1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb cough . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Sep 15, 2012.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Hmm . . . but I like to blip . . .:rolleyes:
  2. joshbob

After changing back to the Champion RN12YC plugs and regapping the points (they were less than the .028" they are now), the hesitation and coughing disappeared. I also checked the lifters and only one was a bit tight. It runs good and I was able to start it up after a 7 mile warmup on the first kick. :)

Got home and put some Seafoam in the gas tank and in the oil bag. It won't hurt to try and clean the carbon deposits out of the motor and gum deposits out of the carb, etc.

And . . . I can blip all I want. :p
  3. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I replaced the points ignition with a HI-4N. After trying to set timing with it mounted upside down had to take the ride to a custom cycle shop to get the timing set. Since the shop is at a lot lower altitude was told I had to reset the carb when I took it home. The shop even found out the accelerater pump wasn't working and fixed it. They sugjested that the intermediate jet ought to be 26. Since it was 265 I changed it yesterday. Now it ran a lot worse. The sugjested main jet is 66 and it was allready in use. I just had to wonder if a thousand CC ironhead needs a slightly larger intermediate jet than the smaller engine ones.
    I also have to figure out if some dirty gas could have messed up some carb part used in low rpms. I just have to learn how to solve puzzles without a sledge hammer.
  4. joshbob

Those jet sizes don't sound right to me - unless the ol' ironhead jets are radically different from other V-twins. There are only 2 jets: pilot and main. The pilot, or low speed jet usually runs in the mid to upper 40s. The main jet somewhere in the upper 100s. The ones in my shovelhead are 46 x 185. Never heard of an intermediate jet.

If you are running a CV carb, it self adjusts for altitude.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That would be a S&S carb....here's a little tuning info...

S&S Cycle | Carb Quick Guide

and another with a jet chart....

http://www.millerscustomparts.us/sandscarbtuningtips.htm
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

LMFAO!!!:roflmao::roflmao:
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Good to hear you found the problem.

Also, not sure who Tattoo is but are you sure you want to take carb advice from this guy?
    [​IMG]
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

boss the plane the plane :roflmao:
  9. joshbob

Well . . . soytainly not the guy in the pic! The Tattoo I know is pretty knowledgeable about bikes.;)

So, it ended up being a combination of things that cured the hesitation & coughing. Changed back to the Champion RN12YC plugs, adjusted the idle mix screw up from 1 1/2 to 2 full turns, regapped the points, checked the lifters & added Seafoam to the gas (about 1 oz. per gallon). Not exactly sure what did the trick - maybe it was a combination of them all.

I have a question about the Seafoam - should I continue to use it FOREVER - like every time I put in some gas add Seafoam (1 oz. per gallon)? I also put 4 oz. in the oil bag. I think I will add it to the oil each time I change it (about every 3000 miles or so).
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  10. joshbob

11. Lucifer

In fuel I use it only a couple of times a year and as a fuel stabilizer over the winter....I've never added it to the engine oil,but if I did,I would only add it around 50 miles before an oil change,then drain and refill with fresh oil only....but I've never felt the need to add it to oil since it's changed pretty frequently anyway(3000 miles with fossil)
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah that would be like taking Ex-Lax every day just to
    prevent your arse from being clogged....
  13. Lucifer

:roflmao:You have a way with words HRK...
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

LOL yep , I would use it about every 2-3 tanks if that offten in gas only
  15. joshbob

Okay boys, and thanks. Only every now and then it is with the Ex-Lax!:roflmao:
  16. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I use that sea foam very carefully. The two gas tanks hold 2 and 1/2 gallons. It's just that the hose conecting the don't really drain them fully. If reserve runs out one just has to lean the motorcycle over toward the petcock and make it to a gas station. the manual say one should work to the right jets. It also said the jets will work at up to 7,000 miles in different altitudes. One just has to readjust the carb. I just hope to get it running right before the cold weather hits.
  17. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I've been keeping a jet log while trying to hit bull's eye. I just tried I hope a 25 intermediate jet and 44 main jet. That suggested small 25 got tried before. I figured out, I think, why it back fires a nd coughs a little bit. The numbers it is marked with aren't perfect. The 2 is easy to red it's just the second one isn't a clear 5. I'm going to have to try a for sure 25.
  18. Lucifer

looking at the chart I posted your .025 intermediate and .044 main jets look small...for 55-74"( your 1000cc=61") should be a .0265-0295 int and a .062-.072 main 1- 1.5 turns out with the idle mix...:)

http://www.millerscustomparts.us/sandscarbtuningtips.htm
  19. joshbob

Twice now I've gotten a misfire when starting. It'll just go BANG and takes multiple mucho kicks to start it - this when usually cold. It is harder to start now that the outside temps are starting to drop.:rolleyes: Sometimes it'll start first kick when warm, and at other times it'll take cleaning out before it'll start. Thought I had this all sorted out . . . had to kick my brains out yesterday trying to get the ol' girl going. Maybe 25 kicks . . . yikes! But the ol' right leg & knee are fine today. Kicked at least 50 times yesterday total.

The carb settings and fuel delivery are fine. Carb jets are 46 x 185 with 1 3/4 turns out on the mix screw; CVP tuners kit set according to Ken's instructions. So I don't think the carb is causing this. Now I'm thinking I might need to check the timing & points. There is an oil leak behind the points plate that I have tried to fix twice, but no oil seems to be getting on the points themselves. Tattoo says that if oil gets on the points it will cause hard starting or no starting at all. Of course, I still have that oil leak coming down the rear rocker box and when I start it when warm, it'll puff out white smoke for a second. I am going to address this in about another month. Could the slightly fouled plug be contributing to this issue also? Just changed plugs about 50 miles ago. Many thanks, again, my friends, for any insights.
  20. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Hello Joshbob,

After reading thru your thread it sounds like the ethanol gas is causing you issues. As everyone knows it'll foul plugs,sh*tty detonation,just crap on the spark side of things.

I'd like to advocate for star tron. Mostly becaus its good and also you can not over toxify the application.

And I bet until you can fine some non ethanol gas you'll be doomed to carry a bottle of some kind of additive. Not sure but I'm feeling that the shovel motor in general is not capatable with 10% ethanol induced gas n general. I might be wrong, just guessing.