ts.

If were doing it were doing it right.
    Might be a cheap hotel , but its gonna be comfortable ......:gah:
    [​IMG]
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hey!!!!!!!!!!! that looks like my trailer!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. cardboard

YOu sure somebody didn't borrow it.....:roflmao:
  15. FLHTbiker

This is camping at its finest, shade trees, electric, running water, showers and full bathrooms across the street. Good friends, whiskey or a micro brew beer plus a warm bed off the ground at night. :)

Attached Files:

16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

got to have a mint on the pillow, or ya roughin it!!!!!!!! lol
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Nope this is camping at it's finest...

[​IMG]
  18. FLHTbiker

Nothing beats motorcycle camping and the trick is to get the wife to pull the trailer. :D

Attached Files:

19. cardboard

I'm with you.
    Nice lookin camp site, see it has indoor outhouse and runnin water too.
    And a skeeeter net.............
  20. FLHTbiker

CB, you gotta live where you don't need skeeeter nets. The camaraderie of camping with friends is unbeatable with great memories. Sit back in your lawn chair, camp fire going, stars above you to gaze at and sipping on your fav. brew. all the while talking bikes or other subjects or where you going to ride to the next day. :)