1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb cough . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Sep 15, 2012.

1. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I've been fighting ethanol since it came out. That's why the drag bike fuel petcock helps out. It keeps the fuel hose farther away from the engine than the stock one would. It also helped that the carb manual suggested one.
    I've had to learn about adjusting the carb since the new jets are intermediate 25 and main 64.
    I just warmed the engine up for about five minutes and did the idle mixture adjustment. Even though there were back fires and carb pops after a twenty mile test ride. The manual said that once the engine really gets warmed up the idle mixture adjustment done at first will be too ritch. I had to do that adjustment again. That really got rid of that problem.
    I had to ride twenty miles today to warm the engine up again today so the accelerator pump could get adjusted.
    A custom cycle shop suggested the jets. I'm going to have to find out if they are too rich because the shop is in a town with an elevation of 3605 ft and my home town has an elevation of 5056. It is 1451 feet higher. It will really help if all I have to do is re adjust the carb when ever I hit some lower elevation.
    It might help out if the jets are used for some 883cc Ironhead since mine is a 1000cc. That size might take ritcher jets than the smaller ones.
    Energy equals mass times constant speed squared.
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Was that Einstein? Been too long since I was in high school. Hope you get it sorted out - keep tinkering - you'll eventually get it spot on.

You mentioned the accelerator pump adjustment - that's something I haven't even thought about. Maybe mine isn't shooting enough fuel into the carb. Will have to check it out.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

S&S carbs you can adjust the accelerator pump,on the CV it's not adjustable...to check it on your bike Joshbob you twist the grip and watch for a good squirt from the nozzle,if you get that ,you're golden,if not check the accelerator pump diaphragm for pinholes or cracks...not much to the CV's pretty much set 'em and forget 'em....
  4. joshbob

:cool: . . . I just came back from checking and I have fuel squirting into the carb. Still, some little thing is causing a hesitation, but only rarely. We're gonna try going to a 48 pilot. Tattoo says that should do the trick. He says with the open pipes and the bigger jet I'm not gonna know how to act! We'll see . . . :D

I do believe that shovels need slightly bigger pilot jets. I mean, there's theory, and then there's practical application and many, many riders use a 48 or 50 pilot in their shovels. Especially the kickstarts.
  5. Lucifer

Yep, the jetting in yours now would be the same for an Evo...Shovel is a different animal....a 48 will probably get rid of the hesitation...what have you got to loose,except a lil annoying hesitation;)
  6. joshbob

That's right. When Ken sent me the CV tuners kit, he said it was the same jet sizes as for the 1340 Evo. But I don't remember having hesitation when I first put the kit in. But that was 3500 miles ago and I guess things can change . . .

I have seen that the hesitation or cough is more likely to happen starting off in first from a closed throttle - if I goose it just a wee bit before engaging the clutch it takes off no hesitation or coughing. Maybe I just need to give it more gas . . . maybe my shifting technique isn't quite down yet . . . ? I will pay more attention.

But it has coughed when trying to kick start it, too.
  7. Lucifer

Only way to know for sure is to try the 48....1 kick start up is not a bad thing:cool: If it starts easier and you're not too rich,win win....Like you said there's a lot of shovels with CV's running a 48 pilot....must be a reason...:)
  8. joshbob

Cool avatar! Tattoo got the jets in today so I'm riding into the sprawling metropolis of Tarboro this morning to pick it up and install my 48. Also picking up a new set of handlebar grips. My "jackhammer" style grips are cracking already (must be oriental rubber) :eek:.

My new grips are the way old bicycle looking ones; they sorta look like coke bottles :). Tattoo has them on his ride and they are a bit softer, too.
  9. joshbob

Tattoo didn't pick up the parts the other day. :( I'm going in tomorrow and see what's up. Man, it's been raining 2 days now and not getting out of the 50s. Tomorrow will be dry and much better.
  10. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I should have known the cough is made when the idle mixture is adjusted too lean. That's because it happens when it is running out of gas and needs to be set to reserve. I should have known because the cheaply kept gas with ethanol in it tends to clog the fuel filter making the petcock get switched to reserve while over a gallon is still in the two and a half gallon tanks. I got some help. Was told it sounded like the idle mixture was adjusted too lean. That I should adjust it out, richen it, a quqrter turn at a time. It seamed to help a tid-bit the first time. Today before startup the quarter turn helped it start and made shutting the accelerater pump off easier. It really started running smoother after the ride had been for a half hour or so and the engine got warmed up. It probably took that long to warm up at 65 degree temp because the oil is still 60 weight. Not 20-50 yet.
  11. joshbob

Rained 3 days straight until late last nite. Maybe go to town this afternoon. Supposed to get in the low 70s and a bit of sun finally peeking through the clouds. This Saturday is our Cotton Festival here in Hobgood. Gonna play a set of blues songs for the folks this year including a new one I learned called, "Goin' Down Slow". Sound familiar? LOL.
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We have 2 more days until it starts raining on Friday. Bunch of us are going to ride up to an area called Troutcreek and BZ Corner on Thursday. Should be a great ride up in the Klicitate canyon and river area.
  13. joshbob

Hope you post a few pics - I really enjoy seeing them - the Pacific northwest is such a great place.:)
  14. joshbob

Picked up my new coke bottle grips & the 48 pilot jet from Tattoo and got everything installed yesterday. Grips feel really nice and give the handlebars that retro look. The new jet works great, also. Bike started quicker & easier and no hestitation blues or coughing. I'll leave the mixture screw at 1 3/4 turns out as it seems to be working just fine where it is. I might lose a mile give or take per gallon I've been told, but I don't care - the trade off is worth it. I average around 40 MPG.

Will go out for a longer ride today, boys. Man, it's gonna be really nice puttin' weather for awhile - 70s and hardly no rain in sight in the 7 day forcast. Hope you fellas are getting the same . . .
  15. Lucifer

Glad to hear the 48 is the ticket....weather here turned into Fall quickly,temps in the 40's and hail yesterday:eek: and lotsa rain for the last month:angry:
  16. joshbob

No wonder yer psychotic LOL. Todays rain chance jumped to 60% but the rest of the week looks pretty good.

Thought I'd mention I did get a cough/hesitation just as I started out from my shop - I think from not giving it enough gas or maybe the motor wasn't warmed up enough. After that, no more coughing/hesitation. Now, if I could just get rid of MY cough :eek:.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  17. joshbob

Saturday we're all going to the "Biker Barn", about 60 miles west of here. It's a business out in the sticks where the owner throws a party once a year and has a bike show. There should be some cool bikes there. Tattoo will be trucking it as he wants a designated driver to bring him home LOL. Should be a nice day for it - no rain and 70s.
  18. shovelhead13

shovelhead13 Member

I got to admit that the carb coughs when the accelerator pump isn't adjusted right. Once one gets the right jets for what ever elevation is rode through a lot one has to figure out how to adjust the carb. It also helps to adjust the idle up high enough. I bet one ought to carry a screw driver with them when the long ride takes them to some place at a drastically different elevation than the carb was adjusted for. Thirteen equals mechanical good luck.