1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Frank Gentile, Dec 12, 2016.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Check the float

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

If the new gas line doesn't do it the carbs coming off again ( the 6th time ) thanks
  3. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

Ok ! When I replaced the petcock it isn't the one with the vac line, I just plugged up the vac to the carb, is that a problem
  4. hotroadking

No the petcock you have is gravity fed, the stock HD is vac fed,
    the HD petcock won't flow without a vac line hooked up.

Since you changed the petcock you need to cap the vac port
    on the carb or you will have problems like this it simulates
    a lean condition requiring more fuel.
  5. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

Well Ithink I found the prob.took the carb off again and found partcals in pilot jet and main jet. So I drained about 2 cups of gas into a white container and guess what I saw....a lot of damn black particals in the bottom of the cup! I think every time I clean the carb and start it up I keep plugging the jets up..
    That's why she runs then quits. Well I'm gonna take off that tank. What's the best stuff to flush it out with and is there a sealer for the tank? Thanks guys I really think this has been my problem.
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

Called a local shop and they had Kareem , a cleaner and conditioner, gonna clean the tank this week end as well as the carb jets hopefully for the last time.
  7. hotroadking

You can put an inline fuel filter too just to be sure. That is the stuff to use. Some people put nuts and bolts in the cleaning solution to help scrape sides of rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

If you check the float a good halfway point between the extremes is 17 1/2 degrees. I made a wooden wedge that shape and use it whenever I have to clean or repair it. Be very careful when you prep the inside of the tank. You could end up with a "bladder" coming loose on the inside - happened to me. Second time I used a different product. Can't remember the name of it but it looked like silver paint. Great stuff.
  9. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

the carb is set up correctly as I have checked many many times, the problem is gas starvation and I've found that the internal filer ( the one on top of the petcock ) is not very good at all. I drained 2 cups of gas from the petcock into a white container and found a lot of black particles in the fuel, and that's after the filter was clean I' ll bet that's what keeps clogging my jets up. I bought Kreem cleaner and conditioner so i will remove the tank come the weekend drain the tank . I'll bet that's been the whole problem., ( I hope )I'll probably add an external 10 micron gas filter after this
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hi guys. A little late to the party. When I has carb issues with my Sportster I completely drained the gas tank. To clean it, I poured kerosene into the tank along with a small link chain. I sloshed the kerosene and chain vigorously. The chain as it hits the inside of the tank aids in knocking a lot of junk loose off the walls of the tank. I did this twice. Never another issue. I also decided to add an additional fuel filter in line to the carb.

Just another question but it needs to asked, when putting the carb back together, are YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE that you didn't tear the slide diaphragm and that the needle was reinstalled correctly?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  11. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

Bought all new everything for the carb, it's a newly rebuilt carb , I've checked everything about 6 times. That being said, yes
    newsteve1 likes this.
  12. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

Well discided to return the kreem, read to many not so good reviews. Ordered a kit from Northern. Tank off and added bunch of nuts to the tank water and shook the hec of of it and drained it many many time and boy...all the junk and patches of the old gray existing liner came out. From what I could see after using some good pressure from the hose it looks pretty clean, however when I get the kit in I will go threw the cleaning prep as well in case I missed anything. Preparing the tank is very credical to my understanding for these liners. So while I'm waiting on the kit I will for the last time remove the carb and make sure she's spotless. I'll post my progress as things are happening.
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

If you have a small Vacuum with a small hose I have cleaned one out with the sucking most of all the sentiment, it is worth the trouble to get her clean just make sure it is nice and dry and the rinse and the nuts and bolts are removed prior. JMO let us know how you make out.
  14. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

I'm soaking the tank with MEK while I'm waiting for my new kit to come in. The tank looks pretty clean but can't see the whole inside so this is the perimalary cleaning before the kits clean out. Want to be absolutely sure it's clean before the sealing.
  15. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

What small hose are you referring to
  16. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

The household Vacuum to suck up some fine particles out of the tank.
  17. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

Oh! thought you were talking about some hose around the carb or tank
  18. hotroadking

Be sure the wifes not home when you do that stuff,
    a) she'll be pissed you are cleaning out motorcycle parts with her house vac,
    b) she will know you understand how a vac works, and will assign you new duties in the home...
    newsteve1 likes this.
  19. Frank Gentile

Frank Gentile Member

Hum! Good to know....thanks
  20. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

and C) don't ever, ever use anything out of the kitchen on bike parts, either! LOL