1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb farts after Rejet.

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by mike14_07, Apr 12, 2013.

1. mike14_07

mike14_07 New Member

Have a 88 fxr, cv swap, open a/c, supertrapp (14 disc). cvp basic tuner kit installed. checked for intake leaks, acc pump, slide, carb is fresh, no vacuum leaks, bike runs great pulls hard with a 46 and 185, except every so often i get a fart if i really play with the throttle on, decel especially. i think i need to go to a 48 pilot, at 3.5 turn no hesitation still, still pulls so i figure im a little lean. any thoughts? maybe idle too high or too low? im at a loss except to small of a pilot.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I agree, with your exhaust and open a/c you are likely lean with a #46. Over 3 turns out on the mixture screw also indicates the pilot jet needs to go up one size.

Decel pop is more often a condition caused by an exhaust leak as opposed to jetting or carburetion. The slightest leak at the head pipe flanges will draw in cool air during deceleration and pop or crackle.
  3. mike14_07

mike14_07 New Member

Got the cough figured out. Acc pump was clogged. Now even with a 42 im overly rich, hesitation off idle
  4. mike14_07

mike14_07 New Member

Ok i went through the carb completely again, float level was off, put the 46 and 185 just so i can explain whats going on. Runs ok. But still has a hesitation, so i start the mixture screw adjustment procedure, turn it in goes idle goes down turn it back out, idle goes up turn it an 1/8th hesitates another 1/8th so on and so on all the way to 3.5 turns. Go the other same thing all the way to lightly seated. And it still runs its idled down but still runs. So i put it back at 2 turns. And pull the enricher out idle goes up and has great throttle respones. So im guessing i will be needing a 48 pilot
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

set the screw out at 2.5 turns,
    warm up and set throttle using throttle stop to about 1500 rpm
    now turn in until you get idle change, count turns,
    then turn back out until you get idle change (past 2.5 turns so if you go in 1 turn to the idle change back out 1 so you're at 2.5 but count all the turns)
    so if the out is 2 more turns you go to the middle 3 total turns one in two out 1.5 is half
    run it back in 1.5 turns this is the correct position.

If you can turn it all the way in and it still runs you are too rich
    so back down the pilot and try again.

should end up 2.5 to no more than 3 turns off bottom for correct jetting
    exhaust will change that setting as well, I could pull off my thunderheader
    and pop on some VH longshots and it wouldn't accelerate, bogged down
    as it was too rich.
  6. mike14_07

mike14_07 New Member

Thank you that should help. Should i listen for a slight idle change or will it drop a good bit? And you were right the 46 is way too rich, my plugs are black. Im gonna get a new set in the am. Should i drop to a 45 or 42?
    Im currently running a 46 and a 185
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't go down to a #45. The 46 pilot should be fine after you get the mixture screw dialed in. Follow the instructions included with the kit and you should be good.

Make sure you are starting off with a fresh set of plugs after the float and accel pump issues were resolved.

The idle change when setting the mixture is sometimes tough to hear/feel on a TC88 so I often bring the idle speed setting down as low as possible just to find the point where the idle starts to stall when turning the mixture in. Once dialed in I reset my idle higher.
  8. mike14_07

mike14_07 New Member

Think i could have a timing or weak spark problem? And i will get a fresh set of plug and retry today. I will get something to read the rpms to see the ifle drops since it wont be a drastic drop